Art

“Flowing Kiss” Sculptures to be Installed at North Bank Park This Summer

Brent Warren Brent Warren “Flowing Kiss” Sculptures to be Installed at North Bank Park This Summer

A new piece of public art is on track to be unveiled this summer at North Bank Park. “Flowing Kiss”, which will consist of two shining steel sculptures placed on black and white granite columns, is currently being fabricated. The 15-foot tall sculptures will be placed in the stone planters on either side of Neil Avenue, between Spring and Long Streets.

Colorado-based artist Lawrence Argent was selected for the project in June of last year by a seven-member jury, which was seated by the Columbus Art Commission. Argent has installed many high-profile public art pieces at sites around the country, including “I see what you mean” (a giant blue bear peering into the Colorado Convention Center), and “Leap”, which features a bright red rabbit jumping down to the baggage claim level of the Sacramento Airport.

Argent said his plan for the Columbus piece changed after his initial site visit, during which he tried to talk to as many locals as he could.

“Columbus is a very interesting city in many ways. I was was struck by the sense of affection and love for the city…I thought, ‘What can I do with this? How can I synthesize this idea and create something uniquely Columbus?’”

He explored possibilities related to “the motion of a kiss…trying to capture the moment of passion of a kiss or a moment of embrace, (and also to) see the effect of wind or energy blowing through objects.”

Once Argent came up with the initial idea, the challenge then became creating a form that was intriguing but that did not call to mind something familiar like an animal (or, as he jokingly put it, “trying to make sure it didn’t look like Finding Nemo or something).”

The artist is confident that he came up with something that will strike a chord with the community; “I think it will be magical.”

The $240,000 project is being funded primarily by the Riverfront Vision Account of the Miranova Tax Increment Financing district set up in 1998. Additional funding is being provided by the Ohio Arts Council Percent for the Arts Program.

Lori Baudro, city staff to the Arts Commission, says the goal for installation is July or early August of this year.

Photos courtesy Argent Studios Ltd.

More information about the project can be found at development.columbus.gov.

21 Responses to “Flowing Kiss” Sculptures to be Installed at North Bank Park This Summer

1. columbusmike April 15, 2013 3:45 pm at 3:45 pm

Ugh…

2. L-Rag April 15, 2013 6:08 pm at 6:08 pm

These look fun.

3. Bonnie Dodds
    bonniefide April 15, 2013 8:35 pm at 8:35 pm

Ew…

4. Analogue Kid April 15, 2013 9:09 pm at 9:09 pm

This is…not good

5. rory April 15, 2013 9:15 pm at 9:15 pm

I can’t wait to see this on cups, t-shirts and other promotional materials for our fair city. I think this is going to put us on the map as the wtf capital of the Midwest.

Is it too late to put it in the airport?

6. Roger846 April 15, 2013 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm

I think this sculpture will be just fine, especially with a plaque saying that what he said about how it’s trying to capture peoples’ love for their city. Right now, I think we’re probably known as a boring, white-bread midwestern city. What’s wrong with a little weird, avant-garde stuff here and there. I hate to say it, but that’s what gives other cities personality, IMHO.

7. Stephen43215
    Stephen43215 April 15, 2013 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm

Im assuming both sculptures will be facing north on Neil Ave. what happens if Long goes 2-way in the future? You will be looking at the back of it.

Walker April 16, 2013 12:36 am at 12:36 am

I think the two pieces face each other across Neil Avenue in the park space that’s between Spring and Long.

Personally, I think it looks weird, wild and unlike anything else… which is perfect. Everyone should love it or hate it, and very few people should feel indifferent about it. A great conversation piece!

9. Mic
    Mic April 16, 2013 1:04 am at 1:04 am

I’m with Walker; I yearn for more strange and innovative public artwork. I’m not even sure if I will like this, but I like the idea of it inducing discussion. Much better than another bland elephant wedding cake.

10. leftovers April 16, 2013 2:25 am at 2:25 am

I have to admit I first thought it was Jar Jar Binks who was blowing the kiss. I am sure it will be fine. We need enough public art so there is something for everybody.

11. geoyui April 16, 2013 8:20 am at 8:20 am

It’s better than a cooling tower…

12. surber17 April 16, 2013 8:42 am at 8:42 am

Weird is good …. i’m in on it.

13. aceswilde April 16, 2013 9:23 am at 9:23 am

It is def different……..interesting also.

14. Larissa
    Larissa April 16, 2013 11:02 am at 11:02 am

I’m very happy to see more public art being installed. It’s just a shame that a local artist was not chosen. I feel like someone who actually lives here could provide a much more profound statement than “Columbus is a very interesting city in many ways. I was was struck by the sense of affection and love for the city”, and they also would be more qualified to “create something uniquely Columbus”. :/

15. heresthecasey April 16, 2013 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm

Much better than the cooling tower.

16. Jason Powell
    jpizzow April 16, 2013 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm

I can see a lot of perspective shots of people kissing the sculptures and it could make for some interesting wedding shots since so many people get married down there.

Speaking of the cooling towers^^. Anybody heard anything lately?

17. efilsitra
    efilsitra April 16, 2013 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm

The fact that it’s an artist from out of state and as far as Colorado can be looked at as a great thing. For one, it means people out of Columbus are looking at Columbus as a relevant city to create art for. People that know the artist might come to Columbus just to see it (having a local artist you would not have that) spreading the word about our fine city when they go back home as well. We haven’t seen it installed or finished yet so it’s a bit early to judge. I agree we need more public art and avant garde public art is cool, it looks like the artist really likes the city and thought a lot about it..give it a chance.

18. sdbuck1
    sdbuck1 April 18, 2013 3:16 pm at 3:16 pm

It’s no clock showing the time in Tehran, Iran, that’s for sure.

19. surber17 May 3, 2013 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm

saw this today and thought it would have been cool there http://imgur.com/S0y67Hf

20. Josh Lapp
    joshlapp May 3, 2013 2:03 pm at 2:03 pm

Always space for it at Nationwide and High!

21. radstu September 3, 2013 9:57 pm at 9:57 pm

Now that it’s up, all I can see is Beetlejuice. Those kissing fish on the white and black striped stands remind me of the Sandworms from Beetlejuice.

What happens if I say Beetlejuice again? Was it good, or bad? Anyway, it’s good to see something – as Walker said good / bad it’s something different at least. I wonder how long they are slated to be there?

art categories