First Look at the New Downtown Circulator Buses

Walker Evans Walker Evans First Look at the New Downtown Circulator Buses

As Brent Warren wrote on Wednesday, COTA will be launching their Downtown Circulator service on Cinco de Mayo, bringing a free ride to those looking to easily hop between Downtown, German Village, the Brewery District, the Arena District, the Short North and all points in between.

This morning, CU user “Lucky Parrot” emailed us some photos of the new buses from the COTA garages where they await deployment. The buses look to be a little smaller than the standard fleet, and run on Compressed Natural Gas. The special branding includes the Downtown Circulator name on the side along with an easy to understand map of the connected neighborhoods.

To read more details about the new service, CLICK HERE.

For more updates and discussion of the Downtown Circulator, CLICK HERE to visit our Messageboard.

14 Responses to First Look at the New Downtown Circulator Buses

1. stephentszuter
    stephentszuter February 28, 2014 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm

I’m not going to lie…I kinda like them…

Walker February 28, 2014 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm

Yeah, it looks good. Clean and modern and easy to understand what it does and where it goes.

3. mbeaumont February 28, 2014 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm

No CBUS branding?

I was hoping for a more eye-catching wrap, but it’ll work I suppose. I do like that it says Downtown Circulator and that there are destinations on it.

4. Josh Lapp
    joshlapp February 28, 2014 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm

I like the look. I think a large FREE on both sides would be a good addition.

5. UrbanPlanner2112 February 28, 2014 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm

Nicely done. I predict there will be peak usage periods were these are absolutely packed, like to the point where people have to wait for the next one, which will be a great real-life demonstration of the need for more serious system like a streetcar.

@joshlapp: Maybe the LED display board could be used to communicate something like that?

6. Stephen43215
    Stephen43215 February 28, 2014 1:40 pm at 1:40 pm

Maybe the LED on the front will read “FREE”.

7. Mike88 February 28, 2014 4:51 pm at 4:51 pm

I agree I would like to see “the CBUS” on the side and an indication that is free, even if the LED says so in a perfect world I think it would say that somewhere else too.

Over all very cool though and I cannot wait to take a ride!

8. geoyui March 1, 2014 2:50 pm at 2:50 pm

Although the color doesn’t bother me as much, the location of “Downtown Circulator” is not ideal IMO. It would be better served at the top with “FREE” because you won’t see “downtown circulator” over the top of cars.

9. Newsline March 1, 2014 4:08 pm at 4:08 pm

COTA needs to be honest with people. COTA shows that the Circular bus, stops in German Village. It does not stop in German Village it stops on High Street in the Brewery District and if you want to go to the business in German Village on Third Street you will have to walk 3 blocks just to get to Third Street.

10. mrsgeedeck March 1, 2014 6:29 pm at 6:29 pm

@newsline Not three whole blocks!

11. GVguy
    GVguy March 2, 2014 3:35 pm at 3:35 pm

Totally agree with Newsline. I understand this new route largely replicates the Night Owl route, but if one was starting from scratch with it and truly wanted to feature and provide access to GV, the route would involve Third St. Ideally, when heading south on High, it would head east on Livingston just after downtown then south on Third before heading west on Whittier to find its way north on Front. This would make a great deal more sense if the city was trying to feature and provide access to one of its great neighborhoods. I’m certain the local businesses would support the additional tourism as well.

12. bjrobinson March 2, 2014 4:22 pm at 4:22 pm

Pretty Nice Design..I Like!

13. TemporaryCoolBeans March 2, 2014 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm

Looks like it could be a matchbox. I’m a fan of the simplicity.

14. Eugene_C May 5, 2014 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm

Works for me. I’ll certainly be using them.