Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Alternative to Time Warner?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Alternative to Time Warner?

This topic contains 143 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by lisathewaitress lisathewaitress 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    Cookie
    Cookie
    Login to Send PM

e8453b wrote >>
    I agree. Wow has excellent service. The channel guide is archaic

Not really digging the DVR either. Is it not possible to stop a program and save where you stopped?

honavery
    Login to Send PM

Uverse has really started upping their game. It was already superior IMO and they are now rolling out the latest stuff, which eventually will see 4 simultaneous HD feeds (I’m at 3 now), and internet speeds up to 25 Mbps. (for a fairly reasonable $65 per month) My picture quality has gotten noticeably better in the last few months as well (read it was due to better mpeg-4 compression on the Uverse forums)

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

you will also be able to use your Xbox 360 with Uverse(for $59 or $99) so could you potentially save on not having a box in the long run.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/23141/ATT-Announces-UVerse-Availability-for-Xbox-360/

Mister Shifter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I love my U-Verse internet. I usually pull faster download than this, but oh well.

Charlie
    Charlie
    Login to Send PM

Anyone know if U-Verse is or coming to Short North/VV area soon? The availability search on ATT site is worthless. I have been dying to leave TW for a long time.

rustbelt
    rustbelt
    Login to Send PM

I’ve been getting a lot of pixelation on time warner lately, mostly on on-demand, it drives me insane.

If you’re talking about severe pixelation that grinds the show to a halt, I’ve had that off & on with TW but always with live sports coverage & nothing else.

My other beefs with TW are the frustratingly non-responsive remote controls & how the box will reboot for no apparent reason & usually at a horrible time, like with 2 minutes left in the game.

Mister Shifter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The straw that broke the camel’s back for me with Time Warner was pixelation. It drove me absolutely nuts. I finally got a tech out to my place to check it out and he basically told me there was nothing they could do about it, as it had to do with the main junction in my area or something.

I dropped TW that week.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Time Warner to test cheaper cable package
    Monday, November 22, 2010
    BY BRIAN STELTER
    THE NEW YORK TIMES

In an apparent attempt to retain cable customers who are thinking of canceling, or to woo back people who have canceled, Time Warner Cable will start a trial of a lower-cost cable subscription package today in New York City and next month in northeastern Ohio.

The package will cost $39.95 a month in New York and $29.95 a month in Ohio, where it starts Dec.15. In New York, the company’s most-common package of cable channels costs almost $75.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2010/11/22/time-warner-to-test-cheaper-cable-package.html?sid=101

tourist19
    tourist19
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I got rid of Time Warner cable two months ago after the last price hike when they wouldn’t cut me any deals and haven’t missed it at all. I just gave my TV away too and haven’t missed it either. Hulu, Netflix and my computer have made cable obsolete.

I just ordered DSL for my new house, 19.95 a month for 6mbps and free wireless router after a rebate. I will never pay Time Warner another cent. Their service sucks, their prices suck, I’m done.

Ricolla
    Login to Send PM

We switched to WOW almost a year ago and I have to say overall I am very happy with them. I always kind of thought they were kind of like the Big K of cable providers but honestly I have never been happier with my cable service.

We get cable (with all the HBO and Starz channels), 2 DVR’s and internet service for about $135 per month. We were getting the movie channels for free and decided for some reason to keep them.

I haven’t had to call WOW customer service once in the time we have had them. When we had TW it was a monthly occurence some times more when we had to make service calls. I didn’t care for their attitude, lack of customer service and general douche bagginess.

I will say the WOW tv guide takes some getting used to- it’s a little old school and I don’t like the whole powering up feature if the TV has been off a day or so. This is just nit picking compared to the crap we went through with TW though.

WOW= happy me.

cc
    cc
    Login to Send PM

Just got a roku and $8 netflix. Keeping internet, bye, bye cable TV. It will cost $30 a month.

Lakee911
    Lakee911
    Login to Send PM

I don’t know what’s so bad about Time Warner. They’ve always been good to me. I’ve been a customer, in some capacity, for about 9 years.

Basic Cable: $19.95 (27 standard channels, and the basic/local digital channels with no cable box).
    Road Runner Standard w/ Power Boost: $24.95 (12mbps download speed, if I recall correctly).
    Package Discount: $5.00.

Total $39.90 + tax. Typical bill is just about $41.

I have a Netflix subscription and use my PS3 and Roku for instant streaming.

Now, if I could just get T-Mobile to come down in price…

Core_Models
    Core_Models
    Login to Send PM

Guy I work with who does the occasional torrent thing woke up this morning to warning windows open on his laptop and desktop that he was violating copyright law and his bandwidth usage (blah blah blah) via Time Warner.

That’d be the end of T/W for me.

th0m
    th0m
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Was at Microcenter the other day making sure I keep receiving their junk mail, and bumped in to the Clear Internet guy … http://www.clear.com/packages … they don’t seem to have a download cap (unless you’re in a 3G only area, which he says is nowhere inside 270 anymore) and I know Sprint offers a comparable WiMAX http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiMAX service. Verizon has one too, “LTE,” but there is a download cap. Obviously these options are more expensive than cable or DSL, but you can be assured to never be without service, err… at least where ever you might be.

honavery
    Login to Send PM

You can get 12 Mbps from TW for $25? Did not know that….

I actually killed my cable (uverse) today. Honestly, it’s the best cable I’ve ever had, and the price wasn’t awful (I could afford it), but I just wasn’t watching it. Watching Netflix(instant and discs), playing video games a ton more. Just basically an NFL box for the last 2 months. My OTA reception is pretty good too (I think they cranked the juice up on that when they went all digital), so I’ll still have that for the few shows I do watch.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?