Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

OSU Area / Campus Muggings

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion OSU Area / Campus Muggings

This topic contains 57 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by vestanpance vestanpance 2 years, 6 months ago.

Tagged

crime

osu

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m guessing this is not super uncommon, but there is something about the “gun to head” part that makes it seem freaky.

Quote:
    On 10-30-2011 at approximately 10:00 p.m., a male reported to the Columbus Police Department that three unknown suspects robbed him of his property at gunpoint. This occurred in the area of W. 10th Ave. and Worthington St. Male victim described one suspect as holding a gun to his head while the other two suspects removed his property. The suspects were described as three male blacks wearing dark clothing. The suspects fled south bound on foot from the area.

Anyone with information concerning this crime should contact either the University Police, 292-2121 or Columbus Police, 645-4545. You may also report information anonymously to the Central Ohio Crime Stoppers at 461-TIPS or the University Crime Stoppers Tips line at 247-TIPS.

cc
    cc
    Login to Send PM

That is a bit disconcerting. There have been a rash of muggings where ipods etc have been stolen in the campus area – some violently. They may be related.

paktinat
    Login to Send PM

Was in line at the 5/3rd on 17th & High and the kid in front of me was canceling all his accounts because he was help up at gunpoint last night.

He told the teller the police mentioned he was the 5th in the area to be held up at gunpoint.

Jeffersin
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Another OSU alert that came out an hour ago…

Columbus Police Robbery Squad is investigating a robbery that was reported at 12:50 a.m. on Nov. 3, 2011 at E. 17th Ave. and Pearl St. The male victim was walking northbound on N. Pearl St. when he observed four suspects sitting in the stairwell of a building. Suspect #1 quickly approached the victim, pointed a grey handgun at him, and demanded his property. The other three suspects surrounded the victim and started patting his pockets for property. The victim complied and was told to run away.

Suspect #1 was described as a black male, 20-21 years of age, 6’2″ tall, wearing a heavy gray coat and gray pants, and had a handgun with dull gray finish.

Suspects #2-4, were described as black males, 20-21 years old, 5’10″-6’0″ tall, one with a small afro.

Anyone with information concerning this crime should contact either the University Police, 292-2121 or Columbus Police, 645-4545. You may also report information anonymously to the Central Ohio Crime Stoppers at 461-TIPS or the University Crime Stoppers Tips line at 247-TIPS.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Ohio State’s President Creates Team To Address Crime Near Campus
    Thursday November 17, 2011 9:18 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – A rash of recent armed robberies near The Ohio State University campus has some students scared to walk around campus. University President E. Gordon Gee sent an e mail to students on Thursday pledging his time and resources to ensure their safety, 10TV’s Ashleigh Barry reported.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2011/11/17/columbus-gee-sends-email.html

Mister Shifter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It’s been many years, but I was robbed at gunpoint twice in that area. First near Chittenden & High, and the second near Euclid & High. Not a fun situation at all to say the least.

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I was robbed at gunpoint at 15th and Pearl in the mid 90s by 2 kids. they had just robbed 2 girls at 17th and pearl and then we got robbed as the kids were walking south down Pearl. the police caught the kids at the UDF at 12th ave because the girls called the police, if the kids didn’t stop to rob me and my friend they might have gotten away. I guess they ditched the gun in a storm sewer which was later found. the gunman was tried as an adult as he had a couple of priors.

NEOBuckeye
    NEOBuckeye
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Every now and then a few of these guys seems to get it in their heads that OSU students make easy targets. For students, especially those from outside the area, it’s easy to forget with all of the good things happening around OSU, the Short North and Downtown that there are some sad human beings lurking about who like to make their living by preying upon the naive, unaware and distracted.

Use common sense. Pay attention to your surroundings. Don’t zone out while you’re listening to that ipod. If you can, walk in groups. If you can’t walk in groups, then avoid dark or dimly lit areas.

And if you can’t do any of that that, then sing, dance, or talk to yourself like a crazy person. Do whatever it takes to make yourself look crazy enough that a thug looking for a mark probably won’t take a chance on messing with you for fear that you might be on crack and thus be able to fearlessly beat his ass with maniacal strength. Seriously.

If you look like a victim, you run a good chance of becoming one. If you look like you might spoil someone’s plans for shits and giggles, then they will likely pass on you for someone less likely to give them trouble.

greenquarteracre
    Login to Send PM

Good advice from NEOBuckeye.
    I went to school at University of Cincinnati and Case Western Reserve University years ago; both schools were surrounded by high-crime areas. It seemed as though the students were very much aware of these areas and took the necessary precautions seriously. Many of the university area crimes take place after dark to victims that are by themselves (or with just one other person) on streets with a history of crime.
    Increased law enforcement in the area would help. But I’m thinking the students are either being very naive or are uneducated.

Cookie
    Cookie
    Login to Send PM

Can we please not blame the victims?

Mister Shifter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Seriously. So I should’ve been walking down High St. in the middle of the day puffing my chest out like a tough guy or flailing my arms like a lunatic to ward off potential threats?

Not trying to sound aggro or argumentative, but being naive or careless isn’t always the case, and often isn’t.

NEOBuckeye
    NEOBuckeye
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m not blaming anyone who was a victim, and I don’t know the full story of what happened in each of the cases described above. All I’m suggesting is a strategy. You can choose to use it or do something entirely different. I do what works for me, and I’ve found it to be mostly helpful in my experience. In that spirit, I decided to share.

leftovers
    Login to Send PM

One of the victims was robbed at 6:30 a.m. leaving her house in the morning.

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Mister Shifter said:
    Seriously. So I should’ve been walking down High St. in the middle of the day puffing my chest out like a tough guy or flailing my arms like a lunatic to ward off potential threats?

Not trying to sound aggro or argumentative, but being naive or careless isn’t always the case, and often isn’t.

yeah, I honestly don’t think my freind and I would have done anything differently. we were vigilant, my friend lived in bad parts of Chicago before Columbus. it was 10 at night on soriority row. we saw the kids, as we passed them one asked for a cigarette, we said “No” and walked on. he stands up off the steps and says “Yo, I asked you for a cigarette, now give me your wallet.” while pointing a gun at us. Now normally those 2 kids would have had their asses handed to them, but when you are looking at the gun and thinking “is my life worth $60?” you are probably going to give them your wallet. and of course I couldn’t get my wallet out of my back pocket because of the button on the pocket (it was mid 90s people…). He goes “Are you going to give me your wallet or am I going to have to put a hole in your punk ass.” I told him I was getting it but the button was holding me up. It wasn’t scary really. I just gave them my wallet and turned around and started walking away. i turned back around and looked at them and said ‘hey, you don’t need my IDs and stuff, just take the money and leave the wallet. he looked at me, then took the money and dropped the wallets. I went and picked them up and then walked up to my friend who was up a couple of houses and going up to a rent a cop patrolling the area sorority houses.

I think it would be worse what is happening now, getting patted down for your stuff, that seems like a HUGE violation and helplessness.

greenquarteracre
    Login to Send PM

Cookie said:
    Can we please not blame the victims?

I would preserve “blaming the victim” for those who are victimized in what would normally be a safe situation. For example, a wife who would reasonably assume her husband would love her enough to not beat her up. Or a young kid who would assume his coach is there to help him play better football and not to sodomize him. I don’t think anyone should assume an urban area won’t have high-crime areas, nor should you assume there will be someone to protect you at all hours. I would wager that OSU will make some statement about the students needing to be more cautious.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?