Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

Micro-Apartments

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Micro-Apartments

This topic contains 67 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by News News 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • Author

cheap
    Login to Send PM

this is what you get when a develloper’s greed and a city govt.’s addiction to tax revenue work together.

pretty crazy stuff.

The San Francisco Board of Supervisors is currently considering a proposal that would allow living spaces as small as 150 square feet, plus a kitchen, bathroom, and closet—somewhere between the size of a parking space and a one-car garage.

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Reminds me of this hong kong architect utilizing a 330 sq. ft apartment. Twice the size, but his idea could be applicable at 160.

330 ft apt in Hong Kong

drewtoothpaste
    Login to Send PM

In the future, college graduates will go straight from the stage where they receive their diploma into a coffin. Monthly coffin rent starts at $3,000

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

At 47 Inches Wide, This Is the World’s Skinniest House

In Warsaw, Poland, construction is underway on the world’s skinniest house. At just 47 inches wide—and 27 inches at its narrowest point—the “Keret House” is so thin it’s not even considered a real building by Polish standards.

READ MORE: http://www.good.is/posts/at-47-inches-wide-this-is-the-world-s-skinniest-house

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

There’s minimalism, and then there’s confinement.

mrpoppinzs
    Login to Send PM

^ +1 I really like the small houses, but skinny does not appeal to me. I think that house would be like living on a submarine.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

joev said:
    There’s minimalism, and then there’s confinement.

+1

I have a very mild case of claustrophobia, and I think hanging out inside this place would totally set it off.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

American Cities Seek Young Creatives With Micro-Apartments
    Posted September 21, 2012

Increasingly, cities are seeking ways to accommodate more people in the same amount of space. At the same time, many mayors are seeking to attract those particular types of people that tend have an outsized positive impact on the local economy, the sector of the workforce documented by Richard Florida in his 2003 bestseller The Rise of the Creative Class that can loosely be characterized as young creatives. Whether artists or web designers, software programmers or bloggers, those most amenable to moving are likely to be at the start of their careers, rather than the apex, and don’t have the kind of cash required to land one of those pricey condos downtown. But they’re not the type of folks content to commute from the ‘burbs, either.

READ MORE: http://sustainablecitiescollective.com/namarchetti/67781/american-cities-seek-young-creatives-micro-apartments

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

San Francisco Approves New Microapartments

Tiny apartments are getting a lot of love. New York City has a new pilot program for 300-square-foot apartments. In London, a 10’ x 8’ apartment up for sale last month was so popular it quickly doubled in price. Warsaw has the world’s skinniest house. Vancouver and Seattle have tested microapartments, and several California cities have regulations allowing tiny minimum dimensions. The latest is San Francisco, which just approved building a trial run of 220-square-foot microapartments. The trial will include 375 units.

READ MORE: http://www.good.is/posts/san-francisco-approves-new-microapartments/

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Taking a decent sized vacant lot downtown or in Franklinton and packing it full of architecturally unique “Tiny Houses” has been on the top of my “if I had the money to do it” list…
    Japanese Tiny Houses

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

The Tiny Transforming Apartment That Packs Eight Rooms into 420 Square Feet
    JAN 17, 2013 10:00 AM
    Michael Hession

Living in New York City isn’t all adventure and dynamism. Unless you are wealthy the way no real person is, you probably have to settle for a living space that is cramped and cluttered. It is the project of Graham Hill, entrepreneur and treehugger.com founder, to come up with an ideal New York apartment—one with a small footprint, both physically and environmentally, and one that offers just as much beauty and functionality as a pad multiple times its size.

READ MORE: http://gizmodo.com/5967622/the-tiny-transforming-apartment-that-packs-six-rooms-into-350-square-feet

http://vimeo.com/55389782

stephentszuter
    stephentszuter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

News said:
    The Tiny Transforming Apartment That Packs Eight Rooms into 420 Square Feet
    JAN 17, 2013 10:00 AM
    Michael Hession

This is the sort of apartment that I want to live in. Badly.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

FYI: There are some apartments in the SN available that are 275sq ft.

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

You can test how you like micro living by going to prison for a couple years. sure the amenities aren’t there, but the size is. ha

stephentszuter
    stephentszuter
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

ricospaz said:
    You can test how you like micro living by going to prison for a couple years. sure the amenities aren’t there, but the size is. ha

Hah!

Well I’d probably have better healthcare, three meals a day, a work out facility, and free rent, so I don’t think it would be a one-to-one comparison…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?