Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

Poindexter Village Redevelopment - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Poindexter Village Redevelopment – News & Updates

This topic contains 163 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by  heresthecasey 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Tagged

demolition

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 164 total)
  • Author

Gig3000
    Login to Send PM

What businesses would be affected by turning it into a landscaped/park area?

Gig3000
    Login to Send PM

Gig3000 said:
    What businesses would be affected by turning it into a landscaped/park area?

Also, how much of the bricks etc can be recycled?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    So there’s no immediate plans to build something there? I know walker showed me this plan that had 3 story homes side by side built in franklinton. Is that suppose to be somewhere else?

Are you referring to renderings from the community planning meetings?

http://www.columbusunderground.com/next-steps-for-east-franklinton-plan-to-be-decided-next-week

There’s no developer attached to those renderings (as far as I’m aware). Just brainstorming material that is being used for the community plan.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

cbus11 said:
    One could always hope for an infill project like Wagnebrenner did in HW and is planning to do at the Columbus Coated Fabrics site in Weinland Park. There is a lot of inexpensive housing available in that area though and I do not think it would happen without some kind of significant grant money.

Well, I imagine there wouldn’t need to be the same amount of money invested in brownfield/industrial cleanup, which is what a lot of the grant money in Harrison West, Jeffery Place and the Timken site has/will be used for.

cbus11
    cbus11
    Login to Send PM

I was thinking more like neighborhood stabilization grants. I think this area has promise and will get a second glance when Wagco finishes its other commitments. Wagenbrenner is very good at getting multiple funding sources for their projects. The infrastructure improvements in WP are a prime example.

Another issue is that the area seems to be moving along slowly, but surely and maybe just letting market forces have their way is the best course of action.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

cbus11 said:
    Another issue is that the area seems to be moving along slowly, but surely and maybe just letting market forces have their way is the best course of action.

Yes, the entire Near East Side has been changing at a very slow pace, which I think is due to how large of an area this is. I don’t think there’s a lot of connectivity between adjacent neighborhoods as there’s still a lot of empty space left to fill in. So you have a nice amenity like the Lincoln Theatre or Franklin Park, and yet they’re still worlds apart.

As someone who lives in The KLD, we’re still a mile from Poindexter Village and OSU Hospital East, and I almost feel that development occurring in one place or the other won’t have a ripple effect that has a very strong effect that far away. Not that I don’t want to see development happening… but just explaining why the large land area contributes to a much slower rate of redevelopment overall.

jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    Yes, the entire Near East Side has been changing at a very slow pace, which I think is due to how large of an area this is. I don’t think there’s a lot of connectivity between adjacent neighborhoods as there’s still a lot of empty space left to fill in. So you have a nice amenity like the Lincoln Theatre or Franklin Park, and yet they’re still worlds apart.

As someone who lives in The KLD, we’re still a mile from Poindexter Village and OSU Hospital East, and I almost feel that development occurring in one place or the other won’t have a ripple effect that has a very strong effect that far away. Not that I don’t want to see development happening… but just explaining why the large land area contributes to a much slower rate of redevelopment overall.

The Bexley RR tracks is a great example of how development/wealth does not automatically come just because of proximity.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

East Columbus Housing Project Faces Demolition
    Thursday April 19, 2012 1:51 AM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Poindexter Village in east Columbus was slated for demolition. Residents at Poindexter paid rent based on income. So, many said they would have a hard time affording rent and taking care of their family. Half of the residents have moved out of the housing development, 10TV’s Justin Moss reported.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/04/19/columbus-poindexter-village-tear-down.html

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Columbus Mileposts | May 2, 1940: Poindexter Village was once a haven for the poor
    By Gerald Tebben
    FOR THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
    Wednesday May 2, 2012 4:34 AM

Residents began moving into Poindexter Village, the first Columbus Metropolitan Housing Authority complex, on May 2, 1940. The state General Assembly established the housing authority on Aug. 10, 1934, to provide safe, sanitary and decent housing for low-income families. The James Rogers family was one of the first families to move into the 426-unit housing project. The family’s previous home — a leaky, drafty, rat-infested structure that was razed to make way for Poindexter Village — rented for $15 a month and cost the family another $10 a month for utilities. The family’s three-bedroom Poindexter Village apartment cost $19.25 a month, including utilities.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/05/02/poindexter-village-was-once-a-haven-for-the-poor.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

This area has really become a ghost town. Seems like 80% of the units are now boarded up and most everyone has been moved out. Eerily quiet, but still pleasant as lawns are being mowed and things are staying maintained prior to demolition. I would expect this place to get covered in graffiti as most abandoned buildings/areas do, but maybe that just hasn’t happened yet.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Officials debate how to mark Poindexter Village
    By Mark Ferenchik
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Monday June 4, 2012 7:34 AM

Ohio historic-preservation officials say Columbus’ first public housing complex is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places, even as housing administrators proceed with plans to demolish Poindexter Village.

Columbus Metropolitan Housing Authority officials are meeting with residents and Near East Side leaders on the best way to commemorate the history and significance of Poindexter Village as they continue to move residents out and board up buildings.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/06/04/officials-debate-how-to-mark-poindexter-village.html

labi
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I thought this was a really interesting article. I fail to understand how there couldn’t be room in PACT’s redevelopment plans (which they insist are as-of-yet unformed) to keep and use at least a few of the buildings. No sign or marker can ever function as powerfully as an intact piece of the historic built environment – and obviously, once it’s gone, it’s gone. I hope there are enough residents who care to put their energy into this amid so many other current issues.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I think ultimately, CMHA would ned to make the redevelopment decision to keep the buildings, not PACT. PACT doesn’t own the property, nor will it ever I imagine.

PACT is putting together a plan for the area, but it will be up to the public and priviate land owners and developers to follow through with adhering to the vision of that plan.

Pro Se
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I, for one, couldn’t be happier to see these go and I believe a fair amount of other nearby residents share this sentiment.

Stephen43215
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Pro Se said:
    I, for one, couldn’t be happier to see these go and I believe a fair amount of other nearby residents share this sentiment.

Amen! I live at Broad and Ohio and the stuff that goes on down Ohio as you make your way towards Poindexter village is too much! These projects need to go!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 164 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?