Seven Story Mixed-Use Apartment Building Proposed Downtown

Walker Evans Walker Evans Seven Story Mixed-Use Apartment Building Proposed Downtown

A new seven-story mixed-use residential building is being proposed by Lifestyle Communities for the northwest corner of High and Rich Streets Downtown, across from Columbus Commons. The C-shaped building will house 23,000 square feet of ground floor retail, six stories including approximately 88 apartment units and a 60-space parking structure accessed from Wall Street. A courtyard space faces south toward Rich Street.

“This proposal is a continuation of what was originally envisioned for the RiverSouth neighborhood,” said Amy Taylor, chief operating officer at the Columbus Downtown Development Corportation (CDDC), which is the current property owner of this development site. “Adding new residents creates vibrancy and a critical mass of people that will allow retail to follow rooftops.”

The new development requires the demolition of two existing buildings. One is a three-story building at 221 South High Street, and the other is the Trautman Building at 203-213 South High Street. The Trautman Building was considered in 2007 as a candidate for artist live/work space, but the plan was scrapped. The building has been empty since 2008 when tenants were abruptly vacated.

Lifestyle Communities previously built the Annex at River South apartment community several years ago, which is located directly west of this proposed new development. Directly east of the site is the new mixed-use 300-unit Columbus Commons apartment and retail development, which is currently under construction.

“The two parks have been cited as critical amenities by multiple developers,” said Taylor. “When Lifestyle Communities made their initial investment with The Annex, they said that it was key to have the Scioto Mile being their front yard and Columbus Commons being their backyard.”

The Downtown Commission will meet next Tuesday, November 27th to review the proposal for demolition, and to review the concept for the new development.

The conceptual design is by Brian Kent Jones, Architect of Record is Meleca Architecture and the Architectural Rendering (above) is by Paul Kelley.

Ongoing discussion about this new development can be found HERE on our messageboard.

31 Responses to Seven Story Mixed-Use Apartment Building Proposed Downtown

1. Neutzy November 21, 2012 9:50 am at 9:50 am

A photo of the existing buildings on the site should be included in this article.

Walker November 21, 2012 9:53 am at 9:53 am

You can view a google streetview of the existing buildings, here: http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/seven-story-building-proposed-for-high-rich#post-473166

I’ll add a photo of my own of the buildings later today when I can get down there to get a photo. ;)

3. futureman November 21, 2012 9:53 am at 9:53 am

Here ya go: http://goo.gl/maps/U8lXs

4. columbusmike November 21, 2012 10:03 am at 10:03 am

BUILD IT NOW!

I really appreciate the updated High Street streetscape…haha, riiiight….

5. Jason Powell
    jpizzow November 21, 2012 10:09 am at 10:09 am

Really like this. I’m glad developers are noticing the advantage of keeping residential in nodes throughout downtown. Lifestyles must have liked what they saw with the Annex renting out so fast. Gotta say though, I’m really surprised nobody has proposed anything for the vacant lots just south of the Annex. It seems like a natural progression to me, although we all know there is nothing natural about the world of planning and real estate development. Exciting times.

6. MichaelC
    MichaelC November 21, 2012 10:09 am at 10:09 am

Very, very exciting news. This park continues to facilitate investment. Absolutely love it. Hope this moves quickly and well toward completion.

7. futureman November 21, 2012 10:13 am at 10:13 am

8. Stephen43215
    Stephen43215 November 21, 2012 10:21 am at 10:21 am

Does Casto still own the lot south of Columbus Commons on High Street? Im sure they have been brainstorming ideas for the site. They also proposed condos at High and Rich on the southwest side several years ago with an additional 3 floors built atop the building already standing.

9. columbusmike November 21, 2012 10:40 am at 10:40 am

futureman said:
    “really like the details on the top floor. Wish Meleca did the Columbus Commons Apartment design as well.”

+1!

Walker November 21, 2012 10:57 am at 10:57 am

11. ink November 21, 2012 11:06 am at 11:06 am

This is pathetic. A city full of parking lots and we tear down two perfectly good buildings. The Trautman Building might not look too great with its present 1960′s cladding, but I am not convinced there is not potential hidden behind. The interior holds details like this stairwell:

12. MichaelC
    MichaelC November 21, 2012 11:30 am at 11:30 am

Now that’s promising, Walker. :)

13. columbusmike November 21, 2012 11:31 am at 11:31 am

Walker said:
    “@Stephen & @Jpizzow – I’ve heard some rumblings and rumors that the SE corner of High & RIch could be next in line for an announcement. Will share more when I hear more. ;)”

Such a tease!

That property would be good to see going vertical. It’s a real eyesore on the main drag of downtown.

14. columbusmike November 21, 2012 11:34 am at 11:34 am

@ink – I know, I’d rather see the Trautman building renovated, but I think we’re getting a great project in lieu of it. If the new building looked like the Columbus Commons, I’d have an issue with it being demo’ed.

15. Stephen43215
    Stephen43215 November 21, 2012 11:37 am at 11:37 am

ink

Although I do love the new development, Columbus is notorious for tearing down large structures in the downtown area before filling in surface lots. (The building where The Abigail sits, old car dealership where Columbus State parking lot is, and now the buildings at High and Rich. The Trautman Building looks amazing from the photo taken back in its glory days!

Walker November 21, 2012 11:47 am at 11:47 am

@Stephen – The old Cadillac Motor Company Building (dealership building near CSCC) is the only example of a Downtown demolition for a surface parking lot that I can think of occurring in the past decade.

Downtown Columbus has become a much more thoughtful environment for smart growth and development post-2000. Any notoriety for demolition comes from a completely different era, and I’d like to think we’re largely past that outdated mindset.

17. Lifestyle Communities November 21, 2012 11:57 am at 11:57 am

We’re excited to see the word is getting out, and we can’t wait to share more as it develops!

18. JRemy
    JRemy November 21, 2012 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm

It is beautiful. I just don’t know if I am excited about it being a Lifestyle Community. I am rarely impressed with there layouts and think they are over priced. I would much rather see the current properties be redeveloped but this will do. I just hope they are not allowed to demolish the current buildings until financing is taken care of for the redevelopment. I would be unhappy if the demolition took place but financing fell through and we were left with an empty lot.

19. Neutzy November 21, 2012 1:03 pm at 1:03 pm

Thanks for updating the article with the photo of existing buildings, Walker.

20. columbusmike November 21, 2012 3:52 pm at 3:52 pm

With the horrible design of the Columbus Commons across the street, this building will look like a luxury condominium.

Walker November 21, 2012 8:43 pm at 8:43 pm

@Neutzy – No problem! ;)

22. Roger846 November 21, 2012 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm

This is great news, but why stop at 7 floors?! Maybe, there’s not enough demand, but it’d sure be nice to seem some much taller, less boxy buildings going up. One nice thing about Miranova is that it has some color and is curved.

23. Pickerington_Kyle
    Pickerington_Kyle November 21, 2012 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm

YES @Roger846 I honestly believe they could easily rent out a 20 story building. BUILD UP!

24. futureman November 22, 2012 12:45 am at 12:45 am

The reason for 7 stories I’d suspect is economics. Building a 20 story building, with parking, would be cost prohibitive for this site. Honestly, be happy it’s 7 stories and not 3-4 like their neighbor property. They are not fortunate like Columbus Commons Apartments (Highpoint) to have an existing underground garage to utilize.

Mirinova is also taking up a great deal more land than this proposed building. I’d say it’s 4 to 5 times the amount of land. This project is perfectly in scale to what should be built IMO.

Please build it!

Walker November 22, 2012 11:00 am at 11:00 am

If it were 20, someone would say it should be 30 floors. If it were 30, someone would want 40. ;)

26. RellekOTE November 22, 2012 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm

Although I do like the design of this building, why are we planning on A) tearing down a historic building to B) build a 7-STORY building on Columbus’ main street? It is INSANE to me. I really hope this does not go through, because it will be just as much of a disappointment as the Columbus Commons apartments (don’t even get me started on those).

27. Stephen43215
    Stephen43215 November 22, 2012 1:28 pm at 1:28 pm

Something needs to be done about the amount of parking spaces the city requires for new developments. Until we get better public transportation everyone is going to want at least 1-2 personal parking spaces where they live.

28. Josh Lapp
    joshlapp November 22, 2012 1:38 pm at 1:38 pm

I believe the downtown district doesn’t have parking restrictions. Any restrictions for this development would be based on the needs of the residents. Not that’s any better.

29. JMan November 22, 2012 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm

Thank god we are finally moving forward. Let’s keep the momentum going everyone. Can’t wait to see what downtown looks like five years from now. And with a new wing on the art museum too!

30. staindson7 November 27, 2012 2:29 pm at 2:29 pm

I sure hate seeing buildings torn down, but I am excited to see some new life brought into this part of downtown, which has been nothing but vacant buildings for years and years.

31. readysetdisco
    readysetdisco November 27, 2012 3:28 pm at 3:28 pm

Too bad…I kind of love the Trautman Building. Agreed this will make the opposite side of the street look like a joke.

Hope downtown Cup o Joe can hold out long enough for all these new tenants.