COTA Seeks Input on the Future of Transit in Columbus

Walker Evans Walker Evans COTA Seeks Input on the Future of Transit in Columbus

What should the future of public transit look like in Columbus? The Central Ohio Transit Authority (COTA) wants your input as it conducts its Transit System Review. The organization hosted a focus group meeting in January and is soliciting additional public feedback through an online survey.

“We always welcome public input and comments and encourage everyone interested in helping to shape COTA’s future bus network to complete the TSR Survey,” said COTA Senior Service Planner Elliott Doza. “Your feedback and all public comments will be shared with our project team as alternate bus network concepts are designed.”

The new concepts will take into consideration both ridership and coverage components of the Columbus transit system and the planners hope to showcase the pros can cons for developing different types of bus systems around each focus area.

COTA will continue their outreach through a series of public meetings the week of March 17th that will showcase the alternate bus network concepts. Project managers hope to further refine the concepts based on public input at those meetings and have a more finalized concept to share with a focus group in May.

You can fill out the public input survey online by CLICKING HERE.

For ongoing discussion about COTA updates, CLICK HERE to visit our Messgaeboard.

More information can be found at www.cota.com.

12 Responses to COTA Seeks Input on the Future of Transit in Columbus

1. Eugene_C February 19, 2014 10:14 am at 10:14 am

I have a suggestion: COTA needs to put back some of the stops that they took out so we don’t kill ourselves on the ice trying to get to the bus stops.

2. Josh Lapp
    joshlapp February 19, 2014 11:08 am at 11:08 am

I appreciate how you’re feeling Eugene but we have to remember to look at the whole system and how to make it function better. If everyone had a stop in front of their front door it wouldn’t be very efficient.

Walker February 19, 2014 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm

The problems with ice should be resolved by property owners taking responsibility for clearing their sidewalks. It’s unsafe regardless of how close/far the bus stop is. Or whether or not you’re even looking to ride a bus or not.

I filled out the survey myself and like that it seems to focus a lot of technology upgrades. I feel like two things holding a lot of my peers back from riding are a lack of real-time bus arrival information and the ability to pay with a smart card or credit card upon boarding.

Longer-term we really need to look to replace the highest-frequency lines with rail-based transit and reallocate the bus fleet to other service areas/hours.

4. Eugene_C February 19, 2014 2:36 pm at 2:36 pm

The only problem with the efficiency argument is that I have seen no difference in performance since the stops were removed. My bus still gets downtown at exactly the same time it did before they removed the stops and it still picks me up at the same time.

The only difference is that for the last couple weeks I have to walk in the street with traffic to get to my stop and have fallen numerous times and ended up at work with big, wet grime patches on my clothing.

I’m documenting all this, complete with photos and videos and have instructed my survivors to sue COTA if I get killed on the way to their bus.

5. The Peoples Champion February 20, 2014 2:27 am at 2:27 am

Every so often, COTA comes out to “catfish” the residents of Central Ohio and spellbound us with tails of improving service. Or, the improving of our lives with another study of light rail. Or, the expansion of routes. Sadly enough, all the money spent on studies, could have gone to actually IMPROVE services.. Well played COTA, well played…….

6. Ned23 February 20, 2014 6:58 am at 6:58 am

I ride the #4 and was lucky enough that I got to keep my stop in the last stop purge, but I can confirm that the schedule didn’t really change after they culled the stops and I have seen at least a dozen slips and falls in the last month but most of those were people getting on or off the bus. One time we actually had to shout at the driver not to move so that they wouldn’t accidentally run over the person who’d just slipped under the bus after going out the back door!

Walker February 20, 2014 9:45 am at 9:45 am

@PeoplesChampion – Service hours have increased quite a bit at COTA in the past few years, with service running later on both weekdays and weekends for many lines. New CNG buses have been added to the fleet, and more improvements are on the way with BRT, Downtown Shuttle, Real-Time Tracking and other technology upgrades.

8. Geno99 February 20, 2014 10:54 am at 10:54 am

The ice is all melted now. So you can all stop whining or better yet go buy a pair of Snow Trax cleats for your shoes. Costco had them in two-packs last time I was there.

9. Mister MooCow
    Mister MooCow February 24, 2014 1:43 pm at 1:43 pm

Don’t forget to use this survey as an opportunity to encourage recruiting more modern-minded members on COTA’s board of directors. There’s a free-form text field where you can mention that it’s counter to COTA’s future to have people like Bob Weiler on their board.

See http://www.walkerevanseffect.com/blog/the-robert-weiler-incident/ , http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/robert-weiler-still-on-the-cota-board , http://www.columbusunderground.com/robert-weiler-publicly-derides-3c-corridor-project and http://www.columbusunderground.com/cmc-does-columbus-desire-streetcars

[ If only we could do a "write-in" for Walker on the board …]

10. zpaulus February 28, 2014 11:02 am at 11:02 am

What about Electric Buses with overhead power lines in the downtown areas? Columbus had them after the street cars were phased out, but before the bus fleet was dieselized. It’d be cool if they could transition between pure electric power, then to diesel/electric power once leaving “powered” areas. I’ve heard of locomotives being able to do that, why not buses?

11. Eugene_C February 28, 2014 11:08 am at 11:08 am

I think the arches in the Short North may have complicated the possibility of overhead wires for the foreseeable future.

12. zpaulus March 5, 2014 9:41 am at 9:41 am

Maybe, but that’s how they were mounted originally back in the day. I think Columbus was called the Arch City for a little while…either way, it’s nice to dream.