Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

HighPoint at Columbus Commons

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development HighPoint at Columbus Commons

This topic contains 586 replies, has 99 voices, and was last updated by  JAL 4 hours, 6 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 587 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

MichaelC said:
    Not to segue (too much), but speaking of quality of small green space across downtown, the Neighborhood Launch and surrounding neighborhood sure could use some, as could the students from Columbus State and CCAD…

CCAD has a nice “quad” at Cleveland & Gay.

CSCC also has a large community space in the middle of campus, though it’s more hardscape than grass/green.

Though we could always use more in that area, as is called for by the 2010 Downtown Plan:

http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/downtown-2010-plan-idea-3-creative-campus

JAL
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

MichaelC said:
    Not to segue (too much), but speaking of quality of small green space across downtown, the Neighborhood Launch and surrounding neighborhood sure could use some, as could the students from Columbus State and CCAD…

Agreed- North of Broad St and East of High St (bordered by I-71 & 670) there really is no green space or small pocket parks. Sensenbrenner park is technically the only park in this area, yet a good amount of the residential units downtown currently fall in this area. It would be nice if one or two of those small surface lots would go green.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Thanks for posting that map, Walker.

I can’t tell which street is which, unfortunately, but I’m sure the plans are indicative of future green space in the neighborhood that isn’t necessarily affiliated with the respective neighborhood colleges.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

MichaelC said:
    I can’t tell which street is which, unfortunately, but I’m sure the plans are indicative of future green space in the neighborhood that isn’t necessarily affiliated with the respective neighborhood colleges.

That green space in the top left corner of the photo is at the NW corner of Long & Cleveland, if that helps to orient you. I’m not sure who owns that parcel of land currently, but I’m fairly certain its private and not owned by CSCC or CCAD.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Perfect. Thanks, Walker!

Since I’m moving into the neighborhood this week, I had better begin to learn about my new neighbors.

Apologize for veering off topic. To veer back on:

I think it’s a good problem to have that people are upset to lose downtown park space. That it was always there as a placeholder aside, the green space served its purpose of reinvigorating that quadrant of Downtown–and that energy is only building. The addition of new residents and new/relocated businesses will continue that energy, not dampen it.

In time, investors/developers will build up the opposite side of High Street, as those responsible for de Novo have done, and the lamentation of decreased park space will be dampened by the efficient use of the park space that was always intended to be permanent.

ehill27
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

mrl said:
    I also don’t know who is going to want to live in the interior apartments if the city plans to continue having concerts and festivals Thurs-Sun during the summer. I would think the sound would be fairly annoying.

I’d expect the park-facing units to be priced higher than the others, and I’d expect them to lease faster than the rest. Different strokes for different folks, but many of those who are looking at a location such as this will want to face the park, not just because it’s a park, but because of free access to events.

NerosNeptune
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Well, would you rather face the nice park, or the bus transit mall/high street?

scorpcmh
    scorpcmh
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Late to this as usual…totally agree with Walker. I am very confused by those wanting Columbus Commons to remain “as is”. It was never planned that way and we are lucky that development is happening sooner rather than later (or never). I live on Gay St. I walk every day with my dog. Greenspace is not a problem! One of my favorite parks, Deaf School/Topiary is a huge 5 minute walk. Columbus Commons is slightly more, about 8-10. I also walk to the Scioto Mile frequently. I honestly don’t think we need to walk out our door onto greenspace in an urban environment. Downtown has far more than most Columbus neighborhoods which is great. But let’s get some more density and people, not large swaths of greenspace.

scorpcmh
    scorpcmh
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

BTW, I also posted, Neighborhood Launch apartments appear to be under way.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

scorpcmh said:
    BTW, I also posted, Neighborhood Launch apartments appear to be under way.

Yep! More info & photos on the construction, here: http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/2-new-five-story-apt-bldgs-w-underground-pkng-245-277-e-long-st/page/3#post-466327

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Scorpcmh,

I completely agree that Downtown needs more density and more people, and I know that places like Columbus Commons, Topiary Park, Scioto Mile, etc., make it all the more enticing.

The Commons will have some more shade with the new apartments going in, and may have a slightly more intimate feel than when the untrammeled view existed from High Street. I suspect the apartments will be in very high demand, and that we will continue to see a spattering of new developments across the area.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Here’s a photo I took of High Street yesterday from Mound looking north. Notice the dense concentration of buildings along High around the Westin followed by a giant empty gap between Main and the Fifth Third Building:

I consider that “underutilized space” along our main corridor through Downtown. A giant multi-block gap like that completely kills the continuity of a street/district. The lack of large gaps is what makes the Short North attractive and walkable.

The Columbus Commons Apartments (and the ground floor retail shops in those building) will help to close this large gap and reconnect Downtown into one larger, walkable, vibrant neighborhood again.

Patch
    Patch
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    Here’s a photo I took of High Street yesterday from Mound looking north. Notice the dense concentration of buildings along High around the Westin followed by a giant empty gap between Main and the Fifth Third Building:

I consider that “underutilized space” along our main corridor through Downtown. A giant multi-block gap like that completely kills the continuity of a street/district. The lack of large gaps is what makes the Short North attractive and walkable.

The Columbus Commons Apartments (and the ground floor retail shops in those building) will help to close this large gap and reconnect Downtown into one larger, walkable, vibrant neighborhood again.

Well thank goodness that gap will be filled!

We can’t have an area without a dense concentration of buildlings!

Praise the concrete jungle gods!

:-P

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Patch said:
    We can’t have an area without a dense concentration of buildlings! Praise the concrete jungle gods!

We shouldn’t have any buildings at all! All of Downtown should be a big grass lawn! Praise the suburban lawncare gods!

:-P

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

how about a shout out to the light rail gods? anyone?

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 587 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?