Our City Online

Messageboard - Music

Any way to avoid PromoWest fees?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Music Any way to avoid PromoWest fees?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  jdd 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

jdd
    Login to Send PM

Few things burn me up as much as ticket fees. I went to see something at the LC a couple of months back, and was yet again blown away by how much buying a ticket online cost, after fees, service charges, etc. So now there’s something coming up at The Basement, and I’d really like to pay as close to the stated “ticket price” as possible. But looking at their site, even to pick it up at the box office costs an extra $3. Is there any way to get a ticket for the actual ticket price?

I’ve never met a single person in the music biz who has anything good to say about TM… yet they continue to thrive.

NerosNeptune
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

buy them at the box office, no ticketmaster fees.

DLDude
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

You can get any ticket to any show at Newport or LC when there is a show playing that night. Still a $3 ‘facility’ fee but I guess it’s better than TM.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

jdd said:
    I’ve never met a single person in the music biz who has anything good to say about TM… yet they continue to thrive.

Talk to the promoters and venue owners with Ticketmaster contracts. They may say they hate the fees, but most of them get a kickback of part of the service fee in exchange for the exclusive Ticketmaster contract.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

avoid corporate rock

misskitty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The best way I have learned to avoid fees and get cheap tickets is by signing up for a Decibel Club[/url] thru promo-West. Its fifty bucks to join and you get four free tickets. After you use your four you reload, again at 50 bucks and get four more free.
    Therefore, it is really like paying 12.50 a ticket they hold them at will call and you get early entry and free shows during the year.
    The only downfall of the club is what shows they give you free tickets too. They only release a certain number of tickets for decibel Club members so you have to check the site pretty often when you hear someone is coming to town you want to see. But I have had really good luck with the shows I want to see being on the list so check it out.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

lazyfish said:
    avoid corporate rock

So that means if you like a band, just don’t like them *too* much. ;)

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    So that means if you like a band, just don’t like them *too* much. ;)

just don’t like Arena Rock and Promo West.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

lazyfish said:

you sound so edgy.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Snarf said:
    you sound so edgy.

old

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

lazyfish said:

There’s a lot of lesser known artists that come through The LC and The Newport.

“Avoid Corporate Rock” sounds like a T-Shirt or Bumper Sticker slogan more than it does worthwhile or relevant advice in this thread.

GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

A wise man once said: “I hate listening to bands. Because if I like the band, that means that at least one person likes the band. And, that is just way too mainstream for me. It annoys me that all these bands are just in it for the money and the fame. A true band would just not play.”

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

GCrites80s said:
    A wise man once said: “I hate listening to bands. Because if I like the band, that means that at least one person likes the band. And, that is just way too mainstream for me. It annoys me that all these bands are just in it for the money and the fame. A true band would just not play.”

Oblig:

jdd
    Login to Send PM

Thanks for the comments, all. The Decibel Club sounds like a pretty decent option — thanks for mentioning it MK!

woofman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’ve had success with the DB club in the past as well, it can pay for itself pretty quick if you get the right shows. New tickets get put on the site every Weds around 3PM, many of the offerings are small shows at the Basement where ticket prices are $15 or less which is a waste of the discount… and the good ones go fast. With patience though you can save a lot on the overall cost of many of the bigger shows PromoWest offers.

If I had a nickel for every nickel I paid in ticket fees over the years…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?