Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

Chipotle Coming in 2014 to The Fireproof in the Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Chipotle Coming in 2014 to The Fireproof in the Short North

This topic contains 74 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by  myliftkk 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
  • Author

surber17
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

BTW, i’d def. be down for a “chiptole” type store that’s locally owned and makes a better burrito. I just want some cheaper, healthy, quick options.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I would welcome a Chipotle in OTE.

Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I have never been a fan. I can get a pound of rice much cheaper at the store and cook it myself.

Cbusbill
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

mrsgeedeck said:
    +1 I feel like the SN has worked hard to craft itself as a destination space where you find one of a kind (in Cbus’) shops and restaurants. While I agree with Walker about creating a well rounded neighborhood, is a Chipotle destined to be the next White Castle or even Donatos? While on the one hand those places are Columbus home grown, they do stick out in the neighborhood.

Also @Cbusbill, if its my neighborhood, and I’ve got the mortgage bill and tax bill to prove it, then yes, I do have a vested interest in how the neighborhood develops. If I wanted to live near a bunch of chains I would have saved myself 100k and moved next to a strip mall in the ‘burbs.

I guess I look at Chipotle differently (tomAto, toMAHto). Sure its a chain, but it is dedicated to organic sourcing, and brags about how much comes locally from Ohio farmers. I don’t think having this in the neighborhood turns the SH into a strip mall. If this were an Arby’s going in, I’m right there with you…but chains run the right way should never be shunned simply because they’re a chain. Hilton’s a chain, yet I believe it will be a benefit to the SH that it arrived. Jenni’s is a chain, and hopefully the neighborhoods in Cleveland, Nashville, etc. where it sets up shop will benefit from its arrival. They just announced a Flip Burger going in next to Barley’s. Its a chain from Cleveland…should we shun that?

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The Short North is large enough to hold local and chain establishments. I don’t think anyone would complain if apple wanted to set up shop.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Cbusbill said:
    I guess I look at Chipotle differently (tomAto, toMAHto). Sure its a chain, but it is dedicated to organic sourcing, and brags about how much comes locally from Ohio farmers. I don’t think having this in the neighborhood turns the SH into a strip mall. If this were an Arby’s going in, I’m right there with you…but chains run the right way should never be shunned simply because they’re a chain. Hilton’s a chain, yet I believe it will be a benefit to the SH that it arrived. Jenni’s is a chain, and hopefully the neighborhoods in Cleveland, Nashville, etc. where it sets up shop will benefit from its arrival. They just announced a Flip Burger going in next to Barley’s. Its a chain from Cleveland…should we shun that?

good post.

also i would love an arby’s in the SN or OTE.

stephentszuter
    stephentszuter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    And if nobody in the Short North wants it, I’ll gladly take a Chipotle over on East Long Street. ;)

I second that…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Cbusbill said:
    I guess I look at Chipotle differently (tomAto, toMAHto). Sure its a chain, but it is dedicated to organic sourcing, and brags about how much comes locally from Ohio farmers. I don’t think having this in the neighborhood turns the SH into a strip mall.

+1

Not all chains are created equal.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Stephen43215 said:
    The Short North is large enough to hold local and chain establishments.

+1

If this Chipotle does in fact go through, it’s in a new build location. It won’t be displacing an existing business of any kind. Additionally, the Firestone development will be adding new residents to the neighborhood as well, so that should also help combat any fears about detracting from sales at existing businesses.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Arena district, short north, campus… That’s surpassing starbucks density. but yeah, that shit is delicious. and as far as chains in a cool neighborhood go, they have pretty tasteful signage and decor. could be a lot worse.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

groundrules said:
    Arena district, short north, campus… That’s surpassing starbucks density. but yeah, that shit is delicious. and as far as chains in a cool neighborhood go, they have pretty tasteful signage and decor. could be a lot worse.

No drive-thru either. ;)

Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

groundrules said:

Don’t forget High St just south of 70. I think that counts as brewery district.

NerosNeptune
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

There’s already plenty of Chipotles. Now there will be 3 on the same street about once every mile.

It seems a bit excessive, but I’m sure they’ll all do well. I haven’t been to one of the others on high street when there wasn’t a pretty long line.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Can’t be any worse that that uppity Northstar Cafe chain.

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Snarf said:
    Can’t be any worse that that uppity Northstar Cafe chain.

Don’t forget those restaurant owners that own multiple restaurants in the area. Blasphemers!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?