Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

COLD

This topic contains 32 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Straight-up Kevin Bacon weather. 6 degrees.

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

geoyui said:
    I’ve decided I’m fine with 9 degrees, because I don’t live in Oymyakon:

Coldest village on earth

Russian village of Oymyakon has lowest recorded temperature for any permanently inhabited location (-71.2 C)

Nothing grows so locals live off diet of reindeer meat and horse meat but never suffer malnourishment

Locals keep their cars running all day for fear of them not starting again if turned off

Digging graves for a funeral can take up to three days as ground has to be thawed with hot coals

Oymyakon’s solitary school only shuts if temperatures fall below -52C.

Heh…I’ve got a buddy who’s a FB Friend, guy works 3-4 months a year as a fuel technician in Antarctica. After seeing his photos the last couple years, I’m just not worked up by single digit temps anymore.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

There was a perfectly frozen circle of puke outside of Speedway this morning, looked like a pizza.

Mister Shifter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Did you try the pizza??

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Might have been a Speedway pizza…

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ricospaz said:
    Might have been a Speedway pizza…

Some mornings when I’m hungover, I pause and stare at the glistening pepperoni casually rotating in the warmth of the plexiglass case and imagine the possibilities. I’m glad today was not one of those days.

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I feel that way when people bring in donuts to work. Today someone brought Tim Hortons, not my favorite but hey, it’s a donut!

Mister Shifter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Snarf said:
    Some mornings when I’m hungover, I pause and stare at the glistening pepperoni casually rotating in the warmth of the plexiglass case and imagine the possibilities. I’m glad today was not one of those days.

Add Tobasco, Tapatio, Cholula or Louisiana Hot Sauce and you’re good to freakin’ go, man.

Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I never cease to be impressed by the line of blue collar, hard working dudes in Speedway at like 5:30 in the morning, loading up on hot dogs, pizza, burritos, and giant sodas.

Those guys are hardcore.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:
    I never cease to be impressed by the line of blue collar, hard working dudes in Speedway at like 5:30 in the morning, loading up on hot dogs, pizza, burritos, and giant sodas.

Those guys are hardcore.

Indeed. What I like are the business suit women though getting the 44oz fountain diet cokes.

the_linotypist
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It was so cold this morning that I saw a kid in Weinland Park with his pants pulled up.

ToddAnders
    ToddAnders
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Now that’s some funny shit.

L.I. to Buckeye
    L.I. to Buckeye
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Porky said:
    It was so friggin cold out this morning, any moisture on the face froze instantly.

On another note, the A-hole down the street keeps his dog outside, not in insulated dog house mind you but a friggin crate. I went back and forth last night on whether to call the humane society on him or not, I only hesitated because the dog is a Pit Bull and if they were to take the dog, and he didn’t make amends to get the dog back. I know they don’t always adopt out pits and would hate to sentence the dog to a certain death.

So should I call or not?

What do you think dog?

Call. Seriously. It’s way too cold for ANY pet or person to be outside and exposed. Pit Bulls are no longer automatically tagged as vicious. There are a number of them up for adoption at the Franklin County Dog Shelter. Unless he’s a vicious dog, there shouldn’t be a problem.

You could be saving the dog’s life.

Here’s the number for the Capital Area Humane Society’s Cruelty Investigations Department: 614-777-7387 ext. 250.

bjx
    bjx
    Login to Send PM

Definitely a good suggestion below. But you are right it may be a death sentence for the dog and unwanted conflict in your life.

A little less of a conflict may be to go to the neighbor and very mellowishly? mention that “you had the exact same kind of dog” and that “your dog died a couple years ago during the cold” (all lies of course – I hope). Maybe that will change this guys mind. Sometimes it is just a matter of perspective; especially with pets since they are so dependent on their owner’s attentiveness. However, since it is a pitbull, the family is likely white trash so you may end up staring down the barrel of a shotgun in illegal possession with the serial numbers scratched off…make sure you are strapped.

What I would do, personally, is ask if the dog is tame and if the guy is cool offer to keep the dog in your garage/spare room/basement for the rest of the cold spell. Then if the owner OKs it keep it in a spare room for a couple of days, who knows? maybe you will make a new friend (dog that is,not owner)?

L.I. to Buckeye said:
    Call. Seriously. It’s way too cold for ANY pet or person to be outside and exposed. Pit Bulls are no longer automatically tagged as vicious. There are a number of them up for adoption at the Franklin County Dog Shelter. Unless he’s a vicious dog, there shouldn’t be a problem.

You could be saving the dog’s life.

Here’s the number for the Capital Area Humane Society’s Cruelty Investigations Department: 614-777-7387 ext. 250.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Coremodels said:
    Heh…I’ve got a buddy who’s a FB Friend, guy works 3-4 months a year as a fuel technician in Antarctica. After seeing his photos the last couple years, I’m just not worked up by single digit temps anymore.

I have a buddy who put together the computer network at Amundsen/Scott base at the South Pole. He has spent at least one winter at the pole.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?