Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Columbus City-Wide Curbside Recycling - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus City-Wide Curbside Recycling – News & Updates

This topic contains 127 replies, has 45 voices, and was last updated by News News 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 128 total)
  • Author

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Snarf said:
    So that’s kosher then? I’m good with that!

It’s gotta be. I’m not having unbagged recycling in my house. That’s just nasty.

tourist19
    tourist19
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Mine is over half full and doesn’t get picked up till July 31st. I’m soooooooo happy with it!

I thought the no plastic bags meant more along the lines they couldn’t take like grocery store bags to recycle. I am sure I will have extra bags of recycling at least in the beginning.

Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Twixlen said:
    It’s gotta be. I’m not having unbagged recycling in my house. That’s just nasty.

We don’t even keep the recycling in the house anymore. rinse it out, goes right out the door into the bin.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

City to Village: No Plan B for recycling containers
    By GARY SEMAN
    THISWEEKNEWS.COM
    Wednesday July 18, 2012 10:57 AM

Complaints about the new recycling carts are growing louder in German Village. Norman Hall, a member of the German Village Society board of trustees, lambasted the 64-gallon carts as unsightly and too big, and has urged the city of Columbus to come up with an alternative plan. “I want to recycle and I will recycle,” Hall said. “We just need a smaller option. This 64-gallon (cart) just doesn’t work.”

READ MORE: http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/germanvillage/news/2012/07/17/city-to-village-no-plan-b-for-recycling-containers.html

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

These people are petulant brats.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM
    Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh1fWB3pPiQ&feature=player_embedded
    Hmm. Maybe this is the extended director’s cut.

Yay for my friends!
    I especially enjoyed the performance of JOSH Kessler as the delivery person.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

joev said:
    These people are petulant brats.

i think that’s an overstatement. If you live on a street with no driveways and very little space between houses (like much of GV, VV, IV, Harrison West, etc.), there is a real issue as to where to stash one of these things. I don’t know where I’ll put mine when it comes.

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I do. I deal with it, because recycling is better than complaining. They already have their trash cans stowed somewhere – put the recycling can next to it.

cheap
    Login to Send PM

joev said:
    I do. I deal with it, because recycling is better than complaining. They already have their trash cans stowed somewhere – put the recycling can next to it.

exactly.what is so hard about this??

last neighborhood i lived in,everybody in the neighborhood would put their can beside the house,or in the backyard if it wasn’t trash day

why?because trash cans look like shit sitting out on your curb,and people didnt want can hunters/scrappers/identity thieves digging through their cans.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

joev said:

you know, most of the neighborhoods I’m talking (including mine) about have 300 gallon round dumpsters in the alley precisely because there isn’t room to stow trash cans next to houses. They don’t even have trash cans, so your statement demonstrates a little lack of understanding.

Look back in this thread and you’ll see that I already recycle. I like recycling. I’m just saying that this new system is not without problems for many neighborhood layouts.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

cheap said:
    exactly.what is so hard about this??

for one example, picture: 4 unit town home building. room for 4 cans total, two each on end of the building, each in an enclosure. No back yard access, no room in the enclosures for more cans, and no side of the house.

I’m glad the city is doing something, but the small red bin does work better for some situations.

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

groundrules said:
    you know, most of the neighborhoods I’m talking (including mine) about have 300 gallon round dumpsters in the alley precisely because there isn’t room to stow trash cans next to houses. They don’t even have trash cans, so your statement demonstrates a little lack of understanding.

Look back in this thread and you’ll see that I already recycle. I like recycling. I’m just saying that this new system is not without problems for many neighborhood layouts.

German Village is the neighborhood in question here. Every house has its own trash can – there are not 300-gallon alley containers. I do understand the issue: Some people in German Village view this as a problem that the city needs to fix rather than an extremely minor annoyance that can be solved with 10 minutes of creative thinking.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

groundrules said:
    for one example, picture: 4 unit town home building. room for 4 cans total, two each on end of the building, each in an enclosure. No back yard access, no room in the enclosures for more cans, and no side of the house.

I’m glad the city is doing something, but the small red bin does work better for some situations.

You can also keep your subscription to Rumpke with the red bin if it works for you. On my block in IV we’ve got the 300 gallon bins and most people have off street parking, I plan on leaving my bin in the driveway and work from there.
    +1 for creative thinking when it comes to these bins.

GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Most of the 300 gallon containers I see are in pretty rough shape. Lids busted off, cracks and even ones that have huge holes in them. I don’t know if that’s due to the materials, their design or their sheer size. Perhaps when replacements are ordered they might be able to be smaller since the recycling bins will accept some of the trash volume. But the trash bins have to fit the claw.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 128 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?