Art

C-BUS Magazine is ceasing publication

Walker Evans Walker Evans

Derek Grosso, Publisher C-BUS Magazine wrote Dear C-BUS Magazine readers,

After three years of showcasing Columbus’s young professional community, C-BUS Magazine is ceasing publication with its March/April issue, which will be offered online at www.cbusmagazine.com.

I am positive that we succeeded in our mission to connect our readers with local stories on young professionals, business and lifestyle features, great places to dine, area culture and nightlife, and everything else that makes Columbus a great place to live, work, and play.

Faced with a downturn in the current economy and a very weak advertising market (at least for print publications), we decided to reconsider our options and look toward shelving the magazine to focus on some other opportunities. Additionally, since C-BUS was distributed for free – on newsstands, in bulk, and via mail – it became increasingly difficult to continue producing such a high-quality publication and rely solely on advertising revenue in this market.

The bi-monthly publication, which had a circulation of 30,000, and was mailed to more than 12,000 subscribers, had a modest, yet hard-working staff of two full-time, three part-time, and about a dozen local freelance writers and photographers. These people were the heart and soul of the magazine.

I want to send a very special thank you to our devoted staff and contributors, our advertisers, our readers, and all additional supporters for making C-BUS Magazine a positive resource for the entire community. This could not have been accomplished without all of you.

I never thought C-BUS Magazine would be so popular, or grow to reach so many in such a short amount of time. That speaks volumes of the people of Columbus and the entire central Ohio region.

Yours very truly,

Derek Grosso, Publisher

C-BUS, The Magazine That’s Connecting Columbus

54 Responses to C-BUS Magazine is ceasing publication

Walker March 26, 2008 7:48 pm at 7:48 pm

Big thanks to Derek for taking the time to send this notice our way to keep people informed about the situation. I had heard a few rumors flying around the last few days, and it’s always better to get the official word straight from the source.

Personally, I wish him the best with what comes next. :D

2. Outerloop March 26, 2008 8:41 pm at 8:41 pm

Well that just stinks! I love the magazine and the many articles showcasing what Columbus has to offer and the people who make it happen.

3. Zenperson March 26, 2008 8:50 pm at 8:50 pm

Oh no, BrandonPhoto :cry:

4. surber17 March 26, 2008 9:22 pm at 9:22 pm

I agree…..I loved that magazine. I hope they do an online version.

5. CbusIslander
    CbusIslander March 26, 2008 9:38 pm at 9:38 pm

That is unfortunate, I really enjoyed the magazine. Hopefully, it does return in a more limited online version.

6. CMH Gourmand
    CMH Gourmand March 26, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm

7. brandonphoto
    brandonphoto March 26, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm

Great people, those two words describe Derek Grosso and Kristen Mele. Those two were the engine behind this great publication. They put their blood, sweat and tears into that magazine, and it showed. I’ve had the pleasure to work with great writers and photographers, all were very talented and professional. As one of the photographers, I had the great pleasure of going to many events that the magazine covered. One of my favorite events was the Bling Ball at the Wexner Center in 2006.

It’s very sad to see the epitome of the “Little Engine that Could” stop chugging. I’ll miss working with them on a regular basis.

8. bustowner
    bustowner March 26, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm

CMH Gourmand wrote I wrote a few articles for C-Bus so I am biased. Good luck on C-Bus 2.0 whatever that may be. C-Bus was/is much better than C Magazine.

Agreed. C-Bus appears, at least, to hew to some precepts of journalism. C Magazine whores itself out by writing fawning reviews of businesses that commit to ad packages (this from a former employee), and is pretty much just a big ego stroke for its rich boy owner/publisher.

9. Coremodels March 27, 2008 6:55 am at 6:55 am

I enjoyed C Magazine a lot more when they at least had some interesting photography under Kyle Widder…now I’m just bored to tears with it, an actually haven’t looked at one in a year.

CBus I at least downloaded every couple months and found a couple things of interest each time.

10. joev
    joev March 27, 2008 7:28 am at 7:28 am

bustowner wrote

I have to ask about your ailas, Bustowner. At first, I thought you were the very proud owner of a bust. Perhaps of Pallas or Nefertiti or Marcus Aurelius. Then I thought that you were describing your mode of transportation – you take the bus to town – ala Motorist, Cyclist (and Walker.) Then I thought you might be referring to Columbus as Bustown, and declaring yourself a citizen of that place. Which is it?

For each scenario, I propose some illuminating punctiation.

BustOwner

Bus-Towner

‘BusTowner

11. BCOZ March 27, 2008 7:58 am at 7:58 am

I’m bummed…as I not only loved the magazine, but Derek and Kristen are my good neighbors.

Good luck, guys (hopefully you’re reading this)…and let me buy your brunch this Sunday Funday!

B

12. BetsyB March 27, 2008 9:18 am at 9:18 am

13. Coremodels March 27, 2008 9:22 am at 9:22 am

BetsyB wrote Will Miss C-Bus…Hate C Magazine…Dislike Roopan Dey…Not really sure how C Mag makes money anyways cause I have had the inside scoop from their so-called advertisers and what they really pay or don’t pay for their ads…

I believe they utilize the “pay our staff like migrant workers” business model.

Walker March 27, 2008 9:29 am at 9:29 am

joev wrote Then I thought that you were describing your mode of transportation – you take the bus to town – ala Motorist, Cyclist (and Walker.)

:shock:

While I do walk around a lot, my screen-name also appears on my birth certificate. ;)

15. bjboose
    bjboose March 27, 2008 9:30 am at 9:30 am

Speaking of C Magazine–

Roopan Dey’s picture in the beginning of every issue cracks me up. It’s the only thing I look foreward to in the magazine.

He’s got his Blue Steel look down!

16. placebohigh March 27, 2008 9:33 am at 9:33 am

17. f!5hl39
    f!5hl39 March 27, 2008 9:37 am at 9:37 am

CMH Gourmand wrote C-Bus was/is much better than C Magazine.

18. Coremodels March 27, 2008 9:38 am at 9:38 am

placebohigh wrote I also wrote a few articles for C-BUS Magazine so I’m biased as well but I’m very sad to hear it’s ceasing publication. You know it’s bad for journalists when even The NY Times is laying off people. C-BUS was a great publication and hopefully it will return in the future. It was a great concept and really filled a niche not covered by other local publications. The magazine will be missed.

I’m guilty, I admit it. I just don’t read paper anymore, ever, other than books…and even that I’m reading more and more e-books. Hopefully CBus can consider an online version that can generate some advertising dollars with a lot less overhead.

19. Motorist
    Motorist March 27, 2008 9:44 am at 9:44 am

I will miss seeing pictures of rich old people at expensive fundraisers though.

20. Manatee March 27, 2008 9:51 am at 9:51 am

Motorist wrote I read about everything going on in Columbus on Columbus Underground. CU is even making The Alive and TOP obsolete for me.

I will miss seeing pictures of rich old people at expensive fundraisers though.

21. wyliemac
    wyliemac March 27, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am

I’m really bummed out about this news. I’ve worked with Derek and Kristin and they are first class people. I have all the confidence in the world that they will do well with whatever they decide to do next.

- Alvin Borromeo

22. artbomb112 March 27, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am

Manatee wrote

I will miss seeing pictures of rich old people at expensive fundraisers though.

Walker March 27, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am

artbomb112 wrote
    Manatee wrote
    Motorist wrote I will miss seeing pictures of rich old people at expensive fundraisers though.

Perhaps we should start a new section on CU for this. :lol:

24. joev
    joev March 27, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am

But I love seeing photos of rich people at fundraisers! How nice they all are to devote their days to their many philanthropies and martinis!

25. Anne Evans
    Anne March 27, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am

Can still pick up Columbus Monthly for all your Oldies + fancy prom dresses at parties photos. :)

26. Drew March 27, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am

Walker wrote
    artbomb112 wrote
    Manatee wrote

Perhaps we should start a new section on CU for this. :lol:

Those would be ripe for lolcat captions.

27. brandonphoto
    brandonphoto March 27, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am

I will miss seeing pictures of rich old people at expensive fundraisers though.

I’ll miss going to those fundraisers and taking pictures of those rich old people!! :(

28. Cyclist March 27, 2008 5:13 pm at 5:13 pm

Walker wrote

:shock:

Walkist! Sunkist! Drugist. All handles should include the “ist” suffix.

Never nice to see a business close up, I think I looked or read many a C-bus magazine on the john even though I have little interest or commonalities with the contents. I like Uweekly more.

29. BCNation March 29, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm

brandonphoto wrote

I will miss seeing pictures of rich old people at expensive fundraisers though.

It’s sad, very sad. It was my favorite publication. I enjoyed reading what Amy Basista, Mayor Coleman, Lloyd Carr, Dimitrious Stanley, Colleen Marshall, and Jack Hanna loved about Columbus. It was one of a kind. I also liked the young professionals at lunch article. No other magazine did it.

Now, my school’s newspaper is my favorite publication.

RIP- C-Bus Magazine. :( :(

30. Franklin April 2, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am

“C Magazine whores itself out by writing fawning reviews of businesses that commit to ad packages (this from a former employee), and is pretty much just a big ego stroke for its rich boy owner/publisher.”

“Dislike Roopan Dey…”

BestyB and Bustowner really have it in for C Magazine and Roopan Dey. Maybe it’s a case of sour grapes. Or, as Shakespeare would say, doth do protest too much.

Regardless of what you think of C Magazine and Roppan Dey, you must admit that he and his magazine have staying power. Maybe Derek and C-Bus magazine would still be here if he had not stolen a concept and idea from Roopan Dey and tried to repackage it (unsuccesfully) as his own. While imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, purposefully trying to claim a concept as your own, confuse readers, and misrepresent yourself to advertisers is not sincere.

Karma has a way of getting you…

31. BetsyB April 2, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am

If your going to defend something like this, at least make it seem like your not connected to them…

32. blammo
    blammo April 2, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am

BetsyB wrote I am sorry but I don’t think I am alone on the C Magazine thing…People/Readers recognize the shameless mix of advertising and editorial, if your going to do it, at least, specify it somewhere like other print mediums do…Consumers are not as dumb as you like to think. It’s odd that your posts are only on this thread…are you a staff member of C?

Oh yeah, it’s like the ultimate vanity publication. I don’t think it’s remotely close to being taken seriously as a “real” magazine. I know some people who have written some freelance articles for that rag & didn’t get get paid until legal action was threatened. I’m all for Karma having its way too!

33. Franklin April 2, 2008 1:11 pm at 1:11 pm

34. Drew April 2, 2008 2:14 pm at 2:14 pm

blammo wrote Oh yeah, it’s like the ultimate vanity publication. I don’t think it’s remotely close to being taken seriously as a “real” magazine.

I’ll add a ‘hell yeah’ to that.

So Franklin… how many others will have to respond similarly before you’re willing to consider that ‘C’ is not something that those of us who can actually, y’know… read, find to be the least bit appealing?

I don’t think anyone has a grudge, I think they just regret the effort they put into picking up the magazine. Roopan’s suave visage can only captivate for so long! :lol:

35. Anne Evans
    Anne April 2, 2008 2:31 pm at 2:31 pm

I don’t mind C Magazine. I think their 9 for $9 deals is a nice column. The only thing I don’t like about it is that most of the issues have a cover that don’t really seem to be about Columbus. But I think for a fun glossy magazine to pick up and flip through it is just that.

36. BetsyB April 3, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm

Franklin wrote No, I don’t work for them, not am I related in any way. It seems as if you have grudge though.

nope, no grudge, I think you can have a dislike for something or someone without it being a grudge. I dislike tomatoes, but I don’t have a grudge against them, I will still eat ketchup and spaghetti sauce.

37. CDS sherman
    CDS sherman April 3, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm

yeah i saw some limo pull up at the sn tavern on st pattys day. i guess the guy that puts out one of those mags rented the limo and had all of his friends with him. the guy was maybe indian? must have been c mag anyways. his crowd was rude and loud and the publisher sat outside in the limo with all these nasty girls with some fog hat blaring out of the limo. it was soooo chessy that i started to laugh at them. i was like dude come on man. it was like watching them film that movie blow or something. way over the top stupid. ive never met the guy, i would assume that hes nice but after seeing that spectical, if thats how he rolls good luck with that….

38. Manatee April 3, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sherm!!

39. CDS sherman
    CDS sherman April 3, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm

Manatee wrote :lol: :lol: :lol: Sherm!!

well its true girl.. i calls it as i sees it.. they had these really gay looking designer shirts on too. and the huge sunglasses. it was midnight people!

ok i’ll stop. :lol:

40. blammo
    blammo April 3, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm

Manatee wrote :lol: :lol: :lol: Sherm!!

Hey Ms. Manatee, yesterday were you boppin’ along Buttles towards Neil? I thought I saw you. I was the guy with long hair on an obnoxiously loud motorcycle. If that wasn’t you, then your evil twin has escaped, so heads up!

I was gonna say, C Magazine seems to cater to the “men who wear shirts that reflect light” crowd.

41. Manatee April 3, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm

What alerted you to my presence… my gigantic orange pumpkin coat? :lol: It’s kind of like how animals use bright colors to show they’re poisonous.

Kind of like shiny shirts too :lol:

42. CDS sherman
    CDS sherman April 3, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm

blammo wrote

YES!!! i love it…

43. blammo
    blammo April 3, 2008 1:03 pm at 1:03 pm

Manatee wrote Yeah, that was me. I saw you too, and thought it was you, but you know… I can’t run as fast as your contraption can drive, so there you have it :)

Kind of like shiny shirts too :lol:

Yeah, from a distance my first thought was “look at that amazing pumpkin!” then I got a little closer and thought “wait…I know the contents of that pumpkin!” but I thought it would be a little weird if I pulled up on the sidewalk in front of you, skidded to a stop, turned off the bike, took off my gloves and helmet, and then realized it wasn’t you. You seemed to have the eye of the tiger going on, so I wasn’t sure I wanted to interfere with your flow. Plus I was also afraid if I stopped, I wouldn’t get my bike started again. The joys of vintage vehicle ownership. So a belated “hi” to you!

sorry for the derail. Back to Shiny Shirt Monthly!

44. Columbuzz
    Columbuzz April 3, 2008 1:31 pm at 1:31 pm

I gotta say, I think both publications kind of suck.

But it’s interesting, to me anyway, the differences between both publishers. Roopan overdelivered to the point that it hurt his publication and Derek underdelivered constantly.

Advertisers are okay with C-Mag because it really doesn’t cost them anything – just annoyed that the magazine has turned out to be really shitty and can’t get done on time. On the other hand, they were fed up with C-Bus because they didn’t want to work with Derek. For free publications who rely solely on ad revenue, that kinda sucks for both of them.

I called both of their demise simply based on the way they conduct their business… just didn’t see c-bus going down first.

Somebody really needs to step up and create a legit, quality publication aimed at the YP demographic who also knows how to attract and retain businesses and ad revenue.

45. Manatee April 3, 2008 1:41 pm at 1:41 pm

I don’t pick up those mags because I don’t want to read what I perceive to be “canned and dated” content. I’d rather read user-generated stuff.

46. Columbuzz
    Columbuzz April 3, 2008 1:59 pm at 1:59 pm

Manatee wrote I honestly don’t think print is where it’s at for YP’s, and I think these magazines reflect that.

That’s not necessarily what all YP’s think and want, though… I just don’t think either publication was/is done very well and advertisers are reluctant.

For instance, both of their web sites just plain suck. C-Mag may not even have one up and running – the last time I ever remember looking it up, it was an outdated blog. And the last time I even checked C-Bus, you could download a .pdf of the current issue. Exciting.

But integrating the two would be very effective. Alive’s doing a good job of that, for example.

47. Manatee April 3, 2008 2:04 pm at 2:04 pm

Yeah, the Alive is doing better with integrating. But I’d still rather read CU

Or like, a book. ‘Cause free time is limited around here.

48. blammo
    blammo April 3, 2008 2:06 pm at 2:06 pm

49. CDS sherman
    CDS sherman April 3, 2008 2:07 pm at 2:07 pm

well if those magazines represented the yp’s in cols than count me out… but i never counted myself as in either. its all way too trendy for me. i guess i just like doing my own thing.

50. CDS sherman
    CDS sherman April 3, 2008 2:10 pm at 2:10 pm

blammo wrote I like doing lines of blow off of the shiny covers of C-Magazine. It just feels right.

hmm lines of blow off the covers of magazines… hey you want to fix yo shit tomorow. im bored. :D

51. Manatee April 3, 2008 2:14 pm at 2:14 pm

Have you ever tried putting another coat of shine on the mag before you do that? Mindblowing!!

52. Columbuzz
    Columbuzz April 3, 2008 2:17 pm at 2:17 pm

Manatee wrote Yeah, the Alive is doing better with integrating. But I’d still rather read CU

Or like, a book. ‘Cause free time is limited around here.

+1 :)

Walker April 3, 2008 5:17 pm at 5:17 pm

C-BUS Magazine is ceasing publication

54. Columbuzz
    Columbuzz April 10, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm

An even quicker publication to fold than CBUS….

Skybussing, the official in-flight magazine of Skybus, is done after two issues. They didn’t even have a chance to put up a “come advertise with us” page.

art categories