Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Cable TV & Internet Companies

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Cable TV & Internet Companies

This topic contains 39 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by srmtc00 srmtc00 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    srmtc00
    srmtc00
    Login to Send PM

Hey Y’all –

My partner and I are moving to Vic Village in a few weeks, and are currently investigating the best TV & Internet options in town. I know TWC offers service there, but the guy on the phone was totally rude and they don’t offer the same level of service to customers who want to use a cable card instead of a clunky old box. Does anyone have any recommendations? It is essential that the internet service be super-fast and have a large bandwidth, as we run our business from a home office. Help me locals!

Your future neighbor,

Shannon

10sun
    10sun
    Login to Send PM

srmtc00 wrote >>
    Hey Y’all -
    My partner and I are moving to Vic Village in a few weeks, and are currently investigating the best TV & Internet options in town. I know TWC offers service there, but the guy on the phone was totally rude and they don’t offer the same level of service to customers who want to use a cable card instead of a clunky old box. Does anyone have any recommendations? It is essential that the internet service be super-fast and have a large bandwidth, as we run our business from a home office. Help me locals!
    Your future neighbor,
    Shannon

Get DSL through ATT.

Analogue Kid
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’d recommend WOW. They have up to 15Mbps internet which is not too shabby. http://www1.wowway.com/

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’d second AT&T… I’ve had them all, and like AT&T the best, by far.

And, for the tee vee and can get it, (if you are TV people) UVerse is fantastic. Since it’s already a wireless system, I’m betting they can manage a cable card…. (I’m not THAT fancy).

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

TW sucks. hard to work with and they always get tons of complaints. I think they’ve just been the monopoly for so long in Columbus that their cust service is failing.
    Others are stepping up to the plate though.

WOW has always been awesome to work with. I will never go back to TW.(unless I move to an area only serviced by TW)

Insight is another company in the area. i have not used them though.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’ve never liked wow due to the generic/cheap looking menu interface. Has that improved at all?

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Nitsud Regnifloh
    Login to Send PM

Twixlen wrote >>
    I’d second AT&T… I’ve had them all, and like AT&T the best, by far.
    And, for the tee vee and can get it, (if you are TV people) UVerse is fantastic. Since it’s already a wireless system, I’m betting they can manage a cable card…. (I’m not THAT fancy).

i’ll third that. we had Insight, switched to AT&T about 6 months ago. Will never look back. Picture quality, on demand options, Olympic coverage (special multi-view option), reliability, internet speed…

somertimeoh
    somertimeoh
    Login to Send PM

I wish AT&T would quit sending me direct mail advertising for their product when I can’t actually order it. It’s the worst kind of teasing :(

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

somertimeoh wrote >>
    I wish AT&T would quit sending me direct mail advertising for their product when I can’t actually order it. It’s the worst kind of teasing :(

I emailed them about every other week about the whole UVerse thing (when you go on the site to see if you can get it, and you discover you can’t, there is a “notify me” thing”). But, I knew that UVerse was just a few streets away, and it was likely they’d be able to tap into some existing lines.

The funny thing is that TW had JUST massively up’d my rates ($50 a month MORE – ridiculous) and I dumped them for Wow (since I couldn’t get AT & T)… I’d had WOW for a week when I got the notification about AT & T being available. Since I was the first person off the new line, there was some troubleshooting involved getting everything to work right, but they were great thru the whole thing, and I ended up getting $400 back ($200 cash, $200 credit) out of the deal.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Nitsud Regnifloh
    Login to Send PM

Twixlen wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>

first person off the new line, there was some troubleshooting involved getting everything to work right, but they were great thru the whole thing, and I ended up getting $400 back ($200 cash, $200 credit) out of the deal.

same thing happened to us.

somertimeoh
    somertimeoh
    Login to Send PM

Since I live in an apt, I think I need to get resident support so we can have an option. The Time Warner monopoly really reduces my bargaining abilities :(

somertimeoh
    somertimeoh
    Login to Send PM

My parents have FiOS in Dallas. I hate the interface, but the picture quality is ridiculous. And I’m a Verizon lover. One day my life will be simplified with one bill for all my technology crap :)

midislut
    midislut
    Login to Send PM

the Uverse website always stated the service wasn’t available for our house. i went to the AT&T store and within 5 mins they told me that the house across the street had service. they put a ticket in for service and within two days i had scheduled to have Uverse installed this friday. really looking forward to telling directv to go pound sand.

Lakee911
    Lakee911
    Login to Send PM

I have TW and I’m not a huge fan, but it works for me. I negotiated some lower rates, but recently I got DirectTV ad in my possesion. I’d like to see if TW will match/beat it.

I’ve only got AT&T telephone and WOW and TW cable lines on my pole….no Uverse for me either.

Funny story: A co-worker of mine told me that his neighbor had Uverse so he called up and scheduled an appt. to install and in the meantime he canceled TW. When Uverse folk showed up for some reason he was JUST past the cutoff and he couldn’t get it. He was pissed and then he had to call TW back. Sucks.

honavery
    Login to Send PM

Just got Uverse installed myself, after finally having it available in my area. Good stuff so far, but I’m almost positive they have no kind of cable card program, since it’s actually IPTV, not cable.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?