Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Aerial gondolas as mass transit option?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Aerial gondolas as mass transit option?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  geoyui 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m not sure if this is the best option/middle ground between buses and light/commuter rail, but I like how a system like this could fit within the dynamics of Columbus. Financially seems more feasible, less hassle with land, and the system can adapt based on ridership levels.

A Mass-Transit Proposal To Connect A City Using Aerial Gondolas

Pablo
    Pablo
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
    Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

We already have something like that in Columbus. A way to glide over the teeming masses of humanity. First built in 1969, then expanded in 1984.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

geoyui said:
    I’m not sure if this is the best option/middle ground between buses and light/commuter rail, but I like how a system like this could fit within the dynamics of Columbus. Financially seems more feasible, less hassle with land, and the system can adapt based on ridership levels.

A Mass-Transit Proposal To Connect A City Using Aerial Gondolas

An interesting proposal, but is it feasible? Usually non-entertainment gondolas are reserved for getting people through terrain that is tougher to navigate… waterways, mountains, etc. Columbus doesn’t really have a problem with those things.

bayrea
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:
    An interesting proposal, but is it feasible? Usually non-entertainment gondolas are reserved for getting people through terrain that is tougher to navigate… waterways, mountains, etc. Columbus doesn’t really have a problem with those things.

Plus they are very prone to Green Goblin attacks..

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker said:

I think that’s what is appealing, it is certainly unorthodox when referencing it as “mass transit”. The article answers some of the challenges that opponents to any sort of train solution pose here in Cbus: ridership, costs and land. That in itself makes it more feasible IMO.

Here’s an article by wired that briefly mentions cost:[/url]

It just so happened that McDaniel and Ficklin’s home city had just debated whether to install a little more than five miles of light rail at a cost of $550 million – around $100 million per mile.

“Putting in an aerial ropeway, we’re talking a fraction of that,” McDaniel said. “A gondola can be put in for $12 million a mile. It’s a fraction of the cost because you’re not looking at eminent domain or rights of way, and you’re not disrupting local businesses or cutting out vehicular traffic.”

And here is a listing of CPT (Cable propelled transit) projects being developed worldwide.[/url]

bjones7
    bjones7
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

If you can connect the North part of town (up to Polaris) to Downtown, with a commute faster than 71 & 315 during rush hour, any transit option would spark the majority of share holders interest. Cough..commuter rail..Cough..

If we were thinking of using a gondola for downtown, then something like the PEOPLE MOVER in Detroit would work better. Or any other type of tram. Even a COTA bus that traveled within downtown would work better.

Great concept, but would it work for Columbus, I personally would say no.

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

bjones7 said:
    If you can connect the North part of town (up to Polaris) to Downtown, with a commute faster than 71 & 315 during rush hour, any transit option would spark the majority of share holders interest. Cough..commuter rail..Cough..

If we were thinking of using a gondola for downtown, then something like the PEOPLE MOVER in Detroit would work better. Or any other type of tram. Even a COTA bus that traveled within downtown would work better.

Great concept, but would it work for Columbus, I personally would say no.

I think the problem that a tram or the People Mover in detroit would raise are the same issues that commuter train would, land and costs. Columbus would still need to purchase land and decide if a $100 million per mile of track is worth it. Gondolas, no matter how odd, seem to provide a decent/middle ground solution for the issues that plague train discussions.

I will say that this type of system (I assume) may be best suited for within the 270 belt. I can imagine lines that run between Clintonville, Bexley, Merion Village, Westgate and downtown.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Pneumatic tubes

Anything less is half as cool

Navin R Johnson
    Login to Send PM

I’m sorry, I thought the title said Areola Gondolas as mass transit option.

Carry on….

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
    bjones7
    bjones7
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

geoyui said:
    I think the problem that a tram or the People Mover in detroit would raise are the same issues that commuter train would, land and costs. Columbus would still need to purchase land and decide if a $100 million per mile of track is worth it. Gondolas, no matter how odd, seem to provide a decent/middle ground solution for the issues that plague train discussions.

I will say that this type of system (I assume) may be best suited for within the 270 belt. I can imagine lines that run between Clintonville, Bexley, Merion Village, Westgate and downtown.

At what 20mph? Count me out

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

bjones7 said:
    At what 20mph? Count me out

I agree, I think that’s why it would be limited to more the central core. Based on what I’ve read, one of the benefits when it comes to time is that there will be a gondola that comes around at a much more frequent rate at a stop then a train would. A gondola could come every 30 secs/minute, but a train maybe every 5+ minutes? And gondolas could be added/removed based on traffic patterns. It’s not a solution for everyone and everywhere, but I think it could fit Columbus’ needs.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?