Our City Online

Messageboard - Miscellaneous Events

BP Protest Thursday, June 17th 2010

Home Forums Events Miscellaneous Events BP Protest Thursday, June 17th 2010

This topic contains 209 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anise1281 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 225 total)
  • Author

Anise1281
    Login to Send PM

If you are interested in protesting BP we are holding a protest on Thursday, June 17th from 12:00-1:00 pm at the BP station at 4400 N High St. Please come out to show your support for clean energy initiatives and holding BP accountable for its irresponsible actions. Lets show the media and our politicians that things MUST change now.

Immediately following the rally (1:00-2:00pm), we will be canvassing the neighborhood with a petition to get support for clean energy initiatives in Ohio and nationwide.

chaptal
    chaptal
    Login to Send PM

Is there a rain date?

Anise1281
    Login to Send PM

If the weather is bad we will have to reschedule but we do not have a date picked out at this time.

howatzer
    Login to Send PM

Is there any way to just cut and paste the last BP protest thread over to this one?

Anise1281
    Login to Send PM

I wasnt aware there was one.

howatzer
    Login to Send PM

Anise1281
    Login to Send PM

Wow, lots of haters. I guess we should just give up and let large corporations just do whatever they want because they have their fingers in every pie. So we are applying the “too big to fail” policy to BP now? Awesome but I didnt get the memo. I am going to take my dumb signs and waste my time because I am mad as hell that my fellow American taxpayers are being poisoned and put out of jobs and given $2,500 by BP to go away.

Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Anise1281 wrote >>
    Wow, lots of haters. I guess we should just give up and let large corporations just do whatever they want because they have their fingers in every pie. So we are applying the “too big to fail” policy to BP now? Awesome but I didnt get the memo. I am going to take my dumb signs and waste my time because I am mad as hell that my fellow American taxpayers are being poisoned and put out of jobs and given $2,500 by BP to go away.

ok, cool!

Core_Models
    Core_Models
    Login to Send PM

Anise1281 wrote >>
    If the weather is bad we will have to reschedule but we do not have a date picked out at this time.

This still makes me laugh every time.

I’m mad as hell…but don’t want to get wet or anything.

Roland
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Well Anise, no need to be defensive about your frustration with the oil spill situation. You would probably find a more accepting audience here if you were organizing a protest at one of BP’s corporate locations? Or maybe the Statehouse?

Everyone is frustrated with the gulf oil spill, but we differ in ideas on how to convey that frustration.

Anise1281
    Login to Send PM

I am more that willing to stand in a downpour but this is about getting other people out also to make a larger impact and that is a lot harder when the weather is bad so rescheduling makes sense.

Anise1281
    Login to Send PM

Roland wrote >>
    Well Anise, no need to be defensive about your frustration with the oil spill situation. You would probably find a more accepting audience here if you were organizing a protest at one of BP’s corporate locations? Or maybe the Statehouse?
    Everyone is frustrated with the gulf oil spill, but we differ in ideas on how to convey that frustration.

Roland, you have a very valid point that people differ in their ideas of how to convey their frustration. A statehouse demonstration would be a great idea. However, when we were coming up with ideas for a location, we did take into account that this may be a franchise location but the gas is still supplied by BP, therefore they are still profiting from the business. People keep saying these small business owners are not responsible for what BP does, but that makes zero sense because they do business with them and that allows them to still make money. These owners can buy their gas from other suppliers in they want to.

lifeontwowheels
    Login to Send PM

Anise1281 wrote >>

Roland wrote >>

Roland, you have a very valid point that people differ in their ideas of how to convey their frustration. A statehouse demonstration would be a great idea. However, when we were coming up with ideas for a location, we did take into account that this may be a franchise location but the gas is still supplied by BP, therefore they are still profiting from the business. People keep saying these small business owners are not responsible for what BP does, but that makes zero sense because they do business with them and that allows them to still make money. These owners can buy their gas from other suppliers in they want to.

You mean another supplier like Exxon?

Roland
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

@anise, there was an article on CNN yesterday that summed up a bunch of points made here last week pretty well. Please have a read. It explains the situation that BP branded gas stations are in.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/06/12/bp.protest.atlanta/index.html?hpt=T1

Gas stations cannot simply drop the BP logo though. Most franchise owners have contractual obligations to fulfill. Scaramella has a 20-year agreement with BP to carry its brand name and its gas.

Anise1281
    Login to Send PM

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

Anise1281 wrote >>

Roland wrote >>

You mean another supplier like Exxon?

I believe that by showing BP that we will not accept irresponsibility we also show other oil companies that if they are doing the same thing we will not support them either and their stock will fall too. This is about accountability. I do not think the other oil companies are perfect, but we can make an example of BP to encourage the others to invest in R&D to clean up accidents just like they invest in R&D to find new ways to get to the oil. 60 Minutes showed an OSHA chart with the safety violations of the top 5 companies and BP had 760 violations in the last 4 years compared to Shell and even yes Exxon who had like 6 or 8 each.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 225 total)

The forum ‘Miscellaneous Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.