Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

Broken component video cable.

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Broken component video cable.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Ndcent Ndcent 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ndcent
    Ndcent
    Login to Send PM

So say I’ve got something like this:

t_11040.jpg

And suppose one of the male ends of one of the feeds is broken off.

Can this be easily repaired? Anyone ever fix something like this?

Could I just take a new a male end off a spare RCA cable and splice it to the component cable?

Is it honestly that easy?

michaelcoyote
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Ndcent wrote

And suppose one of the male ends of one of the feeds is broken off.

Can this be easily repaired? Anyone ever fix something like this?

If it’s one of the RCA connectors (one of the red, green or blue connectors) then yes I have. I’m assuming the other side connector is some fancy proprietary connector for a camera or some such.

Ndcent wrote Could I just take a new a male end off a spare RCA cable and splice it to the component cable?

Is it honestly that easy?

Yes you could although unless I’m unable to run out and get a cable, I’d consider it a temporary fix. It should work though. You might get some slight degradation of signal though I doubt it would be that noticeable.

I keep just spare RCA connectors around for making quick repairs, although most of those require soldering. While it’s easy to do, it does require that you have a soldering iron and solder for connecting the wire to the new connector. Some spare connectors can be clamped or screwed on though. Your mileage may vary.

Ndcent
    Ndcent
    Login to Send PM

Well yes, the proprietary connector you speak of is to my Wii.

The damn blue feed snapped it’s male part off inside of my damn plasma.

So now I have a Wii component cable to fix (expensive cable) and I need to get that male end out of the tv…I’m thinking a super tiny drillbit and some tweezers.

Do I drink beer first?

michaelcoyote
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Ndcent wrote I’m thinking a super tiny drillbit and some tweezers.

Roa…err…haemostats… or if you can find a set of Needle Nose Pliers, you can use those

I’d avoid drilling…

Ndcent wrote Do I drink beer first?

A brandy to calm your nerves?

Daz
    Login to Send PM

if you don’t feel like splicing

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10830&cs_id=1083001&p_id=3490&seq=1&format=2

Nintendo Wii Audio Video ED Component Cable

• Original Value* : $35.01

Quantity

Our Price

$4.80

• Availability : In Stock

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Ndcent wrote

The damn blue feed snapped it’s male part off inside of my damn plasma.

So now I have a Wii component cable to fix (expensive cable) and I need to get that male end out of the tv…

How did you manage THAT?!

Daz
    Login to Send PM

Oh, and make sure whatever you touch inside that RCA jack with has a BIG rubber handle, those things will shock the hell out of you if given the chance…

Ndcent
    Ndcent
    Login to Send PM

Hot damn, Daz. That right there is a spankin good deal!

Mike…I dunno? I was pulling trying to squeeze out the audio cables so I could run connect them to some double female connectors and run sound to the amp, so I could like listen to other audio like a cd or ipod during Wii play and well it just snapped!?

The male connector piece is in there, some needle nose pliers wouldn’t “grab” it, so I’m thinking a super tiny drill (perhaps in reverse), or drill a tiny hole in it so I can stick a needle kinda at an angle and pull the sucker out.

It’s not something tweezers or needle nose pliers can readily grab, it’s like IN THERE MAN.

Ndcent
    Ndcent
    Login to Send PM

Yes I would have just run the whole dealio to my reciever but I want the ability to play a freakin cd while I bowl, YOU KNOW!

BrianG
    Login to Send PM

Is the part of the connector that is stuck in the TV hollow? If so you could put a bit of super glue on the end of a pin, glue it to the piece that broke off and pull it out.

Replacing the connector is very easy. Just 1 wire to the tip and 1 to the shield. You can probably splice, but soldering is better.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?