Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

Can someone recommend a good drain cleaner?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Can someone recommend a good drain cleaner?

This topic contains 29 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Lakee911 Lakee911 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Lakee911
    Lakee911
    Login to Send PM

I’m looking for a recommendation on a good drain cleaner for my rental in the Old North Columbus area. Anyone have any recommendations?

This is preventive … no big emergency… yet.

Thanks!

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

What’s blocking the drain?

For food waste from a garbage disposal or hair from shower drains, I’ve had good luck with sulfuric acid. Get it at lowes / home depot / pick your hardware store.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

If it’s just a slow drain you should try a bacterial drain opener –better for the environment and the plumbing, and available most places.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

kitoba wrote >>
    If it’s just a slow drain you should try a bacterial drain opener –better for the environment and the plumbing, and available most places.

huh. Didn’t even know they made something like that.

Have you used a particular brand?

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

One time I clogged my kitchen drain with sauerkraut and vindaloo. It sprang up in the bathtub in the basement. My landlady was not pleased. I think she called Roto Rooter.

sugarplumclarey
    Login to Send PM

We use this method[/url] at my house. It’s cheap and effective, especially if you do it preventively/regularly/a few times in a row. I promise it works! I have globby Italian hair and my house is about 80 years old and our drains stay clear!

ocefusmoodo
    ocefusmoodo
    Login to Send PM

Really need to know first what is the location of the clog. Kitchen, Bathroom, etc. Depending on that I think you can start getting some more specific answers that can help you out.

Canuck
    Login to Send PM

If you have access to a Wholefoods Market, they should have something natural for this. Some Wholefoods has a product called Drainbo.
    Short of that, throw some baking soda down the drain and leave it overnight, then in the morning pour hot water down the drain. I find that works as a preventive method.

CDS sherman
    CDS sherman
    Login to Send PM

folks ive been in the construction business for years and i have never found a chemical drain opener to be very effective. my advice for scale or sludge is to mechanically have it snaked or jetted.

CDS sherman
    CDS sherman
    Login to Send PM

rus wrote >>
    What’s blocking the drain?
    For food waste from a garbage disposal or hair from shower drains, I’ve had good luck with sulfuric acid. Get it at lowes / home depot / pick your hardware store.

dude lowes or HD does not sell sulfuric acid………. you might be thinking of muriatic acid? even if you could get it i would not recommend pouring sulfuric acid down drain pipes constructed of pvc or abs. just my 2 cents. muriatic acid is used as a cleaning product and would not be very effective in clearing clogged drain pipes. i think sulfuric acid may exist in tri sodium phosphate which is another cleaning product but im sure im wrong on that one.

CDS sherman
    CDS sherman
    Login to Send PM

Canuck wrote >>
    If you have access to a Wholefoods Market, they should have something natural for this. Some Wholefoods has a product called Drainbo.
    Short of that, throw some baking soda down the drain and leave it overnight, then in the morning pour hot water down the drain. I find that works as a preventive method.

im a bit confused on how dumping a powder into a drain and then maybe 8 hours later pouring hot water would help. i would assume that the powder would clump in the trap over night only to be diluted by water in the morning…… vinegar might be a better catalyst than hot water? i still would not recommend this.i dont mean to sound shitty but bad advice is simply bad advice.

Lakee911
    Lakee911
    Login to Send PM

No one should be putting caustic chemicals down his/her drain without know what is clogging the drain and where it is. The last thing you want to do is have some chemical sitting in the drain that will be a hazard to the person who comes in clean it. If you do put something down your drain to try to clear a clog and it doesn’t work, tell the person when they come to clean it!

The only time I can recommend using something like Drain-o or another sodium hydroxide based cleaner is when you’re clearing soap, grease and hair. I use it in the bathroom sink about once a year.

As for using acid, most are safe on PVC and ABS, but do not use them on galvanized, copper, cast iron or other metal pipes. You might just dissolve a hole in your drain pipe. Again, though, I do not recommend that you use them.

So, I’m actually looking for someone to mechincally auger out the main drain. At times of high usage, the floor drain in the basement has backed up, otherwise things are still working just fine. I suspect that there are some minor tree roots, maybe some tampons, things like that caught down there.

Bristol Bar
    Bristol Bar
    Login to Send PM

Mann Plumbing; local, family owned and GOOD!

misskitty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

CDS sherman wrote >>
    folks ive been in the construction business for years and i have never found a chemical drain opener to be very effective. my advice for scale or sludge is to mechanically have it snaked or jetted.

I second Sherman’s suggestion. You can get a good metal snake for about twenty bucks. It will clear drains. One issue in my house was the pipes getting clogged. It’s an pretty old house so after I snaked the drains I also used a bent coat hanger and went up at the pipe split. I guess I really needed open up the pipes that were going up every since I did that I have never had another drain issue.

CDS sherman
    CDS sherman
    Login to Send PM

Lakee911 wrote >>
    No one should be putting caustic chemicals down his/her drain without know what is clogging the drain and where it is. The last thing you want to do is have some chemical sitting in the drain that will be a hazard to the person who comes in clean it. If you do put something down your drain to try to clear a clog and it doesn’t work, tell the person when they come to clean it!
    The only time I can recommend using something like Drain-o or another sodium hydroxide based cleaner is when you’re clearing soap, grease and hair. I use it in the bathroom sink about once a year.
    As for using acid, most are safe on PVC and ABS, but do not use them on galvanized, copper, cast iron or other metal pipes. You might just dissolve a hole in your drain pipe. Again, though, I do not recommend that you use them.
    So, I’m actually looking for someone to mechincally auger out the main drain. At times of high usage, the floor drain in the basement has backed up, otherwise things are still working just fine. I suspect that there are some minor tree roots, maybe some tampons, things like that caught down there.

you said tampons…. lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?