Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

Best Factory Tours in Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Best Factory Tours in Columbus?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  sugarplumclarey 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

sugarplumclarey
    Login to Send PM

Anybody know of good factory and facility tours we can take in/near Columbus? I know that SWACO gives group tours. This could make an interesting article, but mainly I am interested in finding low-budget fun. Thanks!

pez
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

American Whistle, the only US manufacturer of metal whistles. They make most, if not all of the whistles used in the NFL, NCAA and other professional sports. My wife took the tour a couple years ago with some children and loved it. The admission price covers the cost of a whistle and lanyard at the end.

asil
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Anthony Thomas does tours. I haven’t toured it but I would bet there’s a little free chocolate involved which is never a bad thing.

Graeter’s on Bethel does tours.

And the Krema Nut Company in Grandview does tours, but it looks like there’s a 20 person minimum so if you can get a bunch of friends together…

If you don’t mind a little ride to Mansfield they have a pretty cool carrousel factory and museum tour. I can’t find the site but it’s basically right across the street from the Richland Carrousel Park[/url] I have done this tour, our tour guide was kind of an idiot but otherwise it was interesting and fun. And paired with a ride on the Carrousel across the street it was a good day.

Have fun and let us know where you go!

BreakfastwithNick
    BreakfastwithNick
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Does the big Budweiser brewery do tours?

Core_Models
    Core_Models
    Login to Send PM

ndekke39 wrote >>
    Does the big Budweiser brewery do tours?

They used to, I went on one in the late 80′s, and at that time you got a lot of free beer too. I think I remember hearing that at least the free beer part changed though.

pez
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The Budweiser tours were discontinued there as part of one of the expansions. Other than the free beer at the end, it wasn’t really that good of a tour though, outside of some interesting history, it seemed more of an afterthought. I can’t help but wonder whether Gov. Taft’s draconian views on alcohol and giving out freebies may have helped seal its fate.

Some others I found at FactoryToursUSA.com : Krema Nut and Honda. And if you’re desperate … The Original Mattress Factory.

Core_Models
    Core_Models
    Login to Send PM

I actually think I’ve heard good things about the Krema tour now that you mention it.

Core_Models
    Core_Models
    Login to Send PM

honavery
    Login to Send PM

I’ve been on the Anthony Thomas tour and thought it was pretty dull.

The Budweiser tour was pretty good I thought. Just the size of the operation was impressive to me.

Kerry
    Kerry
    Login to Send PM

http://www.americanwhistle.com/

Only manufacturer of metal whistles in the USA.

heresthecasey
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

vevet ice cream up in utica, http://www.velveticecream.com/mill/tours.asp

sugarplumclarey
    Login to Send PM

You are all awesome for giving so many recommendations. Thanks! Now I have plenty of things to stay busy with through summer. To add to the pile, I found a washboard company in Logan that does an annual festival: http://www.columbuswashboard.com/ …apparently the only washboard made in the USA. Who knew? I would love to buy about 5 of those things and tie them together to make a headboard.

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

it isn’t a factory,

Tours of the Ohio Governor’s Residence and Heritage Garden

http://www.governorsresidence.ohio.gov/tours.aspx

The Ohio Statehouse

http://www.ohiochannel.org/your_state/ohio_statehouse/tours/index.cfm

turbo ninja
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

You may be able to talk one of the local microbrewers into a tour, inasmuch as standing in a room and pointing at vats is a “tour.”

I took one at the Sweetwater brewery in Atlanta, but the actual tour was an afterthought and excuse to have a live band in the parking lot and drink lots of super-cheap beer after exhausting the coupons for free pints you get when you pay your admission fee.

CBC could do something similar: Block off the lot, drag some band down from the CD101 Big Room up the street, and put on a rock show. Charge admission and provide a pint glass (or plastic cup to avoid breakage) plus a couple of beer tokens, and get people down there to enjoy your product and give them basic tours of the brewing operation. After the tokens are used up, accept “green tokens,” aka cash money, for further refills. Make a further fortune off pizzas and apps from the restaurant.

asil
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I just learned that CaJohn’s Fiery Foods[/url] does tours at their Oakland Park factory. Chef Steve spoke at an event of mine last night and it was incredibly informative, funny, interesting and interactive. CaJohn and Steve did demos at the Fiery Foods Festival at North Market a few months ago.

If hot stuff is your thing check it out, should be a good time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?