Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

Central Presbyterian Church - 132 S. Third St. for sale $775,000

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Central Presbyterian Church – 132 S. Third St. for sale $775,000

This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  leftovers 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

leftovers
    Login to Send PM

(didn’t see this listed on CU’s Urban Living yet)

img_3919.jpg

Central Presbyterian Church closed in November 2011, due to diminished membership and rising maintenance costs. Columbus Landmarks Foundation has been invited by the Presbytery committee in charge of the closure to participate in discussions related to the future of this prominent mid-19th century building. The building is listed for sale for $775,000 by R.S. Garek Associates.

Love the building, hope it does not get turned into a BoMA.

Pablo
    Pablo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It’s a lovely building!

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

Wow, I know several people who live downtown who paid about half of that just for their condo.

I imagine utilities are a bitch and finding a non-church, non-invasive use might be difficult as it seems to be under the care of a landmarks foundation.

I still wanna buy it.

jbcmh81
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

mrpoppinzs said:
    Wow, I know several people who live downtown who paid about half of that just for their condo.

I imagine utilities are a bitch and finding a non-church, non-invasive use might be difficult as it seems to be under the care of a landmarks foundation.

I still wanna buy it.

I’m sure redevelopment could take place without compromising too much of the historic nature of the building. I don’t think a church is coming back, though.

joshlapp
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I think it would make a great space for a central marketplace.

bayrea
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I went to a party at a guys place who lived in an old church in Norther Kentucky right across the Ohio river from Cincy. It was the creepiest house I have ever been in. Cool, but creepy. He also had a full sized working guiletine in the living room and a sign that said “youth director” on his bedroom door.

peanutnozone
    peanutnozone
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

+100 Yes yes srsly this :: nods head emphatically :: !!!!

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

joshlapp said:

Yeah, that sounds like a nice idea. It is not far from the Statehouse and City Center garages. I think originally christian church design came from the roman market basillicas.

Plop a food court and some shops in there and it could be great.

leftovers
    Login to Send PM

That does sound like a good idea.

It could be like Quincy Market in Boston.

everyone tells me they miss walking to the old City Center food court:

cbus11
    cbus11
    Login to Send PM

I do not know what it would take to work economically but I could see it being used as a market. A food court, some kiosk shops, and maybe a joint kitchen to be used as part of a small business incubator would probably work well on a modest scale.

It would be really hard to beat that location, and the price seems right.

dru
    dru
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

perhaps somebody else will have a copy because i deleted mine. but the most recent Columbus Landmarks email stated that a buyer has already been found. no mention of who or what specifically, but relief that it was an entity that intended to maintain the property.

cheap
    Login to Send PM

perfect place for a strip joint

bman
    Login to Send PM

cheap said:
    perfect place for a strip joint

Looking for a business partner? How about a gay night club called “Priests” where we have “confessionals with glory holes?”.

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
    groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Twixlen said:
    Oh! Capa is buying it!

Maybe they will serve food and fill up the schedule with big DJ acts. maybe have some modern art in there…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?