Our City Online

Messageboard - Classifieds

Car scams on Craigslist

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Classifieds Car scams on Craigslist

This topic contains 21 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by GW_Justice GW_Justice 4 years, 3 months ago.

Tagged

cars

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    GW_Justice
    GW_Justice
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I bought a car from someone on Craigslist a couple of years ago, and it was a fairly painless process. Yes, there are some people with overpriced cars who are trying to hide defects, but that is par for the used car game. I eventually found a good deal and my wife drives it every day. Now I need a car, and I’m finding CL has changed.

The listings are now filled with scammers offering wonderful deals – but after you reply, you find that the car is not in Columbus (usually owned by a person in the military), and they want to ship the car to you. You will be scammed if you follow up these deals. It’s not hard to figure out these are bogus, but you can waste time reading the ads and replying to these scum. These are the clues to find and avoid bad car listings.

The text of the listing is mainly a bunch of car features. Very little personalization, nothing that pins the ad to the local market, like mentioning local suburbs (although the location in the top header may have a local suburb).

An important bit of info will be missing, the mileage is often not posted. They are fishing for replies, and leaving out important details must improve the rate of reply. It is possible the scam is also to find active mail accounts to sell to traditional spammers, along with getting money from the gullible. If you must reply to an ad that is questionable, use a secondary or throwaway email address.

The photo of the car will be out of season – summer backgrounds. Almost always four photos. Weird that the scammers can’t take the time to do this right.

The admins at CL are clearing these scams off as fast as they are flagged, but the volume is overwhelming. I’m not sure how these could be pre-filtered, but they need to do better, the volume of this noise is making CL tough to use. Hope they can find a solution.

Oh, and if you are selling a medium to small car that is around 5 years old, PM me!

Lakee911
    Lakee911
    Login to Send PM

It’s too bad that all of CL in general is just full of spam these days. I don’t even use it anymore. :(

JonMyers
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m still amazed that an occupation such as a Craig’s List Poster actually exists.

JD3
    JD3
    Login to Send PM

I’ve got my car listed on there right now and I got around 15 emails within 2-3 days, however about 1/2 of them were fake. It was almost like people just troll to see if they can get someone to bite on a fraudulent deal. I even get automated calls. I hate CL, but sometimes it has it’s place.

GW_Justice
    GW_Justice
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

What is a better alternative to CL?

I check out Kijiji also, but the volume is low.

Is it time to go back to classified listings?

SusanB
    SusanB
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I found wonderful tenants for my house on CL so it does work. Also had replies from convicted felons……..

NotaryOne
    NotaryOne
    Login to Send PM

And when you’re ready to finalize the deal (buying or selling), call me to notarize your signatures on the title. I’ll come to you, and can be available 24/7!

http://www.ohionotaryone.com

agtw31
    agtw31
    Login to Send PM

NotaryOne wrote >>
    And when you’re ready to finalize the deal (buying or selling), call me to notarize your signatures on the title. I’ll come to you, and can be available 24/7!
    http://www.ohionotaryone.com

you’d do all that for $2??

DavidRyan614
    Login to Send PM

I just sold a car on CL and got calls from idiots asking me the mileage that was posted VERY clearly and other dumb questions that were in the ad?
    I got a great used car with low milage from Germain Cadillac of Easton and it was one place I never thought I would find such a good deal.

agtw31
    agtw31
    Login to Send PM

i buy a lot of car parts off of Craigslist from all over the country,and Canada.

i should be making a commission from paypal.i show probably 20 people a week how to start an account,because im not going to mail a money order to a complete stranger that is 2000 miles away.

zp945
    zp945
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Not CL…but I had an interesting scam tried on me today. Someone called the store asking to place an order for food and drinks for 250 people. They were using the AT&T phone relay system for the hearing impaired, so no caller id. The order total came to around $1500. They then asked to add an additional $850 for a courier company to pick up the order and deliver it. I was asked to wire via Western Union the $850 after I charged their credit card. At this point clearly it’s a scam. I tried to keep them on the phone and get as much info as I could to pass along to the authorities but they quickly got off the phone when they realized it wasn’t going to work.

It makes me wonder who wires these people $850?!

GW_Justice
    GW_Justice
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I thought I remembered something about the phone relay system being used by scammers, it has been going on for a long time.

The person on the other end was probably in Nigeria. They use the relay not only because it allows them to call from overseas for free, it hides the accent and poor english that might tip you off that something is not right. You might even be sympathetic because they use the system.

Can you imagine being one of these operators, forced to spend most of your time being used by scammers to cheat people, year after year, but not allowed to say a word to stop it?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/ID/4781806/

JonMyers
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

agtw31 wrote >>
    i buy a lot of car parts off of Craigslist from all over the country,and Canada.
    i should be making a commission from paypal.i show probably 20 people a week how to start an account,because im not going to mail a money order to a complete stranger that is 2000 miles away.

If that’s the case you’ve got a serious business on your hands.

PayPal has affiliate programs for personal and business referrals:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_web-referrals-mrb-outside

agtw31
    agtw31
    Login to Send PM

jon,that would be a good thing for me,but the people i sign up only use it one time,then they go back to whatever they were doing.

i actually found a great deal on a car in canton on CL,and took a Greyhound to pick it up.the whole damn bus was full of Amish kids.i had no idea Amish kids love Swisher Sweets.

a couple years ago,i sold a car to some folks on CL,and they brought their ferrets with them,they had them on leashes.

every frigging dog in the neighborhood was going nuts.

JonMyers
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

agtw31 wrote >>
    the whole damn bus was full of Amish kids.i had no idea Amish kids love Swisher Sweets.

Ah dude that and more. Check out the doc Devil’s Playground.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?