Our City Online

Messageboard - Classes, Lectures & Learning Events

10/16 - Become a SWINGER!

Home Forums Events Classes, Lectures & Learning Events 10/16 – Become a SWINGER!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by jazzypants jazzypants 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jazzypants
    jazzypants
    Login to Send PM

When you wake up on Saturday, October 16, you may know NOTHING about swing dancing. But by the time you finish dinner, you could be dancing with people like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4LZxdBOKXw

October 15-17, 2010

SwingColumbus hosts

Rocktober Lindy Hop Workshop Weekend

at the lovely and convenient Hyatt Regency Hotel in the Convention Center. 200 dancers from all over the US and Canada will be there!

The full Rocktober weekend might be a little overwhelming for new people:

10 hours of workshops

12 hours of social dancing

DJ and Dance competitions

But the Rocktober beginner track pass is a little less intimidating:

Nearly 4 hours of Lindy Hop classes with Jon and Caitlin from Indiana

Saturday evening dancing with band and DJs (6 hours)

free coffee and muffins before class starts!

If you’ve ever wanted to get into swing dancing, this is an awesome chance to jump in! Lindy Hop is a style of swing dancing that’s a bit different than what you see in ballroom studios or movies or on TV…because it’s BETTER and a lot more fun, quite frankly. It’s in the video at the beginning of this post. See?

Back to the workshops!

jon-tigert-leading-swingin2010.jpg

(that’s your teacher, Jon, in the green sweater!)

Right now, the beginner track is $40 (or $35 for students) but the early registration deadline is THURSDAY September 23. It will go up by $10 after that.

(here’s your other teacher, Caitlin, in the plaid skirt!)

jon-caitlin-swingin-2010.jpg

What can you expect?

The Lindy Hop world is a pretty laidback, anything goes kind of place. There are no rules of how to dress or which moves are really “Swing”. Any age is welcome. You don’t need your own partner. During classes, we’ll rotate every few minutes so you’ll meet lots of people. Then you’ll already have some friendly faces waiting for you at the evening dance. And it’s a friendly scene – if someone has the balls to ask you to dance you say YES! (unless you really need to take a break, and you say “Let’s dance a little later!”)

So basically… it’s fun! You should try it. Pricing and registration are here

Got questions? Comment here and I’ll help you out or Contact SwingColumbus!

Stacky
    Login to Send PM

Sounds great! I’ve accompanied swing-luvin’ friends to two similar events in the past; one in Galway and the other in Melbourne. Most of the folks who attended these weekend workshops were quite practiced (to call them enthusiastic would be an understatement), so it was stressful for a person who isn’t confident in her dancing and/or following skills. Both times I ended up being glad I came along and enjoying myself, however, and met lots of fun and interesting people. Would definitely check this out.

jazzypants
    jazzypants
    Login to Send PM

Hey Stacky, thanks for your comment. I hope you can come!

I think the beginner track should be a good, solid introduction without getting too overwhelming. And the classes are great for meeting people, which helps when you want to find someone to dance with in the evening. A lot of women especially feel nervous asking people to dance but really in Lindy Hop people don’t turn down dances.

Early registration ends tonight for ROCKTOBER 2010! Just $40 or $35 for students with ID!

jazzypants
    jazzypants
    Login to Send PM

There is still room in the beginner Lindy Hop classes this Saturday!

The beginner pass includes:

3 classes on Saturday, October 16 with Jon and Caitlin
    Saturday evening dance with (awesome) live band and over 200 dancers in attendance!

Classes are:

10:00AM – 11:15AM Beginner Lindy Hop from the Top – Jon and Caitlin take you on the first step from zero to hero, teaching you the fundamentals of Lindy Hop. Here you will get your everything from your first triple step to your very first swing out

11:30AM – 12:45PM – Lindy Hop Spins and Turns – Learn some cool turns to spice up your Lindy Hop

(Lunch 12:45-1:15)

2:15-3:30PM – Classic Lindy Hop Moves – Jon and Caitlin show you some of their favorite Lindy Hop moves and tricks

Everything takes place at the Hyatt Regency Columbus (the big black glass building at Nationwide and High) 350 N High Street

This is a pretty awesome (and rare) opportunity to go from absolutely nothing to rocking the dance floor in just one day. You don’t need special clothes or shoes. Most people will be in jeans at the workshops. Any shoes that are securely attached to your feet and don’t grab the floor too hard are great, like an old pair of Keds, or leather-soled dress shoes.

If you’ve got questions feel free to call us at 614-467-0102

Registration is available online (it’s $10 cheaper to buy in advance than at the door)

Pictures from last year’s Rocktober:

More pics are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/swingcolumbus/Rocktober09#

jazzypants
    jazzypants
    Login to Send PM

If you didn’t come to Rocktober, you missed an awesome weekend! I’ve blogged some of the highlights from the competitions and performances below. If you get the Sunday Dispatch, look on page 2 and there’s a photo from one of our competitions!

Instructor performances
    Showcase competition

Here’s a video of a jam circle that broke out during the Saturday dance:

Jimbo Jones
    Jimbo Jones
    Login to Send PM

At first, I thought this headline was intended as a promotion at Club Princeton.

jazzypants
    jazzypants
    Login to Send PM

I experiment with titles to get people to click. When I use the word ‘swinger’ I tend to get many more views ;)

DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

My friend Lynzi came in from out of town for this event and had a great time! Maybe next year I’ll have the free time to attend.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Classes, Lectures & Learning Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.