Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Architectural drawings for porch replacement

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Architectural drawings for porch replacement

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  mfl243 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

mfl243
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

My 1912 Merion Village house lost its porch years ago and it’s bothering me relentlessly. How do I find an architect/draftsman (draftsperson?) who is willing to come up with an accurate drawing for the replacement?

I’ve tapped my grapevine, but it seems too small a job, as it simply needs to reflect what was originally on the house and porches don’t have many moving parts. Any recommendations or potential places to start? Thanks

derm
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I rebuilt my porch a few years back. Had to resurface the concrete, refoot the posts and then wanted to add railings. I drove around my neighborhood to see what I liked that others porches had about them. I guess I would drive around and take some pics in your neighborhood to see what parches you like. You can try to recreate the original porch or you can build something that you may like more. There are plenty of local builders that would do a project like that. I recommend Georgetown builders here in town, they did a small addition project for me about 6 or so years ago. They will know people who do plans as well. Also check in to permits from the city to see what you need. Builders can do the permit process if you dont want to be the contractor.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Hahaha, the word you are looking for is “draughtsperson” :) They have a kneaded eraser and a feathery dusting brush for blueprints, and maybe a chalkline. I could arrange, I am such a person. My whole family is union Ironworkers so architectural stuff is my bag.

I’ll gladly do a drawing of anything. But I agree with derm, what would porch would originally be on your style of house?

Or you can just go commando and make whatever porch you want within city code.

I’ll gladly draw the Starship Enterprise on there if you want.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

is that like the British version of the word?

laymen can also play with google sketchup if you want…

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Very cute GR! Thanks for asking :) I am actually pretty knowleageable in architectural styles and drawing.

It’s just the pretentious CCAD version (that’s what my profs taught me). A person who makes drawing is a draughtsperson, a drafter.

Just like a bartender who draws a draft beer. Or a draft animal who pulls a load.

A draft just generally seems to mean something that pulls something towards something else. An artist draws up a vision of a porch-to-be. An ox pulls a low. The lady at St. James pulls me a draft beer and is also a nice person. You follow? :)

labi
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

If you’re going to build it yourself, then buying some graph paper and working out the drawings yourself would be a valuable tool to think through all the details of the construction. If you’re going to hire someone to build it, maybe they’d be a good source of ideas for someone to do the drawings? IIRC, you have to submit drawings to get the building permit.

Of course, maybe you’re talking about illustrative-type drawings rather than construction drawings?

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Manatee said:
    Very cute GR! Thanks for asking :) I am actually pretty knowleageable in architectural styles and drawing.

It’s just the pretentious CCAD version (that’s what my profs taught me). A person who makes drawing is a draughtsperson, a drafter.

Just like a bartender who draws a draft beer. Or a draft animal who pulls a load.

A draft just generally seems to mean something that pulls something towards something else. An artist draws up a vision of a porch-to-be. An ox pulls a low. The lady at St. James pulls me a draft beer and is also a nice person. You follow? :)

it was a serious question about the spelling. I thing draftsperson is equally correct. I’m a draughtsman at the bar though. I think draught is proper in that context. but draft is more common. I mean, no one orders a bud draught, right?

The ‘you’ in sketchup comment was directed at the OP, for design purposes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?