Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Char Bar -- secret tunnel(s)?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Char Bar — secret tunnel(s)?

This topic contains 40 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Lakee911 Lakee911 3 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Lakee911
    Lakee911
    Login to Send PM

So, I went to Char Bar this weekend. I hadn’t been there in a year or two. When I went to the restroom, I noticed the same old door that leads to what appears to be a room underneith high street.

I also noticed a window down there (that I had somehow missed before). Using the flashlight on my phone, I shined it into the window and I could see part of an arch and the enterance of some sort of tunnel. What’s the scoop here?

A little googling reported that there are many tunnels under High St and that it connected to the former train station.

Anyone know anything or maybe been down there?

Jason

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

That’s the old original High Street level, at the same level as the rail lines. Back in the day traffic had to wait for trains until they put High Street on a viaduct over the tracks. It has come up in threads here before, but I don’t remember the titles.

Try using the board’s search function for the term “tunnel”.

Lakee911
    Lakee911
    Login to Send PM

I did a bit of searching, but nothing really jumped out at me. I guess High St does start to ramp up there, and the grade level out back is on the second story…intersting. I’d still love to see what’s down there. Are there still tracks?

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Trains still run under High Street. There are ways to get under there, like that door you found, but I don’t know how many access points there are, or how far you can go in any direction.

Someone will see this thread title and chime in, a few tunnel explorers have posted here before.

cyclist II
    cyclist II
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Lakee911 wrote >>
    I did a bit of searching, but nothing really jumped out at me. I guess High St does start to ramp up there, and the grade level out back is on the second story…intersting. I’d still love to see what’s down there. Are there still tracks?

yes, very active tracks. Convention Center drive and a bike path go through there, and its entirely visible from the Front St bridge. Just a lot of mud there now from the hotel construction.

Lakee911
    Lakee911
    Login to Send PM

Link

I think that is the building from Convention Center Drive. There is a lot of space still underground there between the road and the building. It doesn’t appear to be accessible from Convention Center Drive that I can find.

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I still remember something on this subject from a history book from my elementary school days – a totally fabricated exchange that went something like:

“We need a viaduct over these tracks,” one citizen said.
    “What’s a viaduct?” asked another citizen…

Lakee911
    Lakee911
    Login to Send PM

Still doesn’t help much. From Dec ’10 apparently.

alexs wrote >>
    I still remember something on this subject from a history book from my elementary school days – a totally fabricated exchange that went something like:

“We need a viaduct over these tracks,” one citizen said.
    “What’s a viaduct?” asked another citizen…

It’s a funny word that seems almost redundant in itself…. ;)

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Lakee911 wrote >>
    It’s a funny word that seems almost redundant in itself…. ;)

Latin root words often sound funky in Germanic-ish English. I Love ‘em.

awd86ed
    awd86ed
    Login to Send PM

This is interesting. Anyone into urban exploration? Is there much to explore in colubus you think?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I took this photo of the Hilton construction and you can see how the Char Bar building has a lower level connected to the level below the current day street, with the “second floor” being the main entrance today:

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Imagine trying to get through there in the old days. Besides trains passing through, there would be trains stopping, shunting, etc. Man, there must have been accidents. Meanwhile the horses crap and whiz while they’re waiting, so add those aromas to all the coal smoke.

“We didn’t have to put up with this bullshit in the canal boat days,” one citizen said.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

alexs wrote >>

“We didn’t have to put up with this bullshit in the canal boat days,” one citizen said.

Quote of the week.

In fact, I’m going to start using that. Frequently.

edit: crap… the more I think about it the more I am starting to think that we ARE putting up with a lot of the same bullshit we put up with in the canal boat days.

Sethgc
    Sethgc
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Noticed that tunnel years ago when we were down there trying to play the piano ;) I was actually in there a coupla weeks ago and moved that piece out of the way so people could see the tunnel through the glass. It doesn’t look like it heads anywhere, but it’d be cool to poke around for sure.

ohio4life
    Login to Send PM

When you walk into Char Bar from the front entrance, look to your left and you will see a Dispatch article mounted on the wall about the viaduct and Char Bar’s access to it. They have had people break the door open and go in without permission. I guess they had to threaten one group with being locked in before they would leave.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?