Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

3C Passenger Rail Project - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation 3C Passenger Rail Project – News & Updates

This topic contains 1147 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by jawjack187 jawjack187 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 796 through 810 (of 1,160 total)
  • Author

GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
    deraj1013
    deraj1013
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

From the Dispatch…

Feds unlikely to let Ohio divert rail money
    Gov.-elect Kasich meets with Obama but has little hope

By Jack Torry and Mark Niquette

WASHINGTON – Following meetings yesterday with President Barack Obama and his advisers, Gov.-elect John Kasich acknowledged that he does not expect the administration to allow Ohio to divert $400 million in passenger rail money to rebuild freight rail lines in the state.

Read more

GCrites80s
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

It looks like Ohio is getting $400 million in education money (“Race to the Top” grants that are mentioned in the article above) that was supposed to go to New Jersey because they weren’t going to use it for what the Feds intended. The money can only be used for education purposes that the Feds specified, so when New Jersey messed up we got their money to use for education here. The Federal government is not afraid to enforce its policies when it comes to disbursements.

bjones7
    bjones7
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Interesting article! Sounds like if the Feds say no to Kasich and that Ohio has to use the money or give it up, Kasich might use the money for passenger rail.

johnwirtz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Kasich said he “made it clear to them that I want to use the money for freight rail.”

But in a session with reporters from Ohio newspapers, Kasich said he doubts the administration will allow the state to use the $400million in economic stimulus money for anything other than high-speed rail.

Does he know that the 3C line is also supposed to improve freight operations?

chucky
    Login to Send PM

John has 4 seperate options on the table :

A – continue to push for using the money for rebuilding bridges in the state.

B – use the rail money to upgrade freight traffic

c – use the money to work with Indiana and Pennsylvania on the daylight faster Pittsburgh to Chicago service

D – Renege on his vow to kill the 3C

artzymorena
    artzymorena
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

berdawn wrote >>

johnwirtz wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>
    ^caps lock post OF the YEAR?? ??? ?

+1. It’s too annoying to read.

oh no it’s NOT. You’re just not happy with the CONTENT and so you’re CHOOSING to find something about which you can QUIBBLE. what’s next, simply DISMISSING someone because of SPELLING? or even PUNCTUATION?

Agreed! I am fairly new to CU, but I have noticed that people tend to pick out one small part of a reply, or an annoyance, and argue against that. Of course, when they have nothing better to say.

Kyle Schriner
    Kyle Schriner
    Login to Send PM

3C Body Shop, the finest in collision repairs

chucky
    Login to Send PM

Why would Indiana apply for high speed rail money from Chicago to Cleveland if Ohio wasn’t going to be on the other end ?

Does that make sense ?

That would be like building a four lane freeway that stops at the border of Ohio and empties into a cornfield.

http://www.ibj.com/federal-highspeed-rail-grants-exclude-big-indiana-proposal/PARAMS/article/16061

Core_Models
    Core_Models
    Login to Send PM

Are you confused by the definition of the word “exclude”? Even if your theory had merit, the funds being denied pretty much put an end to it.

thepiece
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

[i]chucky wrote
    c – use the money to work with Indiana and Pennsylvania on the daylight faster Pittsburgh to Chicago service
    D – Renege on his vow to kill the 3C[/i]

Not sure where your drawing these conclusions, your last option is the only option. You can’t use money specified for one purpose in a competitive grant to do something radically different. End of story.

I believe Barack has expressed his opinion on this already.
    …is referring to a politician by first name an attempt to appear well connected?

chucky
    Login to Send PM

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2010/11/george_voinovich_trying_high-s.html

thepiece wrote >>

[i]chucky wrote
    D – Renege on his vow to kill the 3C[/i]

Not sure where your drawing these conclusions, your last option is the only option. You can’t use money specified for one purpose in a competitive grant to do something radically different. End of story.
    I believe Barack has expressed his opinion on this already.
    …is referring to a politician by first name an attempt to appear well connected?

thepiece
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Yes, the article sums it up well…in the 3rd paragraph….

The bill by Sen. George Voinovich, who’s retiring at the end of the month, faces long odds. It has no cosponsors and in fact has opposition from Ohio’s other senator, Sherrod Brown. Congress will only be in session for a few more weeks at most, and its agenda is already crowded.

Otherwise described as a snow balls chance in hell.
    They also forgot to mention that it would probably get vetoed as soon as it hits the President’s desk…

chucky
    Login to Send PM

In this political climate anything is possible.

thepiece wrote >>
    Yes, the article sums it up well…in the 3rd paragraph….
    The bill by Sen. George Voinovich, who’s retiring at the end of the month, faces long odds. It has no cosponsors and in fact has opposition from Ohio’s other senator, Sherrod Brown. Congress will only be in session for a few more weeks at most, and its agenda is already crowded.
    Otherwise described as a snow balls chance in hell.
    They also forgot to mention that it would probably get vetoed as soon as it hits the President’s desk…

chucky
    Login to Send PM

Former Governor Thompson of Wisconsin was successful in using rail money converted back over to rebuild bridges in the state.

It has happened before…

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9I75DUG0.htm

Thompson broke the rules under welfare guidlines and shook things up for the entire nation.

http://www.journaltimes.com/news/opinion/editorial/article_f9428c0c-f4ff-11df-8457-001cc4c002e0.html

Viewing 15 posts - 796 through 810 (of 1,160 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?