Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

5th Avenue Dam Removal - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 5th Avenue Dam Removal – News & Updates

This topic contains 328 replies, has 60 voices, and was last updated by Alex Silbajoris Alex Silbajoris 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 329 total)
  • Author

James
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

surber17 said:
    How much has the water level dropped? Have they found anything interesting that was sunk?

I saw a couple of bicycles in the mud flats just south of the Woody Hayes bridge. And a Bus Stop.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

howatzer said:
    All I want to know is: Will my dog be able to swim in the river without getting sick?

water quality will likely improve, not degrade. less stagnation, fewer beavers (yeah, I said it), and a removal of impounded sediment.

i think your dog can hack it.

Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

surber17 said:
    updated picture from upstream:

https://twitter.com/myurbanhood/status/243758476948553728/photo/1/large

Looks like what I imagine the Ankh river looks like in Ankh-Morpork.

Corrin Radd
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Graybeak said:
    Looks like what I imagine the Ankh river looks like in Ankh-Morpork.

Taking a dump in the river would actually make it cleaner.

goldenidea
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Just curious… Has this kind of dam removal project been done on any other similar streams and settings before, here in the midwest, or are we blazing an new trail here?

I’ve read some of the background info posted here and elsewhere on what’s being planned (thanks to those providing such info). I’m curious how we know what the stream geometry and dynamics will be once it re-equilibrates (i.e. it’s width, depth, degree of meandering, degree of intermitentness(?), etc.). Will the “new” stream channel be allowed to develop naturally and if so is that geometry being forcasted using a hydrologic model? Or will the new channel be engineered (i.e. cut with a backhoe and controlled by upstream discharge rates, or whatever)? Or perhaps it will be partly natural and partly engineered?

Realizing this is one of the objectives: we’re sure going to gain a lot of accessable land. OTOH, we’re going to lose a lot of water.

I’m going run and take a look to see if the heavy rain we got early this morning had any impact.

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Corrin Radd said:
    Taking a dump in the river would actually make it cleaner.

This town just loves to think of its rivers as nothing more than dead shitholes.

On a brighter note, the gauge at Wilson Bridge is at 200 CFS and climbing fast. They’re only letting 30 CFS through the dam and they can’t control anything below that point on the river. Since there’s about 8 feet of new drop between 5th and Dodridge, there should be a vigorous stream digging new channel through that exposed muck. It should be like a giant version of a stream table in a geology lab.

goldenidea
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Not surprising, there’s a lot more water between King and 5th than there was yesterday evening. I’d say at least 70-75% of the old channel is submerged at the moment. In places where outfalls are traversing what’s now floodplain or mudflats, you can see stream digging action underway.

This happened to be the first time I’ve set two feet on the OT in many years & thousands of miles. On occasion, perhaps bikers ought to walk the trail and walkers ought to bike the trail just to get a better perspective of what it’s like for each group.

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I thought I’d go down there today but when I saw people waving signs saying PARKING $10 I remembered the game. Maybe tomorrow morning.

Analogue Kid
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

goldenidea said:
    Just curious… Has this kind of dam removal project been done on any other similar streams and settings before, here in the midwest, or are we blazing an new trail here?

I’ve read some of the background info posted here and elsewhere on what’s being planned (thanks to those providing such info). I’m curious how we know what the stream geometry and dynamics will be once it re-equilibrates (i.e. it’s width, depth, degree of meandering, degree of intermitentness(?), etc.). Will the “new” stream channel be allowed to develop naturally and if so is that geometry being forcasted using a hydrologic model? Or will the new channel be engineered (i.e. cut with a backhoe and controlled by upstream discharge rates, or whatever)? Or perhaps it will be partly natural and partly engineered?

This kind of project has been done many times with great success. Check this out: http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/23109/Default.aspx

goldenidea
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

This kind of project has been done many times with great success. Check this out: http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/23109/Default.aspx

Thanks! It’s enlightening to see photos of the process and outcome from similar projects. So the 5th Ave project may not create a destination type park like Antrim Lake, rather it will create more natural land and wetland that may or may not be accessible to hikers, waders or small watercraft, depending on the natural state of the steam at any given time. It will be more like OSU’s wetlands area than a heavily visited park like Antrim.

howatzer
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

This project does seem unprecedented for the region in terms of the amount of work that will go into post-removal, such as landscaping, riverscaping, park building, etc.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

howatzer said:
    All I want to know is: Will my dog be able to swim in the river without getting sick?

probably not, the muds are loaded with all sorts of mystery crap and probably a good deal of PCB’s from the old OSU power plant and the Lennox plant, god only knows what the OSU and Battelle Nuke plants put into the river/sediments…

Too bad the city can’t let the river do its own thing, a lot of cash could be saved by letting nature reclaim the area.

I ran into Dr. Mitsch from the OSU wetlands center, was surprised to hear he is retiring from OSU and off to Florida to work in the everglades…he said the river would do a better job repairing the floodplain.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

lazyfish said:
    probably not, the muds are loaded with all sorts of mystery crap and probably a good deal of PCB’s from the old OSU power plant and the Lennox plant, god only knows what the OSU and Battelle Nuke plants put into the river/sediments…

Too bad the city can’t let the river do its own thing, a lot of cash could be saved by letting nature reclaim the area.

I ran into Dr. Mitsch from the OSU wetlands center, was surprised to hear he is retiring from OSU and off to Florida to work in the everglades…he said the river would do a better job repairing the floodplain.

the sediment upstream and downstream of the dam, as well as soil cores to 20 feet and ground water was sampled for environmental hazards several years ago as part of the planning for this project. IIRC nothing of note was found.

As was said previously, the stagnant water was more of a health hazard, and even that was really not as much of a problem as the drowning hazard from the dam itself.

I agree letting the river sort itself out after a few good floods would be a good way of dealing with it. That way it can do what it needs to do. On the other hand I can see how building in some deep pools and muddy wetlands that it might not do quickly on its own would probably hasten improved habitat diversity a little faster than natural processes.

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Ghosts of Columbus Past: the cyclotron built into the levee north of the student union

On the other side of campus, on Cannon Drive, an abandoned, ivy-covered building used to be the pride of OSU.

Formerly known as the Cyclotron Building, it used to hold a mini-particle accelerator and was connected to the neighboring building by an underground tunnel, according to the John H. Herrick Archives. The building now remains unlabeled.

“That was something that was once fancy and very high-tech and the pride of the university, and now it’s overgrown and abandoned, and no one even knows what it is,” said Joshua Cain, a former employee of Facilities Operations and Development at OSU.

The Cyclotron

During the summers from 1955 on, for several years, Mike went to Columbus, to take regular 4th quarter courses for a master’s degree in nuclear physics. There was interest at that time in the effect of radiation on iron, in case the reactor vessels of steel, in submarines and on land, might lose their strength and explode. Mike was directed to irradiate iron powder and to identify the decay scheme of the resulting radioactive material, so that the theoretical model of the iron atom could be determined and its departure from the familiar steel product determined.

To bombard the iron powder into radioactive material, Ohio State University had an “atom smasher” called a cyclotron. A separate block house had been constructed by the Olentangy River to house the 20-ton instrument. So much power was consumed at maximum bombardment that some experiments could only be carried out at night because much of the campus power had to be borrowed to satisfy the atom smasher. Mike was fascinated by the facility, but was also mystified by the mysterious workings in the apparatus.

http://sjhrc.org/fab50s.html

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The cota bus stop is a nice addition lol

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 329 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?