Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Two New Five-Story Apartment Buildings at Neighborhood Launch

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Two New Five-Story Apartment Buildings at Neighborhood Launch

This topic contains 139 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  mike0878 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 140 total)
  • Author

Pro Se
    Participant

From the agenda of the upcoming Downtown Commission meeting:

V. Conceptual Review for New Construction (Two five story apartments)

Case #2 559-12

Address: 245 – 277 East Long Street

Applicant: Gay Street Condominium

Property Owner: Gay Street Condominium

Design Professional: Brian Kent Jones Architects

Zoning: DD (No Sub-District)

Request CC3359.27(D)3)

Conceptual review for the new construction for two five story buildings, each building with 130 units and approximately 82 underground parking spaces. There will also be two nearby off street parking lots.

The Gay Street Condominium Plan (245-07) was first presented to the Commission in 2007, including the master plan. 2007 (see attached photographs). In September 2011(531-11) the Commission approved the demolition of two AT&T garage buildings on the site of the eastern most proposed apartment.

futureman
    Participant

is this a part of Neighborhood Launch?

Pro Se
    Participant

Would certainly seem so in light of the 2007 mention and reference to Gay Street Condos. If so, I am glad to see they are going denser with the project.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Nice. So this is the SE corner lot at Fourth and Long Street, adjacent to Telhio.

Google streetview image:

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pro Se said:
    Would certainly seem so in light of the 2007 mention and reference to Gay Street Condos. If so, I am glad to see they are going denser with the project.

They’ve been talking about a five-story building in the project for at least two years now, though they never gave a timeline or a location for it. From an interview with Jeff Edwards in March 2010:

We also have plans to build a five-story building over a half-underground one-level parking deck. That product type we’ve looked at because our one-bedroom sales generally out-pace our two-bedroom or townhouse sales, which I think they probably will continue to do long term. In that building, 24 out of 28 units are one-bedroom and the other 4 are two-bedrooms. Our idea is to always have one-bedroom units available at the same time we have the town houses available. Otherwise, if we don’t, we have to stop and let the townhouses sell, before moving forward with construction on the next phases. So the idea is to always have a product mix.

MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/whats-new-at-neighborhood-launch-in-2010

futureman
    Participant

Walker said:
    Nice. So this is the SE corner lot at Fourth and Long Street, adjacent to Telhio.

Google streetview image:

Unless something has changed, I don’t think Neighborhood Launch owns this lot per the site plan –

And to confirm it is Neighborhood Launch. I checked the auditor site and the other unsold properties that are a part of Neighborhood Launch are owned by “GAY STREET CONDOMINIUM”

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Walker said:
    They’ve been talking about a five-story building in the project for at least two years now, though they never gave a timeline or a location for it. From an interview with Jeff Edwards in March 2010:

We also have plans to build a five-story building over a half-underground one-level parking deck. That product type we’ve looked at because our one-bedroom sales generally out-pace our two-bedroom or townhouse sales, which I think they probably will continue to do long term. In that building, 24 out of 28 units are one-bedroom and the other 4 are two-bedrooms. Our idea is to always have one-bedroom units available at the same time we have the town houses available. Otherwise, if we don’t, we have to stop and let the townhouses sell, before moving forward with construction on the next phases. So the idea is to always have a product mix.

MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/whats-new-at-neighborhood-launch-in-2010

260 Units added to the area is a significant number! Plus the units recently added with the Abigail and planned with the DD Commons.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

futureman said:
    Unless something has changed, I don’t think Neighborhood Launch owns this lot per the site plan

Yeah, according to the auditor’s site, it’s been owned by “BENUA HEIRS PARTNERSHIP” since 1962.

http://www.franklincountyoh.metacama.com/do/searchByParcelId?taxDistrict=010&parcelNbr=038141&suffix=00

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

futureman said:
    Unless something has changed, I don’t think Neighborhood Launch owns this lot per the site plan

Hrm. Perhaps Google Maps gave me the wrong address then…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, Google Maps is giving funky addresses. Looks like this is actually the SE lot at Fifth and Long, not Fourth:

futureman
    Participant

Hmmm that is strange. If you use Bing maps it’ll pull up the correct locations. It looks like it is referring to both this lot (245) and the one next to it bordering the faith mission (277). The surface lot at 277 also matches up with the description of having two garages currently on the property that will be demolished.

From the Auditor Site for E 277 Long St

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

Cool, can always use more downtown housing.

futureman
    Participant

Pro Se said:

I recall seeing that Neighboorhood Launch was to have a total of 265 units over the entire 7 acres. At 260 units for just these two building, it just got a great deal more dense.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

futureman said:
    I recall seeing that Neighboorhood Launch was to have a total of 265 units over the entire 7 acres. At 260 units for just these two building, it just got a great deal more dense.

So there going to build more in that 7 acres?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    So there going to build more in that 7 acres?

Yes. Here’s a map of the overall development siteplan. The yellow highlighted part is what has been built. The rest is future development for the rest of the site (which in the short term is being used as parking lots):

http://www.columbusunderground.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/nl-map-feb-2012.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 140 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.