Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Cable TV & Internet Companies

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Cable TV & Internet Companies

This topic contains 39 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by srmtc00 srmtc00 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author

WILDMAN
    Login to Send PM

Snarf wrote >>
    I’ve never liked wow due to the generic/cheap looking menu interface. Has that improved at all?

nope….it is still cheap looking. i have wow and its decent but once i can afford the UVerse, i will be switching. a few of my friends have it and they loooooove it.

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Lakee911 wrote >>
    I have TW and I’m not a huge fan, but it works for me. I negotiated some lower rates, but recently I got DirectTV ad in my possesion. I’d like to see if TW will match/beat it.
    I’ve only got AT&T telephone and WOW and TW cable lines on my pole….no Uverse for me either.
    Funny story: A co-worker of mine told me that his neighbor had Uverse so he called up and scheduled an appt. to install and in the meantime he canceled TW. When Uverse folk showed up for some reason he was JUST past the cutoff and he couldn’t get it. He was pissed and then he had to call TW back. Sucks.

I had been a TW customer for years and years – I never loved them, but they provided me with a service, and I managed to hound them enough that the price wasn’t beyond my insanity threshold. They raised my rates (when my current “promotion” expired), I called, and I was told there was nothing they could do. I told the guy on the phone that I had already contacted WOW and what they were offering, and he basically said, yeah, we’re losing a lot of people right now… but there’s nothing I can do.

I got the WOW installed – and called to cancel the TW. Cancelling them on the phone reminded me so much of cancelling AOL back in the day. I had to talk to 4 different people trying to offer me some sort of “deal” – and I finally had to tell the nice man that I was looking for an effing deal when I called the first time, that it was too late, and if he couldn’t help me cancel the service, I was going to need to speak with his manager. It worked – though it’s a damn shame you have to take it to that place.

WOW customer service (for the very short time I had them) was excellent. And I called to cancel because I’d gotten UVerse, they offered me a HELL of a deal.

But – I *hated* the way WOW’s DVR system worked. The search, the way it was set up…. the simple way it looked. Hated it.

the cruise director
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I hated the way WOW’s DVR worked too. We ended up switching back to TWC, but I just got my “promo expired” rate increase. Yikes. I negotiated it down by half, but I’m still not thrilled with the higher monthly bill. Like others, waiting… waiting… waiting for Uverse. Sadly, I’m afraid it’ll never come down to German Village. So many wires already – where would they put theirs?

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I would also endorse U-verse through AT&T. Internet speed is good, connection is reliable, good DVR (Recording up to 4 shows at once is awesome), and the cash back deals are always good. I’m pretty sure the cash back deal is always at least $250, and more a lot of the time.

Mister Shifter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

AT&T U-verse is unbeatable. I’ve used Time Warner AND DirecTV and won’t be switching back.

WildmanDan
    Login to Send PM

I just had ATT Uverse installed this past Saturday pretty quickly after the getting tired of TW with their standard “we will reboot your box” response to every problem. So far I like the newer equipment, TV interface and automatic WiFi I now have for my cell phone and other things. Checked out WOW and their equipment and TV interface just seemed as old as TW and less HD channels. Hated the fact that TW was the only choice available for me at previous apartments and places.

scottlitch
    scottlitch
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

U-verse for me. I switched from TWC. I also have AT&T combined billing for my iPhone. It’s nice to have one bill for all 4 services (home phone, cell phone, internet, tv). Their customer service is good and I’ve been eligible for multiple free trial upgrades and discounts.

Cookie
    Cookie
    Login to Send PM

the cruise director wrote >>
    I hated the way WOW’s DVR worked too.

What’s wrong with it? I’m considering switching from Time Warner.

agtw31
    agtw31
    Login to Send PM

AT&T is trash.

vuch
    vuch
    Login to Send PM

I’ve had TW for years and suddenly my promo time expires? I am NOT paying $150 a month for crap internet and nothing on TV just so I can watch Fox Soccer Channel. WOW doesn’t offer FSC, but paying like half of what I am getting now with double the download speed is worth it. I am actually calling to cancel tomorrow! :)

columbusfoodie
    columbusfoodie
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

We had a really, really crappy experience w/ TWC (long story short, Tivo stopped working when they did a update to the software on the set-top boxes, we asked them to fix the problem, and then they told us they had no incentive to fix it since they wanted us to use their DVR instead of our Tivo – needless to say, we took our $120/mo. of services and went elsewhere for much less money, FWIW).

Now, we have AT&T DSL for internet and DirecTV for television. DSL, no complaints. DirecTV works MOST of the time, but when it’s snowing or raining heavily, fuggedaboutit. So if and when U-Verse becomes available in our neighborhood, we’re so there.

I’d go Hulu-only before I’d EVER go back to Time Warner.

ehill27
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

WOW’s DVR works good for me.

pez
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

srmtc00 wrote >>
    Hey Y’all -
    My partner and I are moving to Vic Village in a few weeks, and are currently investigating the best TV & Internet options in town. I know TWC offers service there, but the guy on the phone was totally rude and they don’t offer the same level of service to customers who want to use a cable card instead of a clunky old box. Does anyone have any recommendations? It is essential that the internet service be super-fast and have a large bandwidth, as we run our business from a home office. Help me locals!
    Your future neighbor,
    Shannon

AT&T doesn’t support Cable Card and since they are IPTV-based, it’s unlikely they will anytime in the near future.

noveltybuff
    noveltybuff
    Login to Send PM

somertimeoh wrote >>
    I wish AT&T would quit sending me direct mail advertising for their product when I can’t actually order it. It’s the worst kind of teasing :(

Ditto! And on their site, it looks like my place is covered, but it’s not really in their system. I want to send them this: http://bit.ly/aqBCVV

honavery
    Login to Send PM

the cruise director wrote >>
    I hated the way WOW’s DVR worked too. We ended up switching back to TWC, but I just got my “promo expired” rate increase. Yikes. I negotiated it down by half, but I’m still not thrilled with the higher monthly bill. Like others, waiting… waiting… waiting for Uverse. Sadly, I’m afraid it’ll never come down to German Village. So many wires already – where would they put theirs?

I live in Schumacher place and was able to get it. It comes in over your phone lines, but there needs to be a Vrad box within 3000 feet of your house.(looks like an electric meter, mine is at Frankfort and Beech) You might want to check to see if you are close enough (and check your neighbors too, they had a typo for my address that wasn’t fixed till I brought it up over the phone). TW was ok, but this equipment is newer and nicer, I get more channels that I want (mainly NFL network and NFL Redzone in the Fall), total home DVR (watch and schedule recordings from multiple TV’s), and it was still cheaper than TW adding HBO. I think (maybe) the HD quality was a teency bit better on TW, but it’s not really noticeable on most channels.

Edit: Used a tool to draw approx. 3000 foot radius from the Vrad box I use: http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm?clat=39.94732&clng=-82.985871&r=0.90&n=75&lc=FFFFFF&lw=1&fc=00FF00

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?