Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

Average electricity bill for 2bdrm ~900 sq. ft. apartment?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Average electricity bill for 2bdrm ~900 sq. ft. apartment?

This topic contains 59 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  wylder 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • Author

mrsgeedeck
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

stephentszuter said:
    I think the the “auto-away” feature is what makes it worth it. Regardless, you’re right, it might be better in the end to buy a run-of-the-mill programmable thermostat. My landlord determines how hot my apartment is, so I don’t have the option of trying either…

:)

I used my work bonus to buy the Nest for our house this year and I love it. There are other programmable thermostats on the market for half the cost, but as you say, the Auto Away feature is great, so is the ability to adjust the temp from your phone. We’d turned on Auto Away last weekend while visiting family and as soon as we saw the city skyline from the highway turned the heat back on so the house was warming up when we got in.
    We’d installed a cheaper programmable model in our old place, and while it was nice, we still made mistakes in using it (home from work early so I need to turn it off and adjust the temp, type thing). Nest pretty much automates itself so less room for user error.

stephentszuter
    stephentszuter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

mrsgeedeck said:
    I used my work bonus to buy the Nest for our house this year and I love it. There are other programmable thermostats on the market for half the cost, but as you say, the Auto Away feature is great, so is the ability to adjust the temp from your phone. We’d turned on Auto Away last weekend while visiting family and as soon as we saw the city skyline from the highway turned the heat back on so the house was warming up when we got in.
    We’d installed a cheaper programmable model in our old place, and while it was nice, we still made mistakes in using it (home from work early so I need to turn it off and adjust the temp, type thing). Nest pretty much automates itself so less room for user error.

Work what? I want one of those…

DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

We’re all electric and with heat and our 26 aquariums, running about $175 per month.

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

My bill was unusually high this month, about double. I have a house but use gas heat and I honestly couldn’t figure out why it was so high. I wanted to check the meter but was just too busy. I do expect some sort of credit next month. We shall see.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

@stephenstzuter I’d rather have gotten a raise for the last three years than a bonus. Raise in base pay=more for retirement. Bonus=post tax band aid.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

DavidF said:
    …our 26 aquariums…

Wait, what? For real? :O

wylder
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Switched the water heater thermostat to a lower temp, ordered a bunch of Kill-a-watt plugin monitors, checked all the weather seals. Decided against replacing the basic thermostat for now. Let’s see how the next month goes. Honestly, this would not be a concern if not for the fact that I can not seem to find the root cause of so much energy usage!
    The bill mentions the last bill was based on actual reading, not an estimated one. <mad face>

Big_Ford_Country84
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I put kill switchs on the TV, Computer & modem, all my lights are now cfl and I want LEDS. We also have electric ceiling fans in every room. We have a newer energy fridge. My hot water and heat are gas. I have a 900sf house built 1965 with newer windows, insulation and siding. My electric bill runs $60-$100.(Christmas light and Halloween decore killed me) I am a miser we try to use rechargable batteries for everything, with my solar chargers. I also run electric scooter/bikes in the summer to save gas in my car.
    For a charge of $120 you really need to uplug and check all the phantom power items. How old is your fridge?(clean dust off the coils) TV DVD Stereo Computer on kill switches? Energy star furnace (clean filter) or Hot water tank?(turn tank down a notch (or two) and wrap it in insulation). Switch out ALL your light bulbs to CFL or LED (save the old ones and replace them when you move)

DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    Wait, what? For real? :O

Well, when you have a wife that works for an aquarium store, things happen.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

As long as they’re full of fish and not zombie heads, that’s cool with me. ;)

DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    As long as they’re full of fish and not zombie heads, that’s cool with me. ;)

Well, that’s what makes her so much fun, you never know where her interests will take her. ;)

ches08
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

We just bought an all electric house, 1600sq, built in 1978. The windows are newer, we just put new insulation in the attic, the furnace, hot water tank and appliances are all brand new. We get a lot of natural light so we don’t use a lot of lights. We keep the heat at 64.

We don’t have cable, so there are no cable boxes being left on or plugged in. Only two tvs in the house and necessary appliance plugged in.

We have been getting actual readings for our AEP bill and coming out to 3,600kw being used, which is equaling almost $400 bills.

We have had AEP come out and they say the meter is working correctly and tested it with the breakers off.

This just does not seem right to me… This is A LOT of usage for not a lot of living!

Any input? What else could be wrong?

Sam Hill
    Login to Send PM

I live in a cozy 400 sq ft. flat and I keep absolutely everything unplugged when I’m gone, even the fridge, and usually even when I’m there too. I have figured out which perishables to buy. I don’t turn the lights on unless I absolutely have to, usually a strong candle will give me enough light to get my reading done. I also put bubble wrap-like plastic over my windows in winter to prevent any unnecessary heat from leaking out. The highest my electric bill has ever been in the winter is $4.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ches08 said:
    We just bought an all electric house, 1600sq, built in 1978. The windows are newer, we just put new insulation in the attic, the furnace, hot water tank and appliances are all brand new. We get a lot of natural light so we don’t use a lot of lights. We keep the heat at 64.

We don’t have cable, so there are no cable boxes being left on or plugged in. Only two tvs in the house and necessary appliance plugged in.

We have been getting actual readings for our AEP bill and coming out to 3,600kw being used, which is equaling almost $400 bills.

We have had AEP come out and they say the meter is working correctly and tested it with the breakers off.

This just does not seem right to me… This is A LOT of usage for not a lot of living!

Any input? What else could be wrong?

3600 kwh would be more than 10,000,000 BTU/month. That’s a little on the high side, but actually not *totally* out of the relm of possibility for a ’70s 1600 sq ft house. Get your furnace checked, it might not be working right.

Or you might have a draft that’s leaking cold air in somewhere and making it run a lot. Or your walls might not be well insulated. Or… well there are a lot of things it could be. You should get one of the home energy audits where they check for airleaks and everything. But around here electric is going to be the most expensive way to heat your house at the moment.

peter
    peter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

My (2 year old) apt is all-electric. Avg utility bill including water and power is around $150. 900 sq ft.

Avg usage is 550 KW/h a month (or, in more sensible units, 780 watts).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?