Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Columbus City Council Putting the Brakes on City-Wide Recycling Program?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus City Council Putting the Brakes on City-Wide Recycling Program?

This topic contains 79 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by News News 3 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Snarf said:
    What if everyone everywhere simply burned their trash?

Wouldn’t work. The violent winds of Columbus would either blow out the fires or blow burning trash around the city.

Damn this wind and it’s unique hindrance on our city’s ability to recycle! (shakes fist at the sky)

M.O.
    M.O.
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Twixlen said:
    Why is it a “problem” to have recycling trucks pick up curbside, but not for yard waste? How are they different (besides the obvious seasonality)?

There’s *nothing* wrong with curbside recycling. There’s lots wrong with paying for a separate fleet of trucks and a separate route schedule/crew to accomplish this, especially when we have a pretty efficient collection point system that only requires us to not sit at home waiting for a big, expensive new truck to do it for us.

Tenzo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Twixlen said:
    Also solvable. People recycle from their houses/apartments/offices/businesses. Then the city comes and gets it *and* the trash. Again, education is key. Enforcement, key.

Cities with voluntary recycling programs have higher participation than those with mandated systems.

In Chicago they had recycling. Now I just drive four blocks down to the krogers.
    In Philly you would get a ticket for not recycling.
    However the rules were so strict on recycling that you would get a ticket once a month for improperly seperating recyclables or someone would drop a water bottle in your papers; that people generally did not recycle.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

M.O. said:
    …especially when we have a pretty efficient collection point system…

What criteria are you basing “pretty efficient” on? Participation rates? Landfill diversion rates?

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

M.O. said:
    There’s *nothing* wrong with curbside recycling. There’s lots wrong with paying for a separate fleet of trucks and a separate route schedule/crew to accomplish this, especially when we have a pretty efficient collection point system that only requires us to not sit at home waiting for a big, expensive new truck to do it for us.

I think you think you’re making a lot more sense than you’re actually making. I’ve lived in places where there were city/county/mandated recycling programs – all of the points you bring up are things that were figured out back in the ’80′s, when it was a Brand New Idea. It doesn’t actually cost more money for there to be systematic recycling, as has been mentioned in this thread, which you have ignored. What does happen is SWACO gets less money in tipping fees, and they aren’t for that plan at all.

You are the one that mentions a perceived problem of trucks everywhere, stopping and starting and picking up and burning gas and whatall. I’m simply pointing out how that can be a non-issue with some adjustments.

*ETA – I see you edited your post to take out the snark-i-tude, when I was asking a question that wasn’t intended to be snarky, but a point of clarification.

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Tenzo said:
    Cities with voluntary recycling programs have higher participation than those with mandated systems.

In Chicago they had recycling. Now I just drive four blocks down to the krogers.
    In Philly you would get a ticket for not recycling.
    However the rules were so strict on recycling that you would get a ticket once a month for improperly seperating recyclables or someone would drop a water bottle in your papers; that people generally did not recycle.

Hmmm… I am not finding any sort of source material for voluntary particpation > than manditory. I found a couple places where cities have studied voluntary vs manditory and come out with the opposite conclusion, though.

Also – NY had “tickets” too… back in 1987 when the program was in its infancy. They also required some pretty enormous efforts at keeping everything separate, including bundling all papers with a specific twine into a specific size. That sort of fussiness has long since turned into everything-in-this-one-giant-garbage-can-like-tub process, though. It’s ideal to have it be divided out by category, but most recyclers know that it’s asking too much of the human segment of the process.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Snarf said:
    What if everyone everywhere simply burned their trash?

Isn’t that what those backyard fire pits are for? ;-)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I highly recommend contacting Columbus City Council members to let them know if you think a curb-side recycling program is important to you:

http://council.columbus.gov/content.aspx?id=5600

M.O.
    M.O.
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    What criteria are you basing “pretty efficient” on? Participation rates? Landfill diversion rates?

No stats whatsoever, just full bins that are rarely overstuffed save for Monday mornings.

M.O.
    M.O.
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Twixlen said:
    I think you think you’re making a lot more sense than you’re actually making. I’ve lived in places where there were city/county/mandated recycling programs – all of the points you bring up are things that were figured out back in the ’80′s, when it was a Brand New Idea. It doesn’t actually cost more money for there to be systematic recycling, as has been mentioned in this thread, which you have ignored. What does happen is SWACO gets less money in tipping fees, and they aren’t for that plan at all.

You are the one that mentions a perceived problem of trucks everywhere, stopping and starting and picking up and burning gas and whatall. I’m simply pointing out how that can be a non-issue with some adjustments.

*ETA – I see you edited your post to take out the snark-i-tude, when I was asking a question that wasn’t intended to be snarky, but a point of clarification.

The reason I mention trucks everywhere is that’s what this thread started out about: Tabling Columbus plans to run two trucks everywhere. You continue to argue as if Columbus has a better plan on the table, but it doesn’t.

I realize you’re not trying to be snarky, but while you continue to point out the better options employed by other cities you appear to be ignoring the fact that if we commit to the two-truck/two-route system now we won’t likely be seeing any of those better systems implemented anytime soon.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I would hope that we would just get to have a collect everything bin without restrictions. When my yard waste is set out on time and NOT picked up, which has been every time I’ve ever set it out since we bought this house (4 years), I have had to pick trash out of the bags. Not my fault and I would get upset getting tickets for such nonsense.

DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

M.O. said:

And the last decade of recycling in Columbus shows that around 8% of total households are willing to use this “efficient” collection point system. If you find that to be an effective and efficient recycling system, then you have much different definitions than I do.

M.O.
    M.O.
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

DavidF said:
    And the last decade of recycling in Columbus shows that around 8% of total households are willing to use this “efficient” collection point system. If you find that to be an effective and efficient recycling system, then you have much different definitions than I do.

I said “efficient.” You added “effective.” But I think the word you’re pulling for here is closer to “ideal.”

The plan to run an augmented fleet of trucks all over a city where few people currently pay to recycle and a small number (by your eight-percent cite) drop-off recycling was not efficient, effective, or ideal.

DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

M.O. said:
    I said “efficient.” You added “effective.” But I think the word you’re pulling for here is closer to “ideal.”

The plan to run an augmented fleet of trucks all over a city where few people currently pay to recycle and a small number (by your eight-percent cite) drop-off recycling was not efficient, effective, or ideal.

Yep. So then I guess we just call the whole thing off and admit that people in Columbus will not recycle?

M.O.
    M.O.
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

DavidF said:
    Yep. So then I guess we just call the whole thing off and admit that people in Columbus will not recycle?

Nope. We quit pulling for a plan that would have committed the city to running dual trucks/crews all over the city regardless of the take rate and get behind one that scales to a city that currently has a low recycling rate but could have a much better rate with curbside recycling. One truck/crew that can handle both pickups or a plant that can profitably separate residential recyclables from the trash would be a great start.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?