Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

Anyone know what happened on Grandview Ave last night?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Anyone know what happened on Grandview Ave last night?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  buckette13 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

buckette13
    Login to Send PM

We were out and thought about stopping at Aab but Grandview Ave was blocked off from 3rd to 5th at around 9pm. There were a bunch of police cars, firetrucks and paramedics. We didn’t want to add to the obvious commotion so we left the area. Anyone know what happened?

BreakfastwithNick
    BreakfastwithNick
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

RhondaH
    Login to Send PM

It happened in the street in front of Trattoria Roma. We were at Matt the Millers at the time. There are always people running across the street on that strip, often in dark clothing. They should really think about putting in a crosswalk at the alley by the church parking lot.

leftovers
    Login to Send PM

RhondaH said:
    They should really think about putting in a crosswalk at the alley by the church parking lot.

+1 There are a lot of people darting between cars. I think the only marked crossing is at 5th and 3rd.

Usually traffic is pretty slow though, those injuries seem fairly serious – maybe a head injury?

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Crosswalks might help. But really, folks also just need to actually be careful crossing the street even in a marked area, and cars need to take some extra care driving on GV ave.

On that strip I’ve had speeding cars driven by oblivious drivers almost run me down in the crosswalks and had a few people step right out in front of my car at crosswalks without the slightest glance at either the stoplights or the cars. One was actually walking BACKWARDS talking to someone and stepped out when I had the green. Lucky for them I was half expecting it and had slowed to a crawl.

This sort of thing happens everywhere, of course, but in this general area that strip has the most walker density and traffic. Just wish everyone would pay a little more attention in general.

buckette13
    Login to Send PM

leftovers said:
    +1 There are a lot of people darting between cars. I think the only marked crossing is at 5th and 3rd.

I usually find a spot to park on IDA, and there is no way I am walking up to 5th or down to 3rd to cross the street.

People obviously have to pay attention, but it helps a lot if they have well placed areas to cross so that most people (drivers and pedestrians) will know where to look for them. I think inconsistent behavior is the cause of most accidents.

buckette13
    Login to Send PM

I want to add that I think the parking lots next to the Post Office and Aladdins also adds to the problem. There are a lot of cars entering and exiting in the middle of the street and crossing over the sidewalks. Grandview traffic has grown over time, I think if they had to do it again limiting curb cuts would help a lot – maybe feed some of that traffic off of Grandview and exit and enter those lots off of 3rd and Ida.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

A slew of drunks walking across the street doesn’t help the situation either.

catnfiddle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Not necessarily drunk, but probably wearing mental blinders running between car and food because Grandview is considered so safe. It IS safe, as long as everyone agrees to follow the law, which includes jaywalking.

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

I have seen so many car/bike/pedestrian altercations on High St that I am used to it. All I have to add is thankfully the traffic speed is usually fairly slow and the worst that I have seen are a couple broken bones. If you are on a bike, wear a helmet.

columbusmike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

How about a simple brick/cobblestone road to slow people down? No need for fancy crossing signals, lights, signs, or road stripes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?