Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

AEP - Updates, News and Discussions

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion AEP – Updates, News and Discussions

This topic contains 43 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Caleb Caleb 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

DavidF said:
    It’s an estimate. Which makes it even more inexplicable. My next actual read is 9/5 so hopefully this will correct itself out. This is the highest usage I’ve ever had here by over 600 kwh. All the other high usage periods were in the winter of 2011. A jump of over 1300 kwh over the last period is just ridiculous.

Actually – an estimate would make it more likely to have such a crazy jump. They are probably assuming your usage would spike tremendously in comparison to last year (after all, they don’t know you put in new windows).

I usually try to keep mine (both electric and gas) pretty true’d up by self-reporting. This way, no surprises. (That, and I do budget billing, cause NO SURPRISES.)

Jman4ever
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

DavidF said:
    It’s an estimate. Which makes it even more inexplicable. My next actual read is 9/5 so hopefully this will correct itself out. This is the highest usage I’ve ever had here by over 600 kwh. All the other high usage periods were in the winter of 2011. A jump of over 1300 kwh over the last period is just ridiculous.

It certainly seems high, but here is my best guess for you.

First consider what Twixlen said.

Second, I would bet that there are more days in this billing period than last. Add that to an estimated higher usage rate and there you go.

It *should* true up next month when they take an actual read.

I don’t know how AEP does it, but I assume they do something like look at total usage increase for residential service for the area and apply that rate to your bill to come up with an estimated usage for the month. i.e. if Columbus as a whole is up 20% in usage this month, they apply that increase to everyone.

Add a few more days in the billing cycle at the higher estimated rate of usage and you can see a spike.

It also can’t hurt to have the system checked out as well of course.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

A friend of mine who does HVAC installs gave me this advice:

Every year go out and make sure all the coils are clean. Give them a good hosing off to make sure they’re not all dirty, and if you can, take the cover off and hose from the INSIDE OUT.

Make sure your blower filter is changed regularly. Impeding the airflow is a huge problem. he also has advised me to replace my old blower with a new higher flow model to really get the air moving, which I intend to do next time he’s in town.

Make sure none of the ducts are leaking too much and just blowing all the air into the basement.

After you’ve had the system checked out and topped off, stick a meat thermometer in one of the vents while its running the AC. Let it run for a few minutes and see what temperature the air is coming out the vent. Write that down and keep it somewhere. Then any time you want to check the performance of the system you can measure the temperature and compare to what it SHOULD be and see if it’s not performing up to par. If it has lost coolant pressure it may still “feel” cool coming out the vent, but it’s not ACTUALLY cool. When mine blew a gasket this summer (3 days after having a new compressor put in) it was the 15 degree difference in that temperature that clued me in something was terribly wrong even though it still felt cool. I got it fixed fast.

DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Good advice RMM. We’ve cleaned the coils this summer and we swap out the filters on a regular basis. I’m going to contact the landlord about about getting the unit checked out, though after just spending 3k on new windows, I’m sure she’s not gonna be super excited about potential A/C repairs.

evantyler
    evantyler
    Login to Send PM

My AEP bill was up by 70% this month over last month. Gonna take some of the advice already shared to see if I can figure out what’s up, if anything. (It *has* been a miserable hot stretch lately, and I’m sure my A/C is working overtime.)

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

July heat brings bigger power bills
    Aug. 8, 2012
    Written by
    Russ Zimmer
    CentralOhio.com

Try not to blow a fuse when you open your electricity bill. Chances are it’s going to be much higher than what you’re used to. Utility companies and the state regulator say it’s likely a result of increased air conditioning usage during the extreme heat in July and not from any significant new charges. Certainly none that would account for the $389 balance that Austin Gearheart saw when he opened his American Electric Power bill for July.

READ MORE: http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20120808/NEWS01/208080303

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Another competitor enters the market. Anyone have a provider other then AEP?

Dominion enters the market

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

geoyui said:
    Another competitor enters the market. Anyone have a provider other then AEP?

yes and my bill is still lower (per kwh) than it was even with this new stupid “stability charge” bullshit, but I guess the CEO needed a new wing built on his house.

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Rockmastermike said:
    yes and my bill is still lower (per kwh) than it was even with this new stupid “stability charge” bullshit, but I guess the CEO needed a new wing built on his house.

Rockmastermike, mind I ask who your provider is and what your rate is?

GW_Justice
    GW_Justice
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Here is the direct link to the PUCO “apples to apples” page for electric providers:

http://www.puco.ohio.gov/puco/index.cfm/apples-to-apples/aep-electric-apples-to-apples-chart/

That Dominion rate is pretty good. I just hate the name of the company, it sounds like a tea-bagging plot to take over the government and let the preachers rule (Dominionism).

Twixlen
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Dominion used to be Virginia Power & LIght, back in the day, so the name does indeed have some historical context.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

geoyui said:
    Rockmastermike, mind I ask who your provider is and what your rate is?

I’m dealing with Duke now.

My effective rate is currently 12.8cents/kwh with all the bullshit fees included. My last bill with AEP was 15.7cents/kwh with all the bullshit fees included. (just calculated these by dividing the total bill by the kwh from this months bill and the last AEP-only bill that I have on file)

be warned the switch took a month longer than it should have. Which ticked me off pretty good but I guess AEP had to bend me over just one last time.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

AEP To Pay $8.5 Million, Stop Burning Coal At Three Plants
    February 25, 2013
    by Steve Brown
    89.7 NPR News Morning Anchor

Columbus-based American Electric Power will pay $8.5 million and stop burning coal at three power plants by 2015. The changes are part of a revision to a 2007 settlement between AEP, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and several environmental groups.

READ MORE: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2013/02/25/aep-to-pay-8-5-million-stop-burning-coal-at-three-plants/

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

AEP Ohio says reliability much improved, but still below goal for fixing outages
    Jeff Bell | Columbus Business First

The Ohio unit of American Electric Power Company Inc. (NYSE:AEP) says it improved its service reliability by 20 percent last year, although customers left in the dark by major power outages will have a hard time taking comfort in that.

AEP Ohio cited that improvement rate in its annual reliability standards filing with the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio. The company said the 20 percent improvement rate is for the number of outages and minutes of interruption in electric service.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2013/04/02/aep-says-reliability-much-improved.html

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

America’s 20 Worst Corporate Air Polluters
    ENERGY | 6/10/2013 @ 4:18PM

It’s no surprise that the biggest emitters of carbon dioxide in the United States are coal-burning power generators. The Political Economy Research Institute at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst has released a new list, based on 2011 data, of the top 100 emitters of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases.

The top three polluters are American Electric Power, Duke Energy and Southern Company. AEP emits the equivalent of 130 million metric tons of carbon dioxide per year, accounting for about 2% of the annual total, with Duke at 127 million tons and Southern Co. at 118 million.

READ MORE: http://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman/2013/06/10/americas-20-worst-corporate-air-polluters/

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?