Entertainment

Cycle Tavern Launches Bar-Hopping Tours Powered by 16-Passenger Bike

Walker Evans Walker Evans Cycle Tavern Launches Bar-Hopping Tours Powered by 16-Passenger Bike

If you’re out in the Short North or Arena District areas this weekend, there’s a good chance you might spot a new type of vehicle on the street: the 16-passenger bar-bike. Dayna and Dusty Wymer, owners of Cycle Tavern of Columbus, are launching their new bar-hopping tour business this weekend, and will definitely be turning some heads with their unique mode of transportation.

“We rode the Pedal Pub bicycle in Minneapolis while visiting family this spring,” said Dayna. “After our first few pedals, we knew this was just what Columbus needed to add excitement to its downtown social scene.”

This unique vehicle is powered by pedals located at the feet of each of the ten barstools located down the left and right sides. There are additional non-pedaling seats in the rear of the vehicle, while a Cycle Tavern employed-driver steers and brakes from the middle, traveling between five to eight miles per hour.

Cycle Tavern is available for rent for parties, corporate events, birthdays, tailgates and other special occasions from March through October.

For more information, visit www.cycletavern.com or call 614-306-1355.

25 Responses to Cycle Tavern Launches Bar-Hopping Tours Powered by 16-Passenger Bike

1. stephentszuter
    stephentszuter July 28, 2011 11:57 am at 11:57 am

THIS IS AMAZING!!!

That would make for a very fun evening!

2. Tenzo July 28, 2011 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm

Open Alcohol and vehicular transportation!   What could possibly go wrong?

3. ohiogirlie74
    ohiogirlie74 July 28, 2011 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm

I would love this for a birthday party or something! How memorable!

Walker July 28, 2011 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm

Tenzo – There’s no alcohol served/consumed while on the vehicle. The passengers also don’t steer the vehicle. Which makes it as safe as bar hopping in a car with a designated driver.

5. stoneschick84 July 28, 2011 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm

This looks AWESOME, but I’m a little confused. Can you actually have alcohol on the Cycle Tavern? It seems like you should be able to, but one of the pages on their website says that you can’t, due to Ohio’s open container laws.

6. TomOver July 28, 2011 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm

I’m trying to visualize how this vehicle’s gears work.  Of course tandems are no novelty, but does anyone have info on other human-powered vehicles that involve, for example, 3 or 4 or more ‘active passengers’ or ‘co-drivers’ ?

As for cargo vehicles, 3 or 4 hundred lbs of more can be hauled around town–using commonplace gear assemblies.

Driving a rickshaw has demonstrated that to me, and I’m a 43-yr-old, who’s not especially athletic and not big and strong.

7. cc
    cc July 28, 2011 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm

As far as open container, Ohio law does allow a clause for a chauffeured limousine, but that is a very specific case with a seperated driver compartment.

I think the bike is neat, but I suspect it may get harder to pedal as the crawl wears on.

8. OSUPhantom July 28, 2011 1:01 pm at 1:01 pm

I want this everywhere. I also want it to serve alcohol. Maybe put in a TV or something. Think about watching the game while drink a beer as you are biking along the river path.

9. aaminian
    aaminian July 28, 2011 1:12 pm at 1:12 pm

Looks pretty cool, but is this really anything more than a large pedicab?

10. RoJoNo
    RoJoNo July 28, 2011 1:26 pm at 1:26 pm

11. bayrea July 28, 2011 2:48 pm at 2:48 pm

The Human Centipede…

12. berdawn July 28, 2011 3:09 pm at 3:09 pm

oh my! I think I know what I want for my birthday!

13. JPowell
    jpizzow July 28, 2011 4:37 pm at 4:37 pm

That. Is. Awesome.

^^Party cups. Does that count as open container? If you can’t drink on it, it kind of defeats the purpose.

14. AmandaD July 28, 2011 5:19 pm at 5:19 pm

Oh my gosh — I LOVE this!!!

15. cc
    cc July 28, 2011 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm

I think this is cool. I would appreciate it if a paying party could post some feedback sometime in the future. I guess a concern would be that the novelty factor may wear off before the evening is through. There is a 2 hour minimum, but probably 3 hours would be needed for a proper crawl, imho.

16. AmyJ July 28, 2011 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm

My friend did this in Milwaukee last weekend and said it was a lot of fun. I want to try it out!

17. DC7371 July 29, 2011 2:41 am at 2:41 am

My friends and I did this in Nashville! Had a blast….. trust me the novelty did not wear off! I can’t wait to book a tour here.

18. The Dudely Lama July 29, 2011 1:26 pm at 1:26 pm

Pretty awesome, although rather expensive. Even when split 16 ways.

19. radiculture
    radiculture July 29, 2011 2:53 pm at 2:53 pm

Great writeup in the most recent issue of Imbibe Magazine about the mixing of cycling and beer cultures / activities. They featured this thing – as well as other examples.  It looks fun, but I am also confused and surprised by the fact that there is no alcohol involved.  Seems to defeat the purpose.  :)

20. Elizabeth Lessner
    lizless July 29, 2011 7:18 pm at 7:18 pm

I am in love.

21. byJody
    byJody July 31, 2011 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm

So excited about this!  Dan Burden (Columbus Native) and founder of http://www.walklive.org/ was just telling us about the MN Pedal Pub this week – and voila it appears in Columbus.  Seems like a fun Consider Biking fund raiser!  I also loved that idea about adding a TV to watch football games while pedaling the paths.  Too bad Ohio’s open container law keeps it from being a true rolling tavern.  Oh well, progress is progress.

22. JMUgrad04
    JMUgrad04 August 3, 2011 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm

Amazing.  I am so excited.

Walker August 29, 2011 2:42 pm at 2:42 pm

More about the business behind the bike: http://www.themetropreneur.com/columbus/cycle-tavern-brings-pedal-powered-pub-crawls-columbus/

24. docrivs
    docrivs September 19, 2011 1:12 pm at 1:12 pm

This touring vehicle and service seems like it would be a great way to view the city and to have a few memorable and enjoyable hours being at least somewhat active and social at the same time. I don’t see why alcohol would be especially necessary for this kind of experience to be fun. I love to walk and bike along the trails throughout the Columbus area, and alcohol has never been a big part of my experience there. It stands apart from the rickshaw service because it involves the customers in the locomotion, and moreso, there are so many more passengers that can be involved that the social experience could be much different and more dynamic. I’ve seen people listening to their mp3 players and reading from their digital book readers and watching digital video while they workout on bike machines and rowing machines. Perhaps, this service has a place in getting Columbus more active?

25. ricospaz October 4, 2011 8:43 am at 8:43 am

Good luck selling this one without allowing alcohol. All the work without the fun.

entertainment categories