Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Alternative to Time Warner?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Alternative to Time Warner?

This topic contains 143 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by lisathewaitress lisathewaitress 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    melikecheese
    melikecheese
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I picked up uverse when it came into my hood,

very happy with it. Internet is much faster and I only got the mid level speed package. I download at over a meg and can have 3 xbox360s running call of duty from one connection without issue.

The only downside is the “total home DVR” which is kinda crap. You get one DVR box and while you can record and watch from any TV, you cannot pause live TV on any TV except the main one hooked to the DVR box. The HD box that we had to get on our second TV doesn’t let us pause, kinda sucks.

I like the guide better, the picture quality is better and I can record 4 shows at once, TW used to limit to only 2 which caused headaches around this time of the year.

somertimeoh
    somertimeoh
    Login to Send PM

Core_Models wrote >>
    WOW just added Bravo HD, so they continue to score points with me :D

Isn’t Jeff Lewis in HD just dreamy?!? :)

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

melikecheese wrote >>
    I picked up uverse when it came into my hood,
    very happy with it. Internet is much faster and I only got the mid level speed package. I download at over a meg and can have 3 xbox360s running call of duty from one connection without issue.
    The only downside is the “total home DVR” which is kinda crap. You get one DVR box and while you can record and watch from any TV, you cannot pause live TV on any TV except the main one hooked to the DVR box. The HD box that we had to get on our second TV doesn’t let us pause, kinda sucks.
    I like the guide better, the picture quality is better and I can record 4 shows at once, TW used to limit to only 2 which caused headaches around this time of the year.

I was going to look into uverse, but the door to door sales guy in my area was really pushy and turned me off from it.

Cookie
    Cookie
    Login to Send PM

Daz wrote >>
    WOW is awesome, with the exception of one thing:Their guide system looks like it was written in 85.

I just switched to WOW yesterday, and you aren’t kidding about the guide. Also, the DVR doesn’t seem to have the option to set it to only record new episodes.

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

You can record all New episodes with WOW dvr. click record on the show, then choose all episodes, then choose all new episodes.

the thing I don’t like about the wow dvr is only can record 2 shows while watching a 3rd already dvr’d show. seems like the things I want to watch are all on at the same time.

the other thing that irks me about the WOW dvr is that when you watch a dvr’d show on it, it will cut the last 15-30 sec off the show. so I’m always missing the very last scene punchline of Community(or whatever show you have dvr’d) although if you really want to see it you can go to the TV On Demand to watch full episodes.

We’ll probably switch to ATT when we move.

Cookie
    Cookie
    Login to Send PM

lifeliberty wrote >>
    You can record all New episodes with WOW dvr. click record on the show, then choose all episodes, then choose all new episodes.

Thanks!

the thing I don’t like about the wow dvr is only can record 2 shows while watching a 3rd already dvr’d show. seems like the things I want to watch are all on at the same time.

Time Warner’s DVR was like this too, so I’m used to it.

Mister Shifter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’ve use every carrier extensively and U-Verse blows the competition away. Not even close.

thenakedredhead
    thenakedredhead
    Login to Send PM

I’ve almost exclusively had TW during my adulthood in C-bus, and just last week switched to WOW because they were $10 cheaper and could install next day. The channels are weird, but meh, worth it.

Cookie
    Cookie
    Login to Send PM

thenakedredhead wrote >>
    I’ve almost exclusively had TW during my adulthood in C-bus, and just last week switched to WOW because they were $10 cheaper and could install next day. The channels are weird, but meh, worth it.

I’m saving $15 a month, and the price is guaranteed until 2013 (I was really sick of Time Warner constantly raising my rates.), but I am going to miss Ovation and Logo.

lifeliberty
    lifeliberty
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

WOW is better customer service than TW. the phone is answered quickly and every problem easily handled.

Cookie, fyi, I’ve run into problems with the dvr not recording NEW shows because the WOW guide didn’t have them labeled as NEW. but that only happened a few times.

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I found the timing on WOW’s system to be slightly off – I also had issues with the DVR wacking off shows, or starting them while in progress…

I’ve had Uverse for a while now (almost a year), and while I’ve considered ditching cable all together in fits of cheapness, it’s the been the best out of the bunch. I love that I can watch something another room that is recorded on the DVR in the LR. Also, Uverse seems to automatically start and stop everything with a 3 minute lead, so things are rarely, if ever, cut off.

I seriously love that I can manage the DVR from online, or from my iPhone via the app. Even bigger bonus, ATT just changed the app, so there is now some content that can be watched (like On Demand) thru the phone. There isn’t a huge selection, and it’ll be interesting to see how that evolves.

dirtgirl
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

We’ve had WOW for 5 years and are very happy with it. But we also use Tivos, so we never interact with the guide or the DVR. All I know is that when you have a service problem, someone answers the phone right away (unlike TWC), and if necessary, comes to our house right away (unlike TWC). I’m willing to entertain the idea of AT&T, though I question how good it can be over a copper wire, but will never ever subscribe to Time Warner.

futureman
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

How much are you guys paying for Uverse and what does it include? I can’t seem to select anything because their systems doesn’t recognize my address.

Right now I’m paying around ~$130 for a HD DVR, second HD box, road runner turbo (15-20mb?) and no phone. I’m getting very tired of the boxes freezing and rebooting and the Uverse DVR sounds great as well.

stoneschick84
    Login to Send PM

We just signed up for UVerse and we’ll be paying $114 for two cable boxes with DVRs, HBO and Showtime, and high-speed internet (not sure what speed, but we’ve been happy with it so far). We switched from TWC and are really happy with UVerse; the entire system is wayyy more user-friendly.

christin
    christin
    Login to Send PM

When Time Warner started quarantining my internet I decided to switch. Apparently my internet connection was being used to download content that the MPAA didn’t want to share–my wifi was admittedly unsecured, I’ve had awful results with trying to put a password on the router. One day a “letter” popped up in Firefox and basically told me to call customer service and acknowledge the infraction before they would remove the service block. I didn’t do anything wrong but because it was done on my router and therefore my IP, I was susceptible to legal action.

Piracy debates aside, any ISP having that much authority to literally block my browser from working is not kosher with me. I switched to WOW when we moved to MV and haven’t looked back.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?