Entertainment

Capital Fitness to Open 24-Hour Downtown Gym

Walker Evans Walker Evans Capital Fitness to Open 24-Hour Downtown Gym

New Years Day is still over a month away, but it’s not too early to start thinking about making some resolutions. Capital Fitness would like to help you out with your fitness goals in 2013, as they plan to open a new 24-hour gym in Downtown Columbus in March of next year.

The new locally-owned gym will be taking over the former Lifestyle Family Fitness facility that closed in November 2011. The 22,000-square foot space is located on the second floor of the Fifth Third Center at the corner of State Street and High Street with views that overlook the Ohio Statehouse lawn.

Owner and Operator Wade Sarber is a nuclear engineer by trade who’s true passion in life is bodybuilding. He’s been active in the sport for over 20 years, taking interest from his father and uncle who participated in strength training before him.

“As Downtown residents, we have both been looking at what the community needs and what the community wants,” said Yavonne Sarber, wife of Wade and owner of de-NOVO Bistro and Manifesto Tuscan Grato. “People want to have a fitness facility as much as they want places to go eat, drink and socialize with friends.”

While the dual ownership of restaurants and fitness facilities may sound a bit strange, Yavonne says that it makes total sense to the couple.

“Wade wants to incorporate a healthy menu option at both restaurants,” she explained. “That way people know that they can go downstairs after working out and get certain items at either restaurant that will be delicious and know they’re not eating something bad for them.”

The abrupt closure of Lifestyle Family Fitness doesn’t seem to concern the Sarbers as they say that the growing interest in Downtown living along with the ongoing development of nearly 400 new apartment units within a block from the gym gives them reason to believe that demand for business will continue to increase.

“From what we understand, the reason Lifestyle Family Fitness failed is because the LLC failed and all six of their gym locations were closed,” said Yavonne. “It wasn’t for lack of customers Downtown.”

After opening next Spring, Capital Fitness will feature 24-hour security and access to a yoga room, sauna room, tanning beds, kickboxing classes, zumba classes, a new weight room, and other state of the art workout equipment. Monthly rates will start at $39 with daily basis and long term contract incentives available.

12 Responses to Capital Fitness to Open 24-Hour Downtown Gym

1. buckette13 November 26, 2012 3:26 pm at 3:26 pm

I like that it will be 24 hours. Will the cardio equipment have individual tv’s?

2. billbix November 26, 2012 3:48 pm at 3:48 pm

24 hours is nice. If I still lived or worked downtown I would be looking into it. If the Columbus Commons Apartments don’t have their own gym this place would be ideal for those residents.

3. stephentszuter
    stephentszuter November 26, 2012 4:53 pm at 4:53 pm

Argh! Another element to add to the growing list of reasons for me to stop avoiding working out.

It’s a reasonable price, too! ;0

4. woofman November 26, 2012 5:59 pm at 5:59 pm

Nice! Moving to the downtown area in January and will need a gym, this looks like it will be good option.

5. mrmann November 27, 2012 3:18 am at 3:18 am

Sounds good, I have been in the gym merry go round before. I hope being local means being committed.

6. tourist19
    tourist19 November 27, 2012 9:53 am at 9:53 am

I want a place with NO long term contract and a price per visit option like yoga studios do. Buy 20 visits and have 3 months to use them. Please please please gyms, try this!

7. readysetdisco
    readysetdisco November 27, 2012 3:04 pm at 3:04 pm

+1 for more locally owned businesses downtown

+1 for affordable rates

will there be a dine and gym package? I want $5 off my membership when I buy two cocktails a month.

8. bucki12 November 27, 2012 4:49 pm at 4:49 pm

Seems like a good deal. I think the downtown apartment complexes come with fitness centers, but not something on this caliber.

9. mrmann November 29, 2012 7:13 am at 7:13 am

Will there be parking available? Someone told me that Lifestyle had parking available for a $1 in the adjacent Fifth Third garage. I imagine the meters around there run until 10pm.

Walker November 29, 2012 9:29 am at 9:29 am

Yeah, there’s parking available in the attached 5/3rd Garage. Yvonne said they were working on a rate with the garage that would probably be either 75 cents or $1 per hour for gym customers.

11. Stephen43215
    Stephen43215 February 3, 2013 9:23 pm at 9:23 pm

My boyfriend and I joined Capital Fitness yesterday. They gave us a pretty good deal for a gym so close to where we live… its exactly the same inside as when Lifestyle owned it except they did some painting and it looks more like a local gym than a chain. We love it so far!

12. BlatinoCMH March 19, 2013 2:38 pm at 2:38 pm

Ive been looking into joining a gym. Most of my friends go to Oxygen in the Short North and I was leaning towards Short North Fitness but now that I see this gym Im totally undecided. I’ll have to come in and check it out soon.

entertainment categories