Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

Average electricity bill for 2bdrm ~900 sq. ft. apartment?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Average electricity bill for 2bdrm ~900 sq. ft. apartment?

This topic contains 59 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  wylder 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author

wylder
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

168. That’s right. This month the electric bill sent to us by APL was ~168 for a 2bdrm 900 or so sq. ft. apartment in Dublin, OH. When I spoke with American Power and Light (APL) “customer support” they casually brushed my question aside. When I persisted, one person hung up on me and the other put me on hold indefinitely.

My question is: What do you think of the $168/month electricity charge? Am I overpaying? Should I be involving the Better Business Bureau (BBB) at this point?

P.S. APL has a horrid rating of ‘F’ on BBB. I see now why that is… http://www.bbb.org/centralohio/business-reviews/electric-companies/american-power-light-llc-in-columbus-oh-65004536/

P.P.S. Apt. is centrally heated/cooled and that is all-electric.

stephentszuter
    stephentszuter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I have a 500 sq ft apartment downtown that uses radiators and no a/c and I run about $15/month…

I am very energy conscious, though. The only thing I leave plugged in while I’m at work is my refrigerator.

romanh
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m closer to 1300 sq ft and the most I’ve seen my bill get up to is $60. However, I’ve been in a smaller space down in German Village paying around $120 regularly. Both on the same company.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

If you have electric heat it’s gonna be high. If you don’t have electric heat that’s pretty weird.

wylder
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The apartment is indeed all-electric. Having said that, the thermostat is adjusted to ~65 deg F when I leave for work around 7AM and re-adjusted to ~71 or so before going to bed around 11PM. I am about to get some plug-in meters for each of the power outlets in use in the apartment. That should tell me how efficient or inefficient the central heating/cooling is…thanks for the answers; keep them coming.

Rockmastermike said:
    If you have electric heat it’s gonna be high. If you don’t have electric heat that’s pretty weird.

stephentszuter
    stephentszuter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

wylder said:
    The apartment is indeed all-electric. Having said that, the thermostat is adjusted to ~65 deg F when I leave for work around 7AM and re-adjusted to ~71 or so before going to bed around 11PM. I am about to get some plug-in meters for each of the power outlets in use in the apartment. That should tell me how efficient or inefficient the central heating/cooling is…thanks for the answers; keep them coming.

You should buy Nest Thermostat, if you have the money. I hear that is saving people a bit of money…

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

stephentszuter said:
    You should buy Nest Thermostat, if you have the money. I hear that is saving people a bit of money…

a good programable thermostat is a good investment. That being said, you can get a decent one that does the job for about 1/8 of what they charge for the ‘nest’.

AlanBarber
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Sounds about right… My AEP bill for a 2br townhome in Dublin was 142 this month.

Winter months make the bill jump a lot if you have electric heat. Summer I usually see a bill around 80-100 and winter around 150-170. Since moving to my current place the lowest bill I’ve had was $60 one October and $190 once in a January.

Definitely get a programmable thermostat if you don’t have one. less than 50 bucks can get you a 5+2 programmable to help control the temp and save a few bucks a month by not wasting energy when you aren’t home. They’re easy to install, only took me 30 minutes last spring.

wylder
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I have been looking at the NEST thermostat for a bit now. Good point.

stephentszuter said:

What I did find out from neighbors is that there seems to be an asymptotic floor for the monthly charge no matter the usage. That tells me some of the charge stem from external lighting around the complex and not from within the apartment. If true, this is quite unscrupulous I think.

AlanBarber said:
    Sounds about right… My AEP bill for a 2br townhome in Dublin was 142 this month.

Winter months make the bill jump a lot if you have electric heat. Summer I usually see a bill around 80-100 and winter around 150-170. Since moving to my current place the lowest bill I’ve had was $60 one October and $190 once in a January.

Definitely get a programmable thermostat if you don’t have one. less than 50 bucks can get you a 5+2 programmable to help control the temp and save a few bucks a month by not wasting energy when you aren’t home. They’re easy to install, only took me 30 minutes last spring.

misskitty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

HereYou can get low cost programmable thermostats and rebates from the Columbia gas web site.

stephentszuter
    stephentszuter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Rockmastermike said:
    a good programable thermostat is a good investment. That being said, you can get a decent one that does the job for about 1/8 of what they charge for the ‘nest’.

I think the the “auto-away” feature is what makes it worth it. Regardless, you’re right, it might be better in the end to buy a run-of-the-mill programmable thermostat. My landlord determines how hot my apartment is, so I don’t have the option of trying either…

:)

leftovers
    Login to Send PM

If you are being billed by AEP and think there is an issue with paying for other circuits then pull all the breakers on your panel and see if the meter stops spinning.

wylder
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The provider is APL (American Power and Light) not AEP. I will switch the master breaker off and see if the meter stops running…but before that I need to find out where that darn meter is! Guess I am going meter-hunting after work :P

leftovers said:
    If you are being billed by AEP and think there is an issue with paying for other circuits then pull all the breakers on your panel and see if the meter stops spinning.

wylder
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Found this handy guide to changing the temperature on the water heater too: http://waterheatertimer.org/How-to-adjust-temperature-on-water-heater.html

Operation “Take back the carbons” will commence after work :)

Jman4ever
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

One thing to check. Was your bill based on an actual read or an estimate. If it was an estimate, they may have estimated higher than actual usage, and you will “catch down” at the next bill.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?