Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Bike Shelters & Bike Racks - News & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Bike Shelters & Bike Racks – News & Discussion

This topic contains 325 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by News News 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 335 total)
  • Author
    MRipley
    MRipley
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    Depends on the road; I don’t like the planned bike lanes on King because it seems to eliminate on street parking with a number of apartment buildings on the same street.

Roberts, on the other hand, seems to have turned out well.

^^^ Nailed it

johnwirtz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    The top city in the nation for bicycle commuting is Portland at 5.4%. So let’s call that the upper limit.

Is the return on investment ( see your list above ) worth the cost? Sure, any number would be a WAG, but at some point if not enough people bicycle you’d agree that the infrastructure costs wouldn’t be worth it, right?

There have been various reports on economic impacts of bicycling and construction jobs produced, etc…, but I agree that it’s hard to measure definitively. It’s especially hard since we don’t have the same kind of data on bike usage that we have for cars.

I would agree though that there is some cost per user threshold that wouldn’t make sense. I have no idea what that number is, but bike facilities are inherently very low cost. The most expensive facilities are trails and bridges, which are also the most well used and the safest.

ETA – I had some data on cost per mile of bike facilities from the bike plan in this post: http://xingcolumbus.wordpress.com/2008/05/20/bicentennial-bikeways-master-plan-details/

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

johnwirtz said:
    It’s especially hard since we don’t have the same kind of data on bike usage that we have for cars.

Right. Also, estimating things like “parking spaces not created” involves presuming all else is equal, which it almost never is.

Conceptually I like bike trails, though. Sure it diverts funding from roads but keeping bike traffic away from cars seems to work out well for both drivers and cyclists. No door zone, no cyclists blowing through red lights / stop signs, no cyclists creamed by soccer moms on cell phones turning right, etc.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    Conceptually I like bike trails, though.

Happy Friday the 13th, Rus. ;)

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Let’s not forget that bike trails, parks, nice bridges, etc also have an effect in where people chose to live. No one wants to live in a sterile, one-mode, no-amenity place.

GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    Depends on the road; I don’t like the planned bike lanes on King because it seems to eliminate on street parking with a number of apartment buildings on the same street.

Those buildings all have their own parking lots. You believe they don’t rather than know they do. You made a decision about a project based on beliefs rather than knowledge.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

GCrites80s said:
    Those buildings all have their own parking lots. You believe they don’t rather than know they do. You made a decision about a project based on beliefs rather than knowledge.

Um. Sure, there’s parking lots. There’s also cars parked on that street; I drive through there frequently.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    Happy Friday the 13th, Rus. ;)

A’ight, you caught me. Obviously I only like bike trails because they provide cover for me to hide while wearing a goalie mask and carrying a machete to hack up innocent peace loving don’t smell bad at all cyclists in an orgy of blood, gore, and general fun.

*sulks off to home depot to browse power tool section*

GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    Um. Sure, there’s parking lots. There’s also cars parked on that street; I drive through there frequently.

Do you live in one of the buildings or visit people there? If not, why do you even care if the amount of parking is reduced?

pedex
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:

Roberts, on the other hand, seems to have turned out well.

car usage is declining

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

GCrites80s said:
    Do you live in one of the buildings or visit people there? If not, why do you even care if the amount of parking is reduced?

Hey, look. You admit the amount of parking is reduced.

Gee. It’s almost as if there’s trade offs for promoting bike centered infrastructure. Whoda thunk.

I drive. I want parking available. Everywhere.

pedex
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

rus said:
    Hey, look. You admit the amount of parking is reduced.

Gee. It’s almost as if there’s trade offs for promoting bike centered infrastructure. Whoda thunk.

I drive. I want parking available. Everywhere.

then pay for it

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

pedex said:
    then pay for it

Call me when there’s a bike tax.

NerosNeptune
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

First they came for the on-street parking on King
    and I didn’t speak out, because I do not park there..

then they came for me,
    and there was nowhere left to park

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

NerosNeptune said:
    First they came for the on-street parking on King
    and I didn’t speak out, because I do not park there..

then they came for me,
    and there was nowhere left to park

HA! Love it!

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 335 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?