Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

3C Passenger Rail Project - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation 3C Passenger Rail Project – News & Updates

This topic contains 1147 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by jawjack187 jawjack187 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 1,160 total)
  • Author
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

How do you haul around all the shit you buy when you go to visit a city for a weekend?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Snarf wrote >>
    How do you haul around all the shit you buy when you go to visit a city for a weekend?

That question was already addressed:

somertimeoh wrote >>
    I think people have to stop looking at public mass trans as the be all end all to everyone’s transportation needs.

Lakee911
    Lakee911
    Login to Send PM

Snarf wrote >>

When you have a gun in your hand there are lots of options. :)

somertimeoh
    somertimeoh
    Login to Send PM

I can’t tell if people here just haven’t been exposed to much public trans and that’s why they don’t understand it, if it’s just being contrary for the sake of being contrary.

I can definitely see this scenario for myself a few times a year – take train to Cleveland after work on Friday. Check in to hotel (last April Angel and I stayed at the Doubletree downtown for less than $50, cheap!), dinner and drinks downtown. Saturday hit an Indians or Cavs game. Train home after game (no one has to stay sober and everyone can pass out!!). Or go down Sat and do Browns game on Sunday. If they are smart and worked with the cities event calendars, do a same day out and back to go to a baseball or football game. Insert all kinds of other activities though – concert, theater event, etc. Am I just crazy? This all seems absolutely reasonable. Add in a shuttle to venues outside of downtown like Blossom and you’ve got some real options for travel.

Talcott
    Talcott
    Login to Send PM

somertimeoh wrote >>
    I can’t tell if people here just haven’t been exposed to much public trans and that’s why they don’t understand it, if it’s just being contrary for the sake of being contrary.
    I can definitely see this scenario for myself a few times a year – take train to Cleveland after work on Friday. Check in to hotel (last April Angel and I stayed at the Doubletree downtown for less than $50, cheap!), dinner and drinks downtown. Saturday hit an Indians or Cavs game. Train home after game (no one has to stay sober and everyone can pass out!!). Or go down Sat and do Browns game on Sunday. If they are smart and worked with the cities event calendars, do a same day out and back to go to a baseball or football game. Insert all kinds of other activities though – concert, theater event, etc. Am I just crazy? This all seems absolutely reasonable. Add in a shuttle to venues outside of downtown like Blossom and you’ve got some real options for travel.

Not to mention there are plenty of people who just aren’t that fond of driving. I’d much rather spend three hours reading, writing, or drawing than I would two hours driving. Depending on how the seats were designed, families (or groups of four) could sit facing each other and play board games on the trip. I don’t think that the 3C project would serve as commuter rail (for most people) but it would be great as a tourism engine. I haven’t been up to Cleveland in years, and I don’t have any real plans to drive up there now, but if I could take the train up there for a weekend (or even for a day) I’d do it in a heart beat.

agtw31
    agtw31
    Login to Send PM

local rail is the answer,not statewide.

that’s the mistake that’s being made,and Strickland has to know this.

if you want to go to Cleveland or Cinci,and you don’t own a car,do what folks have been doing for more than 50 years.

jump on a frigging Greyhound bus.

somertimeoh
    somertimeoh
    Login to Send PM

There’s even less support for local rail. So now what?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

somertimeoh wrote >>

unicorns?

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

agtw31 wrote >>
    do what folks have been doing for more than 50 years.

why not keep going and look back 150 years? I’d love to take a pony to cleveland.

your version of future planning is weird.

somertimeoh
    somertimeoh
    Login to Send PM

Snarf wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>

unicorns?

As long as they travel on glittery clouds I’m all over it!!

tree_sketcher
    Login to Send PM

agtw31 wrote >>
    local rail is the answer,not statewide.
    that’s the mistake that’s being made,and Strickland has to know this.
    if you want to go to Cleveland or Cinci,and you don’t own a car,do what folks have been doing for more than 50 years.
    jump on a frigging Greyhound bus.

What happened when the interstate highway system was built? Cross-country travel became faster and more efficient, but so did local commuting. The same can happen with the 3C – local, more frequent commuter lines will eventually be a part of the system, just like the NE corridor, Chicago Metra, etc. Again, this is step one.

surber17
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Central City Recording wrote >>
    I’m about fucking done with the lack of forward thinking in this town. We are now WAY behind the ball on rail transit of all kinds – local, regional, high speed or not. People squash ideas because they’re not big enough, people squash ideas because they’re too big. Seriously, if the powers that be don’t get this right (transit) EVERYTHING else going on in this city if FOR NOT.
    ETA – I see the 3C as a start, not an end, and if we continue to be afraid or unwilling to start something around here, we will never finish anything.

+1 … the bickering in this state is ridiculous and which is why the world is passing us by. I tried doing a bit googling to see if a train was ever built that failed (a train going out of commission due to old technology doesn’t count) and couldn’t find one. Prove to me that people won’t ride it and I’m on board, but as of now all I see is evidence that people like to ride trains.

Also, the proof has to be from after the train was built.

johnwirtz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

jawjack187 wrote >>
    I think we have to be realistic. I would love to take a train to Cleveland, but if it does not cut down on my travel time, I will take my car. It is that simple, and I think there are alot of people who also feel that way.

I’m sure the majority of people feel that way, but there’s also a significant minority of people who do not have the choice to take a car or prefer not to so they can use their travel time more productively. I don’t get the whole “if I won’t use it then it must suck” mindset.

10sun
    10sun
    Login to Send PM

surber17 wrote >>

Central City Recording wrote >>
    I’m about fucking done with the lack of forward thinking in this town. We are now WAY behind the ball on rail transit of all kinds – local, regional, high speed or not. People squash ideas because they’re not big enough, people squash ideas because they’re too big. Seriously, if the powers that be don’t get this right (transit) EVERYTHING else going on in this city if FOR NOT.
    ETA – I see the 3C as a start, not an end, and if we continue to be afraid or unwilling to start something around here, we will never finish anything.

+1 … the bickering in this state is ridiculous and which is why the world is passing us by. I tried doing a bit googling to see if a train was ever built that failed (a train going out of commission due to old technology doesn’t count) and couldn’t find one. Prove to me that people won’t ride it and I’m on board, but as of now all I see is evidence that people like to ride trains.
    Also, the proof has to be from after the train was built.

Orient Express went under.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121365224&live=1

This was after over a century though.

jawjack187
    jawjack187
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote >>

jawjack187 wrote >>
    I think we have to be realistic. I would love to take a train to Cleveland, but if it does not cut down on my travel time, I will take my car. It is that simple, and I think there are alot of people who also feel that way.

How about the people who don’t own cars? Or can’t drive? Do they agree with you?

I said a lot, not all. Those who have no personal vehicle, well how do they get around currently? Bus, rent a car? Catch a ride, take a flight. I understand we all want to get started. I just have a disagreement on what to get started on. “High Drag rail” is not attractive for the future. I think it would get built, people would not ride it in large numbers, and folks would say, “See, there’s the reason we don’t need high speed.” We need HIGH SPEED RAIL now! Not just rail, but high speed. It is the only way.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 1,160 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?