Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

Cast Iron Pan

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Cast Iron Pan

This topic contains 58 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Snarf Snarf 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’d like to find a nice big cast iron pan. Places I’ve seen good ones include the antique mall and Gander Mountain has a vast selection. I think buying one at an antique mall might be a good idea…what about thrift stores?

Advice? Tips?

drew
    drew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Don’t see why there would be any problem with just getting one from an antique/thrift store… if it has been mistreated, I suspect it should be obvious.

We have a couple of Lodge Logic pans (I think that’s what Gander Mountain carries), can’t say enough good about ‘em.

Edit: err… after looking, they’re ‘Lodge’ pans. Don’t know about Lodge Logic…

Tenzo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Lodge cast iron pan.

accept no others.
    Seriously

Mercurius
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I use mostly a Lodge 12″ Frying Pan. It’s nice because it it the exact same size as my dutch oven and the lids are interchangeable. I’m a little indifferent if it’s been pre-seasoned but keep that in mind if you are buying a used one, it’s probably going to need reconditioned/seasoned.

As to where to get them, I inherited quite a few, got a few from yard sales and bought some new. I know Cookware Sorcerer offers quite a few. Also, I fancy a nice set of Le Creuset.

roy
    roy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Plus plus for original American made Lodge, available at a nice price in all sizes at the Wasserstrom Store on Silver Drive off I-71 near Roy’s.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Tenzo wrote >>

Lodge cast iron pan.
    accept no others.
    Seriously

What he said. Great stuff.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

What’s the process for re-conditioning or re-seasoning? My lack of knowledge about care for and upkeep for cast iron is what’s holding me back probably…but as the winter approaches I want to up my inside cooking options.

I do dig that Le Creuset stuff, we recently got their five qt dutch french oven in teal. Those things are freakin $$$! Great for frying incidentally.

Mercurius
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Snarf wrote >>
    What’s the process for re-conditioning or re-seasoning? My lack of knowledge about care for and upkeep for cast iron is what’s holding me back probably…but as the winter approaches I want to up my inside cooking options.
    I do dig that Le Creuset stuff, we recently got their five qt dutch french oven in teal. Those things are freakin $$$! Great for frying incidentally.

It’s easy. You just rub them with vegetable oil/bacon grease and bake them for 40 minutes or so at 400 F. Then after, make sure they never touch soap.

Edit: Google says longer and lower but I’m pretty sure those were the directions from Lodge?

Tenzo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

There is no reason not to get a used one.

But a New Pre seasoned one is under $20 on Amazon.

roy
    roy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Snarf, a couple consistently applied house rules help but honestly, it’s easy. First use, wash with lots of warm soapy water and dry well. Melt some Crisco, the solid vegetable shortening, and coat the pan inside and out including the handle. Follow the manufactuer’s rec for heating the greasy pan during this first-time seasoning and be sure to place foil or a half-sheet pan on the rack below to catch melt-off. All new Lodge pans come with a handy guide to seasoning, it’s on the opposite side of the circular attached to the cooking surface.

For everyday care, try to avoid soap. Purists say NEVER use soap, but sometimes I have to, garlic or fish. When detergent is necessary, use just a drop, dry pan well and melt a tablespoon of Crisco in the bottom, swishing it around with a paper towel. If you have a gas oven, sit it in there, oven off, to absorb.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Thanks for the tips and tricks every one, this is all quite helpful.

roy
    roy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Forgot to say: I find kosher salt a great scrub for cast iron, undoubtedly read it somewhere, never would have thought of it. I keep a palm-size brush, like the little OXO, for just this use. The salt is able to scrub out the food bits without ruining the seasoned surface.

turbo ninja
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

turnedNOTburned
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Goodale Pro Hardware sells Lodge also – Good instructions for seasoning on them as well (spray some pam on the inside, wipe out excess with a paper towel, bake at 325 for an hour till the oil polymerizes) NEVER wash, clean with a few tablespoons of kosher salt and a few drops of canola oil. I’ve had my 14″ cast iron for 12 years now – I call it “the Baconator”.

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I honestly wonder if all my cast iron cookware put together would weigh as much as I do (200+).

+1 on the Lodge, avoid the cheap Asian stuff. Or, for amusement, feel the texture on the inside of the vessel, compare its roughness to the smooth finish on a new Lodge piece.

I too use a little soap sometimes on the iron, it won’t destroy it. Just don’t ever leave it soaking overnight, cook and clean and dry as soon as possible. Heat and oil are your friends.

Le Creuset, oh yeah, mine is in dark green and Mom’s is mostly yellow with some red and orange. Her stuff is 20 – 40 years old and it will outlive her. There are also a few pieces of comparable quality from Dansk and a few other brands.

I used to be able to find odd pieces of Le Creuset at Tuesday Morning or TJ Maxx, I assume those were from broken sets. But I could get a $90 oval french oven for $45, etc. I haven’t seen much of that in a long time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?