Bicycling Magazine: Columbus A Future Best City

Stu Nicholson Stu Nicholson

Bicycling Magazine wrote Future Best Cities: Columbus & Fargo-Moorehead

By Brian Fiske

Columbus, Ohio

What happens when you cross a citywide fitness initiative, Commit to be Fit, with an environmentally friendly “green pact” signed by the mayor? A sudden interest in bikes.

Columbus is working on its first bike master plan since 1993, and every indication is that it’s going to be a whopper. Mayor Michael Coleman has already pledged $50 million for bike and pedestrian transportation and has linked the bike plan with the city’s 2012 bicentennial by naming it the Bicentennial Bikeways Plan.

Related Stories:

- Milton Avenue to Become Bike Boulevard

- City Council makes bike helmets for kids mandatory

- Columbus City Council OKs 100 miles of bike paths

- Bicycle Boulevards Part Of Path Plan

7 Responses to Bicycling Magazine: Columbus A Future Best City

Walker November 26, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am

Nice!

2. Cyclist November 26, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm

I did not know Andrea Cambern had so much to do with cycling.

Another nod to Cols. I think we can be the bike capitol of Ohio/Indiana/WV/Michigan/KY region. Not the midwest since Chicago and Madison are big bike towns.

3. Columbusite November 26, 2008 7:13 pm at 7:13 pm

4. lifeontwowheels November 26, 2008 8:15 pm at 8:15 pm

Columbusite wrote We just need to make more major residential streets perfect for bikes and toss cyclists a bone when it comes to crossing a river or a highway. King Ave is a great example. And how they’ll paint a bike lane (which is the plan since cars are still the #1 priority even though there exists a plethora of highways and arterials) on here I don’t know, since there’s a median near Cannon Dr where there is no room for a car and a bike to be side-by-side, let alone a truck and a bike. We need a bolder (an adjective this city fears), more expansive bike-boulevard system than the measly, disjointed one in the plan.

The nice thing is that this is very doable and low cost in parts of the city-Harrison West is a great example, especially in the circles. Just toss up some bike signs, throw some paint on the asphalt and have some directional sign to the OBT and other notable places.

Overall I’m happy with the direction the city is going. The stance the Mayor and Council have taken over the last few years regarding alternative transportation options is pretty bold considering the attitude in the city essentially boils down to “our highways are our mass transit”.

If anyone is interested in the next steps forward, there are a few public meetings coming up to get input and discuss the changes to Columbus city code regarding bikes. There was a lot of input given by everyday cyclists to address issues in the new code before it became official.

5. Columbusite November 27, 2008 1:57 pm at 1:57 pm

Walker November 30, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am

Columbusite wrote i’m sure you’ll keep us posted, I have to rework my schedule in advance in order to attend these.

You need to take bolder steps to make sure to attend these meetings on topics that you so angrily care about.

7. Columbusite November 30, 2008 2:30 pm at 2:30 pm

I keep them up to date, and probably annoyingly so, electronically. I guess I could just skip work even when I’m denied a schedule change. It’s not like I need money to live.