Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Scioto Audubon Center & Metro Park - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Scioto Audubon Center & Metro Park – News & Updates

This topic contains 42 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Alex Silbajoris Alex Silbajoris 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author

JonMyers
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

We road our bikes to Jimmy V’s on Saturday and detoured to the Audubon Center on our way there. My girlfriend had never been there or even knew about it for that matter.

It’s a beautiful center. The observation decks are well done and the climbing wall looks like it’s satisfying climbers.

Whoever is managing this center needs to do a better job of getting the word out.

A series of relevant events that drives traffic and awareness to this park may be the best way to get the word out.

FADulous
    FADulous
    Login to Send PM

It is a great park for the downtown. I go there at least three times a week with the mutts. Truly incredible how they have transformed a brownfield into a wetland prairie with turtles and frogs. MetroParks spends your tax dollars well.

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I want to scout the bike path between the AC and the Scioto Mile, as a potential site for a honeysuckle cutting event. Last Friday I spoke to someone in the City Watershed Maintenance department, and she said the city can provide a chipper crew for work there.

Columbus Music Co-op
    Columbus Music Co-op
    Login to Send PM

i attended a wedding there last weekend and it was AMAZING! the facility is great and the views were awesome.

Tenzo
    Login to Send PM

alexs wrote >>
    I want to scout the bike path between the AC and the Scioto Mile, as a potential site for a honeysuckle cutting event. Last Friday I spoke to someone in the City Watershed Maintenance department, and she said the city can provide a chipper crew for work there.

I’m confused. Why do you want to cut down and shred the honeysuckle?

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

(a) It’s exotic and it crowds out the native plants
    (b) It conceals illegal activity so we want it kept back from the path

Stacky
    Login to Send PM

About two month ago I visited to participate in a workshop on rain gardens, put on by the Central Ohio Rain Garden Initiative (CORGI[/url]) and sponsored by the Sierra Club. It was a really great introduction to the Center and how they incorporate several ways to prevent surface water runoff and use rain water in the design of their building, gardens and parking lot.

Exploring their site, I see an Events page, if anyone is interested, but don’t see a newsletter to keep in touch. Perhaps one is available to members?

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

does anyone know what the weird stonehenge lookin’ things are in the fenced AEP transformer area at the north end of the park? I didn’t take a picture, but I’m curious. They look like someone has gone to the trouble of lighting them, but no explanation, and you can’t get close…

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Audubon cleanup under budget
    By Mark Ferenchik
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Wednesday April 11, 2012 5:06 AM

Although Metro Parks will spend an additional $489,770 to clean up Columbus’ former impounding lot at Scioto Audubon Metro Park, the final bill for the project is still expected to cost $700,000 less than the original estimate. Metro Parks still plans to open the area to the public by September. It should include trails, shelters, a restroom and an obstacle course.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/04/11/audubon-cleanup-under-budget.html

surber17
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Can’t even express how much I love this place. I bring out-of-towners here every time someone comes in.

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

surber17 said:
    Can’t even express how much I love this place. I bring out-of-towners here every time someone comes in.

Meanwhile, things are happening across the river, the homeless camp was cleared out and now you have a view of GIAC with the downtown skyline in the background.

Pedestrian bridge, please.

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Does anyone know what’s being built on Short Street, just south of the overpass and right before Columbus Brewing Company? From the maps, it doesn’t look like that’s part of Scioto Audubon, but it’s really close.

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

joev said:
    Does anyone know what’s being built on Short Street, just south of the overpass and right before Columbus Brewing Company? From the maps, it doesn’t look like that’s part of Scioto Audubon, but it’s really close.

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/phase-2-of-liberty-place-apartments

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Maybe? It’s across the street from the other buildings in the development, on land that I’ve seen flooded before, though.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

The City of Columbus is building a parking lot for city vehicles on the west side of Short Street. Liberty Place Phase 2 is on the east side of Short Street.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?