Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Columbus City Council Putting the Brakes on City-Wide Recycling Program?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus City Council Putting the Brakes on City-Wide Recycling Program?

This topic contains 79 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by News News 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I live near the SW Corner of Franklin Park – does anyone know of a public recycling dumpster in the immediate proximity?

The one in the little park north of the field north of Kroger is walking distance from your house. That’s the one I always use. It’s directly across the pedestrian bridge from Wolfe Park and just on the other side of the tracks from Franklin Park.

Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ChrisSunami said:
    The one in the little park north of the field north of Kroger is walking distance from your house. That’s the one I always use. It’s directly across the pedestrian bridge from Wolfe Park and just on the other side of the tracks from Franklin Park.

on broad? in wolfe park?

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

M.O. said:
    Yes. You combine your recycle stop with a trip you already have to make. Trucks make a few big stops to collect from the dumpsters instead of stop/start/stop/start all over the city grid. Much less “recycling” blowing around the neighborhood from these half-baked recycling trays as well.

We’ll have to disagree on the efficiency… and really, the recycling “blowing” around the neighborhood is such a simple problem to solve. Those teeny bins have long been outpaced in most places that do large-scale-from-the-home recycling.

M.O. said:

Trash as opposed to recycling involves a public health component, as in rotting flora & fauna that attracts flies & pestilence. There’s a reason the whole city isn’t driving its *trash* out to public collection points (I’m sure you’ve seen overflowing *recycling* dumpsters on Monday mornings). If recycling could be safely and efficiently separated and processed from common trash collection I would say you’re onto something.

Also solvable. People recycle from their houses/apartments/offices/businesses. Then the city comes and gets it *and* the trash. Again, education is key. Enforcement, key.

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

As for windblown, it seems the curbside trash can lids blow open with about 30 – 35 mph of wind. There have been times when I rake the windblown paper out of my side yard and find junk mail from three or four different addresses.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    If it is a budget matter, what would you like to see get cut to provide funding for recycling?

As Joev said earlier, charges could be applied for trash pickup and that could cover the cost of recycling. Properly funding allocation could also provide for the enforcement/cleanup of the small percentage of illegal dumping that could occur.

Alternatively, tipping fees at the city landfill could be increased, which would increase costs for any person or company dumping trash, incentivizing recycling as well as allocating additional funds for recycling programs.

DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

M.O. said:
    Yes. You combine your recycle stop with a trip you already have to make. Trucks make a few big stops to collect from the dumpsters instead of stop/start/stop/start all over the city grid. Much less “recycling” blowing around the neighborhood from these half-baked recycling trays as well.

Trash as opposed to recycling involves a public health component, as in rotting flora & fauna that attracts flies & pestilence. There’s a reason the whole city isn’t driving its *trash* out to public collection points (I’m sure you’ve seen overflowing *recycling* dumpsters on Monday mornings). If recycling could be safely and efficiently separated and processed from common trash collection I would say you’re onto something.

And with just the recycling dumpsters, what percentage of the residents of Columbus actually recycled? You do have to take actual behavior into account. Personally, I recycled much more when I had curbside pickup.

byJody
    byJody
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

If we think individuals should transport their own recycling to central collection points, why don’t we do the same with our garbage? We make it so convenient to do the wasteful thing and hard to do the sustainable act. Too bad one truck can’t pick up both bundles.

Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

byJody said:
    If we think individuals should transport their own recycling to central collection points, why don’t we do the same with our garbage? We make it so convenient to do the wasteeful thing and hard to do the sustainable act. Too bad one truck can’t pick up both bundles.

I don’t think that. If people want their recycling picked up and want to pay for that service, just as they do with their trash, then that’s great! I personally don’t want to pay to support a recycling system I think is silly though when it’s easier for me personally to drop it off somewhere nearby.

Too bad one truck can’t pick up both bundles indeed.

Andrew Hall
    Andrew Hall
    Login to Send PM

Snarf If people want their recycling picked up and want to pay for that service, just as they do with their trash, then that’s great!

City of Columbus residential properties don’t pay for trash pickup, yes?

A.

Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Andrew Hall said:
    City of Columbus residential properties don’t pay for trash pickup, yes?

A.

I believe it’s paid quarterly as part of your water/sewer bill? I don’t have a bill here with me.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Snarf said:
    I believe it’s paid quarterly as part of your water/sewer bill? I don’t have a bill here with me.

Nope. Trash is “free”.

Andrew Hall
    Andrew Hall
    Login to Send PM

Snarf said:

No.

A.

M.O.
    M.O.
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

DavidF said:
    And with just the recycling dumpsters, what percentage of the residents of Columbus actually recycled? You do have to take actual behavior into account. Personally, I recycled much more when I had curbside pickup.

DavidF: I’m very confident guessing the percentage is low. There’s no doubt the percentage would go up with curbside recycling, but before this thread morphed into a discussion of simultaneous trash/recycling pickup it was a thread about City Council holding off on a plan to dispatch an augmented fleet of recycling trucks all over the city to stop-and-go at every address.

Even if we do pony up the $$ to modify trash trucks to simultaneously collect recycling we face the “how many will actually do it” question you pose, but if that’s *after* we contract to have Rumpke, et al. order a bunch of new trucks to retrace the same stops the trash trucks make I think your question becomes more important yet.

Once we’re committed to the two-separate-runs scheme I’m guessing no $$ left for a fleet that can collect trash/recycling in one stop anytime soon.

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Why is it a “problem” to have recycling trucks pick up curbside, but not for yard waste? How are they different (besides the obvious seasonality)?

Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

What if everyone everywhere simply burned their trash?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?