Our City Online

Messageboard - Film Events

CALL ME KUCHU Mixer and Screening at Gateway Film Center Sunday, July 14

Home Forums Events Film Events CALL ME KUCHU Mixer and Screening at Gateway Film Center Sunday, July 14

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Gateway Film Center 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Gateway Film Center
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Join us at Gateway Film Center at 5:00 PM for a social mixer before CALL ME KUCHU at 6:00 PM! Tickets for the film are $10 and includes one drink – purchase them here.

INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS AWARD Cinema for Peace Awards

BEST INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTARY Hot Docs CID Festival

AUDIENCE AWARD San Francisco International Lesbian & Gay Film Festival

In an unmarked office at the end of a dirt track, veteran activist David Kato labors to repeal Uganda’s homophobic laws and liberate his fellow lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender men and women, or “kuchus.” But David’s formidable task just became much more difficult. A new “Anti-Homosexuality Bill” proposes death for HIV-positive gay men, and prison for anyone who fails to turn in a known homosexual. Inspired by American evangelicals who have christened Uganda ground zero in their war on the “homosexual agenda,” the Bill awaits debate in Uganda’s Parliament. Meanwhile, local newspapers have begun outing kuchus with vicious fervor under headlines such as: “HOMO TERROR! We Name and Shame Top Gays in the City.”

David, Uganda’s first openly gay man, is one of the few who dare to publicly protest state-sanctioned homophobia. Working with an idiosyncratic clan of fellow activists, David fights Uganda’s government and tabloids in the courts, on television, and at the United Nations. Because, he insists, “if we keep on hiding, they will say we’re not here.”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The forum ‘Film Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.