Downtown High Street Parking Meters Installed

Walker Evans Walker Evans Downtown High Street Parking Meters Installed

The first set of 30 new Downtown parking meters have been installed on High Street, which will go into service on Monday, November 19th at 9am. A total of 120 parking meters will be installed on High Street between Goodale Street and Mound Street by the summer of 2013. The meters are being placed in locations to better accomodate shopping, dining for Downtown visitors.

“More convenient parking will make shops and restaurants along High Street more accessible and downtown more active and vibrant,” said Mayor Michael B. Coleman. “Downtown will become more walkable for visitors because they can park closer to destinations on or near High Street.”

Keep in mind that parking at High Street meters is prohibited during weekday rush hour from 7am to 9am and from 4pm to 6pm. These parking restrictions are designed to allow cars and buses to more easily commute along the High Street corridor during peak hours.

All 120 of the new parking meters will accept credit and debit cards and will have three-hour limits.

The installation of parking meters on High Street is one project detailed in the larger Downtown Action Plan, which aims to reconfigure Downtown streets to be safer, more multimodal and pedestrian friendly.

To learn more about the Downtown Action Plan, click here to read our three-part interview.

9 Responses to Downtown High Street Parking Meters Installed

1. buckette13 November 16, 2012 2:00 pm at 2:00 pm

Hopefully these will not be preyed upon by zealous meter maids. Got a ticket while eating out on Grant St a couple of weeks ago. They busted me as soon as time ran out. I swear they must have been watching it.

2. MHJ November 16, 2012 3:21 pm at 3:21 pm

It’s their job to watch the meters, and they should be zealous. Being overzealous would be a problem though.

Walker November 16, 2012 3:40 pm at 3:40 pm

Yeah, parking meters are only effective if they’re enforced. Getting a ticket sucks though. Sorry to hear it.

4. ehill27 November 16, 2012 9:19 pm at 9:19 pm

It’s easy to lose track of time, so I typically set the alarm on my phone.

5. susank November 16, 2012 9:33 pm at 9:33 pm

Same thing happened to me. I hate overfeeding the meter but $40 really puts a dent in the cocktail budget. I will try to remember to use the phone alarm next time.

6. OhioDwight November 17, 2012 5:53 pm at 5:53 pm

Columbus, the City, does good stuff. Keeping the city relatively clean, maintaining streets, continuously creating new and replacing old curb cuts and sidewalks; planning future while maintaining existing walking and bike paths. Offering services to those who need it most, while maintaining a reasonable budget. It’s important that the side streets are as well maintained as the main streets and Columbus does it well.

But one thing the city does not do is keep up with current technology. Why doesn’t Columbus use current cell tech with its meters so you can pay meter costs using a cell phone?

Here’s a starting point: http://paybyphone.com/. I’m sure, with a web search, that dozens of solutions can be found.

I actually don’t give a fig what vendor the city may use, but if you’re going to spend all that money on a meter, why not make it smart? And make it easier for customers to use?

[Unrelated to the topic, but related to me saying Columbus' tech is old] I’m a current customer of the city’s electricity grid and their bill and pay system is absolutely archaic! They guess every other month and you cannot plan your expense. I’ve complained, and they say they’re working on it. For 3 years? Really?

7. heresthecasey November 17, 2012 7:44 pm at 7:44 pm

@OhioDwight

The city recently (and finally) embarked on a plan to replace old cash-only meters with new ones that accept credit and debit cards.

Having quarters be the only option is stone-age, but I think meters accepting Visa and connecting over wireless is both ‘smart’ and ’21st century.’ It takes both time and money to roll out new technology.

I’m not sure there’s that much demand that meters should be payable ‘by phone’ or that it would result in any greater convenience (versus the availability of current options or its required expense).

Alternatively (and not related to city government exactly), COTA is severly deficient in technology so far as they don’t offer a non-cash or smartcard method of payment. I think that would be a much better addition to the city than paying parking meters from some 3rd-party app.

8. lifeontwowheels November 22, 2012 4:15 pm at 4:15 pm

I think the pay by phone app sees it’s benefit from the ability to put an extra 15 minutes or an hour on the meter while you sit in the comfort of the bar. Beats the costly ticket and chance you may not return downtown after a $30 dollar ticket when you were minutes late.

Agree on COTA but in the mean time the various multi-use passes, which you can buy while grocery shopping, are a pretty handy way to take advantage of downtown without the parking hassle. My $60 or so 31 day pass has been amazing and well worth it the past 3 weeks.

Walker November 22, 2012 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm

@lifeontwowheels – Cool to hear you’ve picked up a monthly pass. I’ve been using them for awhile and love the ability to hop off and on at my own leisure. I’ll often take a bus Downtown for only a couple of blocks if one is coming in the direction I’m headed (which is quite often).