Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Biking to work

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Biking to work

This topic contains 73 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by News News 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • Author

leftovers
    Login to Send PM

0Angle said:
    Tuttle Park.

Unfortunately those parking spaces are hard to come by so close to campus.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

0Angle said:
    Tuttle Park.

sucks to get there from 315 too.

0Angle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

groundrules said:
    sucks to get there from 315 too.

Very true. I live due east of there and on the rare occasion that I drive across the river it takes forever, especially with the Dodridge bridge out. It’s where I access the path and was in my tunnel vision.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

0Angle said:
    Very true. I live due east of there and on the rare occasion that I drive across the river it takes forever, especially with the Dodridge bridge out. It’s where I access the path and was in my tunnel vision.

man, I cannot WAIT for that bridge to be done.

0Angle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

groundrules said:
    man, I cannot WAIT for that bridge to be done.

Traffic crossing at King or Lane is so bad that it’s faster to ride from Dublin rd., than to drive.

surber17
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

what about Whetstone park?

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

surber17 said:
    what about Whetstone park?

my guess is that would have the same problem of access from 315. it would take forever to get to there from bethel.

If you want to start that far north, and are interested in easiest access from 315, i’d say the small parking at Northmoor Park. 315->N.Broadway->left on Milton and on down. Google Maps does it better, but the parking is actually at the west end of Northmoor

surber17
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

instead of getting on 315 i thought of taking olentangy river road to henderson then down to Whetstone park.

surber17
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

leftovers said:
    I used to know someone who would park at the Kroger on Olentangy River Rd and bike through Union Cemetery to the trail and go from there.

So I’ve been doing this the past 2 days and have been loving it. OSU keeps their bike trails super nice and its about a 25-30 min. ride each way. Next question is … I’m looking to upgrade my bike to something fun, fast, less expensive, and able to attach bags,etc. ….. ideas?

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

surber17 said:
    So I’ve been doing this the past 2 days and have been loving it. OSU keeps their bike trails super nice and its about a 25-30 min. ride each way. Next question is … I’m looking to upgrade my bike to something fun, fast, less expensive, and able to attach bags,etc. ….. ideas?

I have a very basic Trek hybrid bike and I really like it. I have a few accessories on it, and it’s still pretty light.

It’s great your biking to work. I find it to be extremely enjoyable too (I forgo all the fancy spandex)…plus I easily get my exercise in for the day while I’m actually commuting. Kills two birds with one stone. Last year I started getting off the trail at OSU Med Center (mostly due to the construction going on near the bike trail) and found Neil Avenue is equally as enjoyable as riding down the Olentangy path, and relatively safe due to all the other bike traffic.

surber17
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

columbusmike said:
    I have a very basic Trek hybrid bike and I really like it. I have a few accessories on it, and it’s still pretty light.

It’s great your biking to work. I find it to be extremely enjoyable too (I forgo all the fancy spandex)…plus I easily get my exercise in for the day while I’m actually commuting. Kills two birds with one stone. Last year I started getting off the trail at OSU Med Center (mostly due to the construction going on near the bike trail) and found Neil Avenue is equally as enjoyable as riding down the Olentangy path, and relatively safe due to all the other bike traffic.

I’ve been getting off at 5th and heading down to Michigan (its paved) …. cuts about 8 min. off the ride and less hills. And I agree, I get my workout in while commuting and its taking me about 30 min. to drive in on 315 anyway so the time isn’t much different.

Cole
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

surber17 said:
    I’ve been getting off at 5th and heading down to Michigan (its paved) …. cuts about 8 min. off the ride and less hills. And I agree, I get my workout in while commuting and its taking me about 30 min. to drive in on 315 anyway so the time isn’t much different.

I also like Perry Street. It’s the first intersection after you get off the bike path. You take Perry -> 1st -> Harrison which turns into Buttles -> Park Street. I’ve always really enjoyed the route although I take the exit near 3rd rather than 5th.

As far as a fast bike, I know nothing of that because I’m pretty slow. Maybe you could upgrade your current bike. Fenders, bike rack, and smooth tires go a long way.

Plus, I would look more at comfort rather than speed. Thin tires are great for speed but not for comfort. Drop downs are great for speed but not super comfortable in my opinion. That’s just something to keep in mind.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

surber17 said:

It’s the engine more than anything. ;)

Take a look at some of the local shops, they may have something that fits the budget. Depending on what you are currently riding you could get a touring frame from a mail order like Nashbar for around $150 or less and simply swap parts from the current bike.

surber17
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Well now I feel like a real cyclist …… because I got hit by a car yesterday. Amazingly I’m fine but my bike’s front wheel is bent, looks like I will be getting a new bike sooner than I expected.

0Angle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

DANG. What happened?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?