Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NBC4 News is an embarrassment to Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion NBC4 News is an embarrassment to Columbus

This topic contains 29 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cheap 3 years, 1 month ago.

Tagged

media

tv

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

christylwilliams
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

cheap said:

heck, a guy was found dead in his townhouse the other day on the northwest side of town under suspicious circumstances,and it doesn’t even get a blip on any news sources in this town.

I sometimes wonder if there is a conscious effort by the powers that be to keep crime news in certain neighborhoods as quiet as possible.

leftovers
    Login to Send PM

Well that and ‘found dead’ seems vague… I don’t think they want to address stories they do not have some kind of closure for.

drawrobot
    drawrobot
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Yeah, I would say that about all local news. Even national network news. Inherentely, it breaks down like this: maybe one or two honest to god local stories, something off the AP feed, weather, sports, and sometimes an informercial posing as a news story. All told in a short two to three sentence rundown. What… the… hell is that?

A half hour on repeat is not nearly long enough to give context on any given news item. I think Conkite said something like that.

The other thing that bothers me is they’ll often repeat the same stories from the night before in the morning. It does leave a bad impression that nothing goes on in Columbus which I know isn’t true. There’s a lot of culture type stories that are under-reported.

jimbach
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Complaints about local news? That’s pretty cutting edge. What next, a thread complaining about airline food?

clancy12
    Login to Send PM

Oh, all the local news programs are a joke– Cheap’s example is just one in a long line of petty crime stories that they tout as “news”. Much cheaper and easier than covering our schools or local government.
    They are also guilty of using press releases as news pieces. How anyone can claim to be a journalist and just uncritically read an advertisement disguised as a news piece is beyond me.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I watch channel 4 while I make dinner.

Bear
    Bear
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

jimbach said:
    Complaints about local news? That’s pretty cutting edge. What next, a thread complaining about airline food?

This.

I’m curious as to what kinds of stories people actually would like to hear on local news, as opposed to (or in addition to) the kind they wouldn’t.

That should, I hope, be a more interesting question than it seems at first blush. I mean, there are lots of ways (including CU, newspapers, other internet sources for weather and crime and so on) that I can get information that didn’t exist 20 or even 10 years ago. Many of those are really good. What is (or should) local TV news focus on, given everything else that’s out there?

myliftkk
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Bear said:
    This.

I’m curious as to what kinds of stories people actually would like to hear on local news, as opposed to (or in addition to) the kind they wouldn’t.

That should, I hope, be a more interesting question than it seems at first blush. I mean, there are lots of ways (including CU, newspapers, other internet sources for weather and crime and so on) that I can get information that didn’t exist 20 or even 10 years ago. Many of those are really good. What is (or should) local TV news focus on, given everything else that’s out there?

They should stick with what they know best… scaring the bejesus out of people.

Chicken
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

What you’re about to see
    is a Channel 4 News exclusive.

His name is Nutty the Squirrel, and he’s three years old. How ’bout that? That squirrel can water-ski.

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Ann Fisher should switch her show to the local news slot. I would watch that.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

joev said:
    Ann Fisher should switch her show to the local news slot. I would watch that.

+1

Not every show is up my alley, but there’s a *lot* of great local video content on All Sides on a regular basis. For example:

http://beta.wosu.org/allsides/leveque-tower-iconic-landmark-of-columbus/

AMEEKER
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Yeah, I hate when the news reports about felons being captured in local neighborhoods. I’d much rather they report on issues that matter, like Adele’s vocal cord surgery. http://hosted2.ap.org/WBNSTV/ec2d8a4c1614477db0610df17d4a39ce/Article_2011-11-07-Music-Adele/id-5bd775dc5eba47ab8396b27357bc640b

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I’d watch local TV news every night if it were all like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E29c3a_5iE

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

If you’ve ever watched Web Soup (you haven’t, almost nobdy does) they have a segment about local news videos. The tagline for the intro is “Local News. Slowly dying, but still hillarious”

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

murfmurphy said:
    If you’ve ever watched Web Soup (you haven’t, almost nobdy does) they have a segment about local news videos. The tagline for the intro is “Local News. Slowly dying, but still hillarious”

Love web soup.

I love watching local news wherever I travel. And yeah, it’s hilarious everywhere. A SPECIAL kind of hilarious.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?