Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

The Olympics in Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports The Olympics in Columbus?

This topic contains 57 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by 6a 6a 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • Author

bman
    Login to Send PM

We need to simply reply no … We don’t need to spend the millions on the bid that could hire police or firefighters. Only my opinion.

osubilly
    Login to Send PM

bman said:
    We need to simply reply no … We don’t need to spend the millions on the bid that could hire police or firefighters. Only my opinion.

Yuuup!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Just realized/remembered that next year’s Winter Olympics are being help in Sochi, Russia.

FWIW. ;)

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    Just realized/remembered that next year’s Winter Olympics are being help in Sochi, Russia.

FWIW. ;)

Not to mention Lillehammer, Turin, & Albertville. Pyeongchang, S. Korean in 2018.

NEOBuckeye
    NEOBuckeye
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Getting the Winter Olympics here is about as likely as a Michigan victory against OSU in football sometime in the next decade. Unless we suddenly grow a snow-capped mountain range, something that would be under threat anyway due to climate change, forget it. We’re not Denver or Salt Lake City.

I do think Columbus would be a good candidate for the Summer Olympics, assuming of course that the city could even get on the radar as something other than a nominal gesture. SO cities, however, tend to be undisputed regional economic and cultural capitals like Atlanta, Houston, or Barcelona, or global ones like New York or London. Columbus may be growing and fairing well economically, but it still isn’t remotely strong enough to carry Ohio, much less extend its economic and cultural influence throughout the Midwest the way that Chicago historically has done.

FWIW, I don’t see Indianapolis or Charlotte as being true regional capitals either, much less do I see them getting a serious crack at the Olympics in the foreseeable future. In addition, the Olympic Committee really seems to like showcasing cities that are unique cultural centers, and it doesn’t seem likely that they would count the Indy 500 or NASCAR as pluses in this area (though many Americans would no doubt disagree). Nashville maybe, if only because it is a music city, being the heart of country music, but that’s if Atlanta doesn’t trump them behind closed doors somehow, not wanting to have its status as “Capital of the New South” usurped by a rival.

osubilly
    Login to Send PM

NEOBuckeye said:
    Getting the Winter Olympics here is about as likely as a Michigan victory against OSU in football sometime in the next decade.

So Columbus will most likely get the Olympics???

Patch
    Patch
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

osubilly said:
    So Columbus will most likely get the Olympics???

Well, OSU has only beat Michigan 1 out of the last 3 years.

Lock it up!

Displaced Columbusite
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

osubilly said:
    Ohio Stadium could not be used for the opening and closing ceremonies without major renovations. I have a feeling that bleacher seating is not what the IOC would be looking for. We would need to build another stadium somewhere in the 9 figure range that we wouldn’t use for anything after the olympics was over.

I don’t find it worthwhile to even spend the money on a bid to the IOC; however, with that said, the Coliseum in LA (where USC plays) was used for the games (including opening and closing ceremonies), so I don’t see why Ohio Stadium couldn’t be used

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Displaced Columbusite said:
    I don’t find it worthwhile to even spend the money on a bid to the IOC; however, with that said, the Coliseum in LA (where USC plays) was used for the games (including opening and closing ceremonies), so I don’t see why Ohio Stadium couldn’t be used

That was in 84 before the olympics became quite as much of a bloated cash juggernaut as it is today. Now its a race to spend as much public money to build as big a stadium and other assorted items (which many cities have failed to find a use for after the games) as possible so the IOC, the media networks, and the contractor friends of the pols in charge can suck as much money as possible out of it. The shame of it is, that’s *all* it has become. They don’t even make much pretense that it’s anything else anymore.

osubilly
    Login to Send PM

Patch said:

Lock it up!

What? Are you not counting the vacated win? UM has only beat us once in the last 10 years.

Lu
    Lu
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

There was an NPR story on Friday about Columbus and Tulsa being invited to bid. They said there’s a simple reason: it increases competition among the serious contenders.

The United States Olympic Committee recently sent out letters to 35 mayors around the U.S. It’s looking for bids to host the 2024 Summer Olympics. Among those 35 cities were some you would expect — New York, Chicago, and L.A. But there were also some surpises like Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Columbus, Ohio which have city budgets far below the cost of hosting the summer games.

Chicago spent $10 million just to put in a bid to host the 2016 Olympics. When it got rejected, the International Olympic Committee did not reimburse the city. So why would a city make this costly bid?

Mark Spiegel is the co-author of a paper titled “The Olympic Effect,” which looked at the economic benefits of hosting mega-events like the Olympics. He says that for some cities in the developing world, the Olympics can put them on the world stage in a way that does lead to economic benefits.

But those benefits don’t have the same appeal for the U.S. The cost of the 2024 Olympics are expected exceed $3 billion. So why would the USOC ask a city like Tulsa, which has a total city budget of under $1 billion, to put in a bid?

“It’s pretty cheap for them to send out letters of intention to a bunch of different cities,” says Victor Matheson, a sports economist.

Even if the USOC has no intention of picking a city like Tulsa, Matheson says, the more bids the better because it increases competition — cities try to one up each other ensuring the lavish spectacle we’ve come to expect from the Olympic games.

Schoolboy
    Schoolboy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Patch said:

Lock it up!

LOL I guess if you count the vacating of all wins for 2010. For the last decade the real record is something like 8-2… still pointing to UM winning a couple in the next decade as well.

I would have to agree that Columbus should just say no to the Olympics though.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

@Lu, so its like a money making racket from the IOC?

ehill27
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Columbus to pass on 2024 Olympic bid
    By: Steve Wartenberg
    The Columbus Dispatch – April 17, 2013 10:42 AM

After studying the massive logistical requirements, the Greater Columbus Sports Commission determined the city has the workforce capabilities and could build an Olympic Village, but “our current and projected transportation, lodging and facilities assets fall short of what would realistically be needed.”

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/the-bottom-line/2013/04/columbus-will-pass-on-olympic-bid.html

bman
    Login to Send PM

Good decision! Other places we can spend the money that a bid would cost, see the hilltop thread.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?