Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bike Lanes in the Hilltop but none on High St?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Bike Lanes in the Hilltop but none on High St?

This topic contains 265 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Coley 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 267 total)
  • Author

Coley

I heard about this “plan” to put bike lanes in the Hilltop on W. Broad St. This would take away parking along the street (at least one side). I know there are not many businesses along the strip now, but wouldn’t this hinder business development? If I were thinking about opening a business on W.Broad with the possibility of no on street parking in the future I would consider this a deal breaker. In addition I see a saftey issue here- W. Broad traffic is out of hand in terms of speed. I myself wouldn’t ride on Broad St. Why aren’t there bike lanes on High street in South Clintonville/North Campus area? It seems this would be a more appropriate place to install bike lanes.

Just throwing out the topic for discussion- thoughts?

roy
    Participant

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

In a word High Street is too narrow. The typical recommendation for a bike lane is 5 feet. I played with this on google maps and you can see where the issue is.

Here is the West Broad solution, from the above linked website, that probably better clarifies the width issue. (PDF)

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I clicked send post too quick, here is a good map of the off street parking in the area. (PDF)

You can see on some of the above links that in trying to squeeze everything in you will have to sacrifice something. I really don’t think making an area more bike friendly will have any negative impact on the area. If anything, it will hopefully get more people out on bikes and exploring the various communities. It is a lot easier to quickly pull off the road on a bike, lock it up and walk around popping into neighborhood stores than to do it by car.

Considering the issue we have with narrow city streets, bike lanes are going to be difficult to implement given the parking and transit issues. If we are going to do specific infrastructure projects, it would be far better to spend the money on improvements to benefit the greater community-complete streets, 2 way conversions and bike boulevards-than on projects that 1-2% of the population would use. Though I am hoping that percentage goes up, quickly.

If we are going to consider bike lane, let’s consider a bike and bus only lane like Paris[/url].

misskitty
    Participant

I think bike lanes would be great in the area. Parking is not an issue by any means There are lots of places to park. Lots of off street that don’t require Permits :ick: .I love the way it is now the only thing I would love to see is a little traffic calming in Franklinton and the Hilltop areas. It’s real easy for people to hit 50mph driving in those areas.

Coley

misskitty wrote >>
    I think bike lanes would be great in the area. Parking is not an issue by any means There are lots of places to park. Lots of off street that don’t require Permits :ick: .I love the way it is now the only thing I would love to see is a little traffic calming in Franklinton and the Hilltop areas. It’s real easy for people to hit 50mph driving in those areas.

No kidding- especially the stretch from 70 to Highland- that is what concerns me. People are going 50-60mph or more. I agree that area is very wide- up to 7 lanes of traffic total- I’m concerned about the stretch from the Health Center to Terrace Ave- a little narrow and not much room for error. Does the Health Center allow parking in their lot for non health center clients?

misskitty
    Participant

Have you seen the lot ? My goodness it is huge. I am sure it’s suppose to be for Health Canter Visitors but I doubt that anyone would say a thing about someone parking there. I think the only time you would see any opposition is during something like Red, White, and Boom.
    Speeding is insane on Broad. Something should be done to control that first. I avoid it for my commutes to work (downtown). I use the super special back way and avoid Broad from the Hilltop all the way Downtown.

Coley

misskitty wrote >>
    Have you seen the lot ? My goodness it is huge. I am sure it’s suppose to be for Health Canter Visitors but I doubt that anyone would say a thing about someone parking there. I think the only time you would see any opposition is during something like Red, White, and Boom.
    Speeding is insane on Broad. Something should be done to control that first. I avoid it for my commutes to work (downtown). I use the super special back way and avoid Broad from the Hilltop all the way Downtown.

I use the secret agent way to 670 as well! I see more people biking along McKinley than I do on Broad!

sik

This document might be helpful to understand the consultant’s recommendation for bike lanes on W Broad St. W Broad info
    By striping parallel parking on one side and bike lanes on both sides of the road in the Hilltop commercial area, the width of the road for cars during peak hours will decrease from 60 ft to 40 ft. This change will calm traffic on W Broad St, contributing to a safer road for bicyclists and pedestrians. There is sufficient off-street parking that is underutilized.
    An image of the consultant’s recommendation in the Hilltop commercial area is here W Broad image
    We have heard from some existing bicyclists that they currently take Eureka over to McKinley in order to get downtown. During our public input from over 900 people in the Hilltop, we also heard that many people want to bike, but do not currently. The number one place where Hilltop residents wanted to be able to bike more easily was on W Broad St. When the amount of bicycle infrastructure increases, the number of bicyclists increases, which leads to increased safety.
    Josh Sikich
    Hilltop Community Mobility Plan study team

Matthew
    Participant

sik wrote >>
    This document might be helpful to understand the consultant’s recommendation for bike lanes on W Broad St. W Broad info
    By striping parallel parking on one side and bike lanes on both sides of the road in the Hilltop commercial area, the width of the road for cars during peak hours will decrease from 60 ft to 40 ft. This change will calm traffic on W Broad St, contributing to a safer road for bicyclists and pedestrians. There is sufficient off-street parking that is underutilized.
    An image of the consultant’s recommendation in the Hilltop commercial area is here W Broad image
    We have heard from some existing bicyclists that they currently take Eureka over to McKinley in order to get downtown. During our public input from over 900 people in the Hilltop, we also heard that many people want to bike, but do not currently. The number one place where Hilltop residents wanted to be able to bike more easily was on W Broad St. When the amount of bicycle infrastructure increases, the number of bicyclists increases, which leads to increased safety.
    Josh Sikich

Over 900 people? Which business owners on Broad contributed please? ALL of the offstreet parking shown is on private property. Tell me, does the city plan to help those owners carry liability insurance? What about delivery zones? As a homeowner I want to see a listing of these 900 people. You have a dot on top of my house. My neighbors 3 houses in each direction have never heard of it, nor have I.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Thanks for the comments, Josh. Where is the Hilltop Mobility Plan now?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Matthew wrote >>

sik wrote >>
    Josh Sikich

Over 900 people? Which business owners on Broad contributed please? ALL of the offstreet parking shown is on private property. Tell me, does the city plan to help those owners carry liability insurance? What about delivery zones?

Liability insurance? With all the bikeways and improvements on public property, I don’t think this is even a consideration.

Matthew
    Participant

Yes, Liability insurance to those private property owners being offered by Josh Sikich as parking alternatives. These are private properties.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Matthew wrote >>
    Yes, Liability insurance to those private property owners being offered by Josh Sikich as parking alternatives. These are private properties. Is this a case of future imminent domain?

Understand now. I was confused by what you were actually referring too. I think the main parking solution, offered by Josh and the mobility plan, is this:

…striping parallel parking on one side and bike lanes on both sides of the road in the Hilltop commercial area

and seen in the links above. It seems off street is only a secondary consideration at this point.

kathyhoke

Comparing parking and bicycling accomodations in the Short North to those on West Broad Street’s depressed commercial district is like comparing shopping at Whole Foods to shopping at the food pantry. We have to look at what we have now to what it could be.

Today on West Broad Street’s Highland West area, we have six lanes of traffic and on-street, parallel parking permitted off-peak hours on both sides. It’s huge, ugly and not friendly for pedestrians and bicyclists, nor is it compatible with the largely intact, pre-1930s street-front architecture in this business district. Unlike the Short North, we have far more available parking than we need.

After more than a year of public input, an overwhelming majority of Hilltop residents and visitors say they want bike lanes on West Broad Street. Please visit Hilltop Community Mobility Plan website http://www.hilltopmobility.com/ to learn more and to give final comments by Nov. 23. Time’s running out, because engineering must begin next month for a previously scheduled resurfacing project. If the Hilltop community speaks loudly at this late hour against bike lanes, we’re likely to get the same unfriendly street condition we have now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 267 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.