First Look: 16-Bit Bar+Arcade – Opens August 30 at 4pm

Walker Evans Walker Evans First Look: 16-Bit Bar+Arcade – Opens August 30 at 4pm

The highly anticipated 16-Bit Bar+Arcade is only a few pixels away from opening. Ever since we first broke the news that Downtown Columbus would be getting its very own arcade bar, owner Troy Allen has been fending off the same question over and over again: “When are you opening?”

Well, over 40 arcade cabinets have been plugged in, the beer tap handles have been installed, cocktail menus are printed, and the only thing left is the last round of inspections before the business can be operational. Allen anticipates a soft opening sometime closer to the end of the month with a grand opening party shortly afterward, though an official date has still not been cemented. (Edit: 16-Bit is officially opening Friday, August 30th at 4pm!)

Until then, you can enjoy the experience in photos, as we were able to stop in today to take a sneak peek at what’s to come in the very near future.

For ongoing discussion (and bragging about high scores), CLICK HERE to visit our messageboard.

More information can be found online at www.16-bitbar.com.

23 Responses to First Look: 16-Bit Bar+Arcade – Opens August 30 at 4pm

1. mellotron
    mellotron August 14, 2013 2:24 pm at 2:24 pm

LOVE the beer pedestal between the games. Crucial!

2. JPowell
    jpizzow August 14, 2013 2:37 pm at 2:37 pm

Cannot wait for this to open and have a little IPA with my TMNT. Are there any plans for outdoor seating?

3. John McCollum August 14, 2013 2:40 pm at 2:40 pm

My life is complete. Or at least it would be if they had Mortal Kombat (1 or 3 is fine, thank you).

I misspent a good deal of time at a place called ABCD (American Beer, Copiers and Deli, I think) across from Bogarts in Cincinnati — a cold Hudy and a stack of quarters. I might just have to misspend some time here as well.

Walker August 14, 2013 2:44 pm at 2:44 pm

@John – The 4th to last photo shows the Mortal Kombat machine. ;) So there you go. Life = complete. ;)

5. Digital Dave August 14, 2013 3:17 pm at 3:17 pm

Oh man, I cannot wait for this to open! I’m not the best at it, but I’m always down for a head-to-head game of MS. Pacman with any of y’all. Real men eat all 4 ghosts on the apple level ;)

6. vestanpance
    vestanpance August 14, 2013 3:50 pm at 3:50 pm

Can you recall which pinball machines they had?

and damn.. I was hoping for MK2 :p

7. Saint Murrays August 14, 2013 3:52 pm at 3:52 pm

Where is The Simpsons game???

The place looks real solid, excited to try it out.

8. NEOBuckeye
    NEOBuckeye August 14, 2013 4:01 pm at 4:01 pm

Awesome! I can’t wait!

9. th0m
    th0m August 14, 2013 4:05 pm at 4:05 pm

awesome!

Walker August 14, 2013 4:13 pm at 4:13 pm

@Saint Murrays – I asked about The Simpsons after not seeing it, and Troy said it was in the back room awaiting repairs. They have around 40-45 machines on the floor and another 20 in storage to rotate out for variety and as things need fixed.

11. John McCollum August 14, 2013 4:15 pm at 4:15 pm

Walker, thanks for pointing that out! I guess I scrolled too fast in my excitement. That would be MK1, which I used to be able to beat with one quarter.

That having been said, I spent enough learning to play the game that I probably could have bought the machine itself…

12. Fighting Mongoose August 14, 2013 5:36 pm at 5:36 pm

YEESSSSS!!!!!!!!!

13. Mae August 14, 2013 6:13 pm at 6:13 pm

I will probably find myself in here soon after it opens, but what I really want to play again are Xevious (Namco) and Doctor Who pinball (Bally). And I want to play Joust with Hugh.

14. catnfiddle August 14, 2013 7:04 pm at 7:04 pm

THANK YOU for checking on pinball machines. I don’t play video games, but (believe it or not) I was Greek Week Pinball Champ a gazillion years ago. Need to brush up my skills, but I’d love a CU tournament somewhere down the road.

15. Taz Devil August 15, 2013 6:55 am at 6:55 am

Oh my, I think that I see an original Tron video game back there. Oh, so want to go! How can I get a coveted ticket to the soft opening????

16. MichaelC August 15, 2013 10:01 am at 10:01 am

Double Dragon?! Rampage?!? Seventh Son on tap?!

All my dollars are belong to 16-bit.

17. DocMedPot August 15, 2013 11:14 am at 11:14 am

I see they have what I always thought was the Ultimate 80′s bar machine…Tapper! This beer slinging video game cabinet was perfect since it has these large brass colored metal holders for a beer on one side and a ashtray on the other(back from when I was still young, dumb, addicted to nico-sticks and you could smoke in bars).

Thanks for the sneak peek Walker, I, for one hopes this place makes it go in Cbus!

18. Kahiki
    Kahiki August 15, 2013 6:11 pm at 6:11 pm

Can’t wait to hear this song live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hGF83f7gNA

19. tonywok August 15, 2013 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm

Oh man, this awesome bar called Jon Jon’s in Seattle had a game called “Zeke’s Peak”. I got incredibly addicted to it. It looks like the “Ice Cold Game” is a very similar game – woo!

20. billiejean
    billiejean August 17, 2013 12:18 am at 12:18 am

So excited!!!!

21. readysetdisco
    readysetdisco August 28, 2013 7:46 am at 7:46 am

wow. what a great selection! any chance you saw x-men in the back, walker?

Walker August 28, 2013 8:11 am at 8:11 am

No X-Men, sorry! I asked about the big honkin’ six-player two-screen version, but they said it was too big and too heavy and took up too much room. ;) Maybe they’ll get the 4-player version later.

23. readysetdisco
    readysetdisco August 28, 2013 8:17 pm at 8:17 pm

still worth it, and thanks!